Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Teagueirt
Hey guys,

I?ve had permission from the Admin (HonestJohn) to post here on behalf of The History Channel, about season 2 of Ice Road Truckers, A show that seems to have some followers here. We are currently looking for your feedback and thoughts on the series, all of which will be taken on board.

We also have a great chance for all fans of the show! We want you guys to submit your questions to Hugh from the show, we will put the best ones to him in an interview later this month?

So, ever wondered how cold it gets, how treacherous it is, and what it?s really like to be trucking out on the Ice Roads?

Post your questions here and the best ones will be asked to Hugh? Of course, we?ll let you know of the answer?

Thanks for your time, and we look forward to hearing your feedback/questions.

:)
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Spospe
Does the deisel fuel for the trucks have to be heated and if so how is that done?
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - bhoy wonder
Are the trucks life span shortened due to the conditions?

Apart from getting the truck serviced are the trucks ever turned off?

Do you have to be crazy to do the job? ; o)
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Screwloose

What are the temperatures quoted in the programme? Farenheit? Celcius?

Are the quoted minus figures below 0 o F or the freezing point of water?

What drugs do they take to stay awake?
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Bagpuss
What drugs do they take to stay awake?

I seem to remember from the first series they do actually subject the drivers to drug tests and someone failed, which caused his employment to be immediately terminated. Can't remember what the drug was though.

Great series on the whole but done to death in the US. They repeat each episode about 6 times a week and then reshow the whole series about 6 months later.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - corblimeyguvnar
>> What drugs do they take to stay awake?
I seem to remember from the first series they do actually subject the drivers to
drug tests and someone failed which caused his employment to be immediately terminated. Can't remember
what the drug was though.

Amphetamines would be my guess.

CBG
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - stunorthants26
I watch it every week and certainly enjoy it. I would say though that the commentry is repetitive and by the end of the programme, annoying.
More technical info on the skills they use to drive on the roads, what gears they use etc, would be great for those of us who dont drive trucks.
Oh and no offense to Hugh, it may be the editing, but his almost constant 'im a tough guy' bits can grate - I respect his attitude to work, but not the self-promoting stuff.

I have a couple of questions for Hugh - has he given that Rick a good smack in the mouth? I only ask because by goodness does he moan, and moan, and moan .... must have been tempting atleast!

Also, may seem like an odd question, but what is the diet like up there? After seeing Alex fly off for his scan, I wondered if that kind of driving in that enviroment makes it difficult to stay in good health and eat well.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - bathtub tom
I'd like to have seen more detail about making the road, but there was a ten minute programme in each hour.
I turned off after the second instalment.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - mattbod
I haven't seen this on over here but it was on cable tv all the time when I was working in Belize last year. I think it is a great series an admire the risks the guys take. Is the first series available as a region 2 DVD?

Like to see and hear more about the lorries and engines and stuff. Turns most people off I know but I'd like to know about the Peterbuilts, Macks, Freightliners etc and the advantages or disadvantages of running a Cummins over a Detroit or a Cat.....Just an anorak I guess but would like to know the best rig/engine combo.

Edited by Mattbod on 21/11/2008 at 17:09

Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - henry k
Are the land roads useable all year round?
If so why not use a RoRo Hovercraft all year round for the lake bits?

Can we have a little more background info on all aspects of life up there?
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - doctorchris
Can I bring my Panda 4x4 over and drive on the ice with the truckers, please? I promise it won't fall through.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Westpig
i'm hooked on the programme....

Q: Does he think the safety system(s) is/are up to the mark e.g. speed limit adherence, vehicle maintenance procedures, driver training, search and rescue procedures, etc

the programme touches on them now and again e.g. mentioning the wave effect under the ice...but then you watch Rick speeding and smashing hell out of his sump or Alex disappearing into nowhere because he's taken a wrong turn and is unsure which radio channel to call up on
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Ben 10
Saw the whole of the first series and enjoyed it very much. Why make a second series. Much the same content.
Thanks for your questions guys...

I'll be talking to Hugh later today and putting some of your questions to him.

Last chance if anyone wants to submit anymore!
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Westpig
How's Alex?

(The next programme after him going into hospital wouldn't record for me due to a continuous dodgy signal on the History Channel)
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - massey
Commentry is too repetitive and repeat scenes most annoying
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - FotheringtonThomas
How cold does it get, how treacherous is it, and what it?s really like to be trucking out on the Ice Roads?

