98 1.4 Engine Problem - Winwynd
Hi, I am a newbie to the forum and was recommended by a work mate. The problem I am having is in three parts, and I am sorry if this is a bit long winded,
1. If I go out to my car in the morning it will start no bother, after running for any length of time if I stop the car and try to restart it say within half an hour or so it will not start. The engine turns over ok but does not catch. If I put my accelerator hard to the floor it will usually start, cough and splutter for a few secs than run ok.
However if after stopping the car and I leave it for a couple of hours it starts no problem.
2. While the car is running and I have to stop a lights or a junction and the car is in idle mode, the idle speed (900-1000rpm) sometimes is ok, sometimes jumps to 2000-2500 rpm and either stays there for a couple of secs or pulses up and down for a couple of secs.
3.When I go to pull away from said lights or junction sometimes car is ok, sometimes the car just seems to die and if I don?t get my clutch in fast enough, it stalls, then trouble starting again as in no1, if I do get the clutch in I rev a few times and car pulls away.
I had the car in my local garage who is usually pretty good, but he cannot get to the bottom of it., he has serviced the car changed spark plugs the ht leads and the last thing was he changed the exhaust return control valve, all to no avail.
I would be grateful if anyone with any help could give some advice.
98 1.4 Engine Problem - Screwloose

The coolant temp sensor - or the connexion to it - would be the first thing that I'd check.
98 1.4 Engine Problem - Winwynd
Hi Afraid I dont know my way around the engine so where would I find the sensor
98 1.4 Engine Problem - Screwloose

Finding it wouldn't be the problem - checking it would. It's always best to check the readings from these things in live-data on a scanner. You local garage will likely have one.