99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Dr4d
Having owned my 306 for a number of years I have noticed a tendency for the front passenger side tyre to wear on the outer edge. I have had the wheels aligned at my local tyre fitters on a number of occasions. I have also heard the 306 can be to quite hard on it's tyres.

Does anyone have any insight into this? The tyre is now starting to look worn on the outer edge again. Should I just get another alignment done or do I need to have the issue investigated further?

Being technically ignorant when it comes to anything car, any advice will be gratefully received!
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - FP
Almost certainly caused by "normal" driving - my much-trusted local tyre place tells me a lot of drivers experience more wear on the outer edge of the nearside front tyre as a result of driving round roundabouts enthusiastically.

You could slow down a bit on roundabouts - or put in some kilometres in the continent, to even things up a bit. Or swap the front tyres round. :-)
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Dr4d
Ah, So its all those roundabouts that are to blame! My partner is also an enthusiastic driver around roundabouts (if not more so) in her Ford Ka! I have not noticed the tyre wear to the same extent on her car. Is that just down to the design of the Peugeot?

Thanks for your patience with the uneducated.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Peter.N.
If the problem was caused by alignment you would have wear on both tyres, so I think the explanation given is about right.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Dr4d
Thanks both for the replies. I am sure you're right. Just wondered if some cars were more prone than others. Thought maybe my Pug tended to load the tyre more when cornering.

Edited by Dr4d on 11/11/2008 at 12:30

99 1.6 Tyre Wear - FP
Somebody far more expert than me would have to answer that. Perhaps it depends on the front/rear weight distribution, the amount of torque transmitted to the wheels and so on, and perhaps it does vary from car to car (not just from driver to driver, if you see what I mean). Maybe the design of the tyre comes into it as well.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Dr4d
Well, thanks for taking the trouble to answer. I will get the front tyres switched when I get the chance. I now understand the reason for the wear and it makes a lot of sense when I think about it.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Andrew-T
My 306 also accumulates wear on the outer shoulders of its tyres. I switch them front to back as appropriate, and was advised of wear on the RHS rear at its last MoT - that is the opposite side to yours, so I don't buy the roundabout theory. (Most of my shoulder wear takes place on the front before I switch the wheels).

I would have expected wear to be heavier on the RHS as cornering is probably tighter when turning left - because we drive on the left and follow a tighter curve by the kerb instead of by the center line. Maybe it is just due to small inaccuracies in the geometry somewhere (which probably can't be easily corrected).
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - ashgooner7
hi i work in a tyre garage where we specailise in alignment. most vehicles will wear the outer edge of the nsf tyre (due to roundabouts) as already said by someone else. The problem increases when you have heavier vehicles and/or taller vehicles, this is because its all about weight being distributed to the outer edge of the tyre. There are other factors which could contribute to the problem eg worn suspension or mis-alignment. Another factor could be in the specification of the alignment as the toe spec is for the wheels to toe in ( which can cause wear on the outer edge) and the camber, as the 306 can have positive camber (top of wheel leans out, therefore runs on outer edge) upto half a degree. hope this is useful. Ashley
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Andrew-T
Ash - is there any evidence for this roundabout theory? It seems to me that the NSF tyre will wear while the car is going 'round' but the OSF will wear when joining and leaving the roundabout - as well as wearing more on left-hand turns as I said above. Also my NSF is no more worn than the OSF.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Dr4d
Ashley - Thanks for the insight. I kind of figured it was something relating to weight distribution when roundabouts were mentioned. Regarding the camber - I have also noticed that my 306's front wheels do look as if they lean when compared to the rear. Would you say the best course of action would be to get the tyres switched around regularly? Is it worth having the alignment checked at the same time?

Thanks
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Bill Payer
Mine (Merc C Class) wear heavily on the ouside edges, a bit more on the nearside that the offside. I'm told all Mercs do this and it's also a RWD thing. Can't swap to rear as rears are wider. Really only use the car for long motorway runs so roundabouts not a significant factor.

I've just changed the tyres which weren't cheap and there was still 4-5mm on the bulk of the tread. I did wonder (afterwards) if I could have the tyres taken off and turned around - they're not directional or marked inside / outside - does anyone ever do this?
andrew-t there is some evidence to support this theroy, if you are a formula 1 fan, you will notice on a clockwise track the cars wear the outer edge of the left front tyre quicker and on anti-clockwise outer edge of the right front. As for the idea of wearing the outer edge of the osf when exiting a roundabout i'd say not likely as you turn to the right when going round, and when you exit all you really do is straighten up to come off. except when takin the first exit, which usually isn't as sharp a turn as going round the roundabout. personally i think there maybe something wrong with your allignment, or something worn on the suspension.

dr4d its not recomended to move the wheels around on vehicles as the tyres which are the most worn are more likely to get punctures. so if you move the most worn tyres to the rear you increase the chance of getting a puncture and if you dont notice you increase the chance of it blowing out. If a tyre blows out on the rear its harder to control, if its on the front you have steering and braking to help control it, aslo if you have the most worn tyres on the rear you increase the chance of the car spinning espcialy in the wet.

bill its not recommeneded to spin the tyres on the rim either, (thinking bout this i sound like a salesman!) as once a tyre starts wearing uneven it will always wear this way, so example you turn it around forget about it, police pull you over and there's cord exposed on the inner edge which you haven't noticed as you cant see it, you could end up with 3 points per tyre and upto £2500 fine per tyre. It might be an idea just to get your allignment checked, you dont need to go to a main dealer, just someone with decent alignment equiptment, something like the Hunter DSP 600.

if you think there is anything else you think i can help with just ask
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - Bill Payer
and there's cord exposed on the inner edge which you haven't noticed

>>
Thanks - I did think exactly that could happen, however careful I intended to be. In reality, I'm sure it would be fine but I'd rather avoid there being any question at all over my tyres.
someone with decent alignment equiptment something like the Hunter DSP 600.

I do have a place in Liverpool in mind but I gather you can be looking at £200 to set up a Merc and some owners report their car's being messed up. I have a service contract with MB but they won't do it. I think they might if I make a huge fuss but I don't want it done in the salp-dash way that might result.
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - bathtub tom
I've just picked up this thread.

Front nearside tyres will wear their outside edge because of road camber.

Think about it! In this country the road is always sloping to the left, this will make the car want to go left. This is corrected by steering slightly to the right, placing more strain on the outside edge of the N/S/F tyre, and consequently wearing it faster. It will have a similar effect on the inside edge of the offside front tyre.

This wear causes the tyre to to become shaped like a truncated cone which will pull to the left, causing more steering correction to the right excacerbating the situation.

Swap front wheels ,if non directional tyres fitted. If you've got directional tyres, you can only swap front to rear.
bill if you go to alignmycar.co.uk you should be able to find somewhere a bit cheaper then that, cos where i work the most we charge for any vehicle is £120 most of the new mercs only have the front and rear toe adjustable hope this is helpful
99 1.6 Tyre Wear - paulc924
Both my 306s have run their front left hand tyres off quickly. It is because I enjoy the car's handling round roundabouts! Cheers,