;)
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - billy25
Why don't the trucks use oversize balloon tyres to spread the load, and reduce surface pressure on the ice?
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - steveo3002
agree with those that say alot of content is repeated and gone over and over

Hi again all,

Thanks for all the questions submitted... We picked a few and asked them during our interview with Hugh last Thursday.

You can find the interview on the Ice Road Truckers Facebook page here - www.facebook.com/pages/Ice-Road-Truckers/265890723...s

Thanks all for you're feedback and support of the show, and for getting involved with the interview.

Also - Many thanks to the forum for allowing us to carry it out.

:)
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - maz64
New series tomorrow (Wednesday) channel 5, 8pm.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Robin Reliant
sq
I'm looking forward to that, it's the best motoring related programme on TV for years.

Edited by Pugugly on 06/01/2009 at 21:25

Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Robin Reliant
Will Drew run home again or will he change his mind and stay?

"Honey" didn't seem too happy when he phoned home to say he had quit after two days.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - BobbyG
I know this is dragging up an old thread, but............

Remember when you were wee and watched Dukes of Hazzard, A Team and Knight Rider, not to mention The Professionals, and you were in awe of all the car stuff they did and how fantastic it all was?

And then you watched the repeats on cable as a 40 year old and cringed at all the glaring edits, fake shots, unrealistic stories etc?

Well I watched Ice Road Truckers today, not sure what channel but it was an episode where some woman was driving as well and I just thought, they are making far more out of this that really is the risk.

There was a huge build up with loits of walkie talkie and strange camera angles because.... they were passing another lorry coming the other way! Wow, nearly had me off the edge of my seat, especially when the woman driver indicated there had only been inches between them but the onboard camera showed you could nearly have got a double decker bus between them!

The 2 lorries going down the ice covered road, lorry behind couldn't get his low gears and so was closing on lorry in front. Well I am sure he was, but since we had helicopter angles and various drive by shots over the course of this hill, something tells me it wasn't too "unrehearsed".

And the lead pick up got an issue with its wheel so the woman driver had to go on alone - I am sure we couldn't have predicted that storyline eh? Can pull upside down rigs out of ditches but they can't fix the wheel on a pick up..... Mmm...

OK, we know its risky, we know its cold and icy but I really do think this program should have stopped after a 1 hour documentary! Its as predictable and realistic as Top Gear....
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Nsar
Didn't see this thread first time, but my question would have been:

Has anything even remotely interesting ever happened to any of the drivers?

Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - Harleyman
My guess is that a lot of the "situations" are contrived.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - SteelSpark
I watched a couple of episodes a while back but, as some have said above, I found it repetitive and the risks perhaps over emphasised. The same with the Axemen series that seem to tap into the same vein of potentially risky jobs - again not much happened.

I found Trawlerman great in the first series, but then again a bit repetative in the second (no doubts about the risks being real though). The U.S. show about the guys drilling for oil, is the one that really pushed my button in this particular TV niche.
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - CGNorwich
"Didn't see this thread first time, but my question would have been:

Has anything even remotely interesting ever happened to any of the drivers?"

and "How much do they eat to get so fat?"
Ice Road Truckers - Ask Hugh Anything - zookeeper
theres a new one on at the minute about american building site workers, i imagine the bit with the painter and decorators will be a riveting good watch :) theres nowt like a good session of watching paint drying
Ice Road Truckers - Robin Reliant
Are they highly skilled drivers braving conditions that mere mortals wouldn't be able to handle, or a bunch of drama queens who wouldn't last five minutes on the M25?

I am tending toward the latter, but what do our resident truckers think?
Ice Road Truckers - gordonbennet
Sorry RR can't abide it, watched a couple episodes of first series, bored me to tears i'm afraid, so unable to comment.

If the first programs had been more 'technical' and informative going into more depth on vehicle preparation and maintenance instead of turning it into a soap i'd have enjoyed it, though probably the target audience wouldn't.
Ice Road Truckers - crunch_time
Just about watchable if there's nothing better on.

Can't stand those fat oafs with their moronic chuckling or bleeping every few words.

Quite admire that girl though - nicer looking than your avarage female truck driver.

Ice Road Truckers - pda
I'm like GB, I watched a couple of episodes and it did nothing for me.

Having done a bit of filming in a lorry I know just how remote from real life it is and I suspect this is just the same.

Pat