06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - cnewell7
I'm considering buying a 2006 Focus Diesel that has been parked on a drive for 3 months. I've discovered that the vehicle has never been driven during this time because it is untaxed (SORN). Good practice would have been to take this car out at least once a week to at keep things ticking over and lubricated

I've already been told that the battery is flat which may necessiate a new one - I'm ready for that. However, my concerns are more around whether the brakes/gears/wheel bearings or something worse may have seized up. I've no mechanical expertise so wonder whether it's worth paying for a full RAC vehicle check. I'll be test driving the car on Saturday so If everything sounds and appears normal maybe a check isn't necessary?

Any advice would be much appreciated

PS In terms of driving the car away, if it is currently SORN what do I have to do as a new buyer. Do I have some grace period to drive off and get the tax sorted?

Edited by Webmaster on 19/11/2008 at 20:58

06 1.8 Ford Focus Undriven for 3 Months - Scoodle
Three months really isn't that bad! I reckon the only things you'll notice will be surface rust on the brake discs. They might 'bind' momentarily as you first set off (and release with a clunk!), and also squeal when you apply the brakes, but a few gentle applications should clean them up and sort it.

I don't see bearings and such like suffering from a 3 month sitting. If you do end up buying, try and negotiate the price of a darn good service into the haggle - diesels should have very regular (twice yearly) oil changes at the least, and you'd want to start your new life with this car with clean oil, especially after it sitting there.

As far as SORN goes - I dunno! The 'grace period' is a bit of a fallacy in any case, I believe. In theory it should be fully legal before being driven. Obviously, you wouldn't risk driving it without insurance, but I understand lack of tax is 'ok' if, say, the car needs MOTing, and you're making your way to an actual booking. Has the MOT expired? If so, book it in for when you collect the car!
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Rob E
Hi,

In terms of the SORN, I'm not sure.

In terms of the 3 month sitting, I don't see why it should be a problem. My parents have been leaving their 2002 Yaris sitting from December to March every year since 2004 (while they're abroad). The first couple of years the battery wasn't even flat on their return (typical Toyota). Now on their return the battery is always flat, but a quick jump and it fires up first time. My Dad then takes it on a long run and all is fine.

Make sure you only apply the brakes very lightly for the first few miles (where possible) so as to scrub off the rust on the discs.

3 months doesn't seem to do a petrol engine any harm, but of course a diesel might be slightly different.

Good luck, and bear in mind that a lot of cars sitting on garage forecourts have been sitting for longer than 3 months (especially in the current climate!).
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Javalin
If its not taxed (aka SORN'd) then the only time its allowed on public roads is to go for an booked MOT test. If it has an MOT then you'd need to go give some cash to the post office before going on the road......

(obviously this is because you need MOT before you can get tax....)

Of course if it goes on the road it needs some insurance as well!!!

(but you can insure anything...)

James

Edited by Javalin on 20/11/2008 at 09:14

06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Screwloose

If it's an '06, then it won't need an MOT.
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Saltrampen
Buying Cars like this (No Tax / SORN) has cropped up a few times with work colleagues.
First get some insurance, even Temp insurance will do.
Get insurance certificate sent to you (1 - 2 days wait?).

Then get the filled V5 green slip from owner/seller indicating transfer of ownership and take with you, with certificate, to a post office with a filled in tax application form (not sure of code, but blank copy can be downloaded online) - apply for Tax.

Tax - grace period - if lucky you maybe to persaude a generous Traffic cop, but not a Plate reading camera (unless anyone knows different!).

Trouble with above is that you have to wait for ins. certificate and get owner to handover V5
while post offices are still open (unless they are prepared to give V5 before getting any money).

06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - MVP
I think you'll find most "new" cars have not been moved for periods well over 3 months - there are airfields full of them

MVP
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Javalin
car tax application form online is on www.direct.gov.uk so;

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...b

or more generally,

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowTo...e

James
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Armitage Shanks {p}
You may find that the clutch has seized = won't release, so starting the engine may move the car! Be careful out there! Obviously this is only if it has been left parked in gear - if in neutral no prob.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 20/11/2008 at 17:20

06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Armitage Shanks {p}
car tax application = tinyurl.com/69cums

or more generally

tinyurl.com/6ynem9

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 20/11/2008 at 19:03

06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - Fullchat
My Focus does not seem to like being stood for long with the handbrake applied particularly if the brakes are damp. The shoes stick to the drums.
A large lump of wood under the front and back of the tyre and then rock backwards and forwards should break the binding.
The car is capable of just dragging a seized back wheel along.
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - cnewell7
Thanks for all the replies, very helpful

I've found that the car hasn't been declared SORN but has just been untaxed and sat on a driveway whilst awaiting sale? Is this legal? - I thought you had to SORN a vehicle if you decided not to tax it i.e. one or the other?
06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - jc2
It is not legal-it must be taxed or Sorn'ed.

Edited by jc2 on 21/11/2008 at 16:31

06 1.8 - Undriven for 3 Months - bathtub tom
What if the seller is a dealer?