2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - djgeorgef
hi all

i have a peugeot 406 rapier, 2001 (y) and 1.8l.

every now and again the speedo stops working, the fuel guage dies, and the whole dash will reset itself as if you turned the key on and off, and you get the oil level indicator and milage to next service on the lcd display. also get random 'brake fluid level low' caption on the radio/clock display and handbrake light flashes!! the interesting thing is that each of these faults appear to have a mind of their own and happen individually, and cannot be replicated! also the trip computer freezes up when the speedo or fuel guage dies!
i have removed the dash and checked the soldering as suggested in other posts.
i have also had garage diagnostic work carried out and they confirmed that the speed and fuel sender units are working but (sods law) they could not replicate the faults!!!!
other posts suggested changing the interface unit but apparently my car doesn't have one!! have also checked all power supplies and all appears ok!

my inckling is that its the dash as this is the only common thing for all the faults. just wondering if anyone else has had any experience similar to this!?!

cheers

george
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - DP
I ran a 2000 406 2.0 HDi as a company car for a while, and that had problems similar to yours, with the addition that sometimes the speedo and rev counter needles would jump around like crazy. If this happened when stationary, miles would get wound onto the odometer! It made mileage breakdowns very interesting that month.

In this case, a complete new instrument panel was fitted under warranty which cured the problem. I think this was about the only fault my local Peugeot dealer diagnosed and fixed first time.

Edited by DP on 21/11/2008 at 16:28

thanks!!

i have tracked down a new/(second hand) dash! does anyone know if the milage stays with the dash or will it automatically update itself to the actual car mileage when i put it into the car? if not how do i get around this???

cheers

george

Edited by djgeorgef on 26/11/2008 at 22:41

2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Screwloose

It's not certain; but it may be stored in both the dash-pod and the BSI. If that's the case with yours, then it will show whichever was the higher reading.
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Kim Stub
Hi George

I have an almost similar car with a similar problem (Peugeot 406 2.0 ST 1999)
I have also disassembled my dash and checked the solderings.
Even thought the soldering seemed to be OK I re-soldered the dash.
Unfortunately this didn?t solve my problem.
I am therefore curiosity, have you replaced your dash?
If so did it help?

Br Kim
Denmark
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Andrew-T
Does this behaviour occur only in cold weather? SWMBO's Clio 2000 did pretty well what you describe when it was started in freezing temps. Selling dealer said 'it could be several things - keep an eye on it'. It happened once or twice a year - never did anything about it as it only lasted for seconds and didn't seem to have any awkward consequences.
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Kim Stub
The failure occurred first time at summertime, and has continued until now (Ambient temperature going from -12c to 32c)
Once failing, the failure continues for several minutes or hours, with an interval of few or several days.
I have not notices any pattern whatsoever.

Br Kim

Edited by Kim Stub on 09/01/2009 at 21:19

2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Mick Snutz
I do't have any words of advice but welcome to the world of Peugeot ownership!

My 2001 2.0 diesel 110 recently had a left indicator which wouldn't turn off. It made driving very interesting especially on roundabouts!

Only the other night, I started the engine and the engine immobiliser warning came on. I'd never seen it before but it started ok and I haven't seen it since.

Good old French electrics I guess.

Still, keeps things interesting I guess.
hi all

finally got around to fitting the dash, (which was alot easier than i thought it would be!!!) it has cured the fuel and 'shut down' faults but the speedo is still intermittant!! the only other thing in the system is the speed sender on the gearbox which is about £100 pounds from peugeot and for that money i think i'll put up with it for now!! the mileage did revert to the highest value, i got lucky and found a dash with less miles on it than the one i had so the mileage reverted back to my original figure!!

cheers

george
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - Reggie
I have a 1998 406 2.1 td which had a faulty speedo......although I don't think that the other gauges caused problems. The cure was a small box of electronics behind the glove box.

I'm not sure if other models of the 406 have this "electronic box" and so this may be leading you to a dead end, but you could always ask your dealer if your 406 has one.

I have enclosed the thread link;

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7463&m...e

This should be the link to the "cure."

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7463&m...e

Edited by Reggie on 11/02/2009 at 15:50

hi there

my 406 doesn't have this box!! aparrently its been built into the engine management computer n lter models!
2001 1.8 intermittant instrument readings - steve_earwig
It only seems to exist on the 2.1, on other 406s it's either dodgy joins on the dash (which you've eliminated) or the sender. Breakers?