Car Vacuum Cleaners - drbe
It has come to my attention that the second deputy under chauffeur who is also occasionally allowed to vacuum the interior of some of my cars, has asked for a hand-held vacuum cleaner.

What would be the best tool for the job? Battery operated or the plug in cigarette lighter type?

As usual, my thanks in anticipation.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - Ian (Cape Town)
In my experience, they all have about as much sucking power as an asthmatic bee.
Even my rorty R2D2 type, 100)+ watts home vacuum cleaner doesn't do a decent job on the car carpets - i use a dustpan-and-brush brush to corall all the sand, fag-ash, dead insects and leaves into one corner, then hoover that pile of stuff out.

Car Vacuum Cleaners - Stuartli
I use our Sebo upright vacuum cleaner in conjunction with a mains extension lead - the Sebo could tackle an M and S store, never mind leaving a modest VW Bora squeaky clean within 15 minutes...:-)
Car Vacuum Cleaners - rtj70
I'm with Ian on the small hand held cleaners for the car - the ones I've tried as pretty useless. Use the one from the house on an extension cable.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - Ian (Cape Town)
Yeah! Really *&^% off the neighbours on a sunday morning!

The advantage of the household one id that it comes with a variety of nozzles and attachments, and reaches more bnooks and crannies than the brush and the mini-vacs does.
Also, because the R2D2 unit is normally outside the car, the stale dog/fag/damp carpet smell etc is zapped into the atmosphere, NOT recirced back into the car.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - Dynamic Dave
The rechargable one I bought a couple of years ago from LIDL is ok providing its done regularly. As said though, the one from indoors does a much better job. I just use the rechargable one for picking up small stones and general fluff from the footwells and then blitz the car every 6 months or so with the one from indoors.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - Old Navy
Yeah! Really *&^% off the neighbours on a sunday morning!

My pressure washer is better for that, much noisier.

I use a rechargable hand held vax for minor tidy ups, you cant beat SWMBO's mains machine for serious clean ups. Makes it difficult to plead ignorance of operation later though.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - ifithelps
Henry
Car Vacuum Cleaners - J500ANT
Ive got an old Dyson snail shaped thing for doing the cars, but i've heard good reports about the Dyson rechargable hand held thing. £99 tho, its a bit vinegary ;)
Car Vacuum Cleaners - oilrag
Same here - Henry.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - drbe
I am really looking for a hand-held job, either rechargeable battery or 12v cigarette lighter socket type.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - oilrag
Sorry drbe,
They seem so low powered though (and bulky) compared with a good domestic mains powered unit.
I had one as a present, years ago and although one of the better makes, it was effectively useless.
Contrasted against the Henry - that is.

Edited by oilrag on 20/11/2008 at 13:18

Car Vacuum Cleaners - rtj70
Would it be possible to run a more powerful handheld type cleaner (like a Dyson) using an inverter for the 12v supply?

Edit... Actually Dyson do a handheld with a Lithium Ion power back. Not sure how good the cheaper one is but spec/price for Argos is here:

tinyurl.com/5bn2r7

Not it only runs for minutes on a full charge!

Edited by rtj70 on 20/11/2008 at 13:55

Car Vacuum Cleaners - skorpio
Woolworths (I think they're still trading!) were selling a 12v invertor which supplied power to any household 3 pin plug item. It plugged straight into the ciggie lighter socket. I guess it saves having extension cables trailing everywhere especially if you happen to live on the top floor of a block of flats!
Car Vacuum Cleaners - FotheringtonThomas
You'll need at least 1KW, approx., from your inverter, which is a) Expensive in machinery, and b) a big drain on juice - certainly won't work off the cigarette lighter.
Car Vacuum Cleaners - FotheringtonThomas
You can get extension hoses from Numatic - I've a couple of these for cleaning indoors, and they'd make it much easier to vacuum the car, should it ever need it.