Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Rattle
I have a friend who works in a car dealer and I won't say which but it is a PSA one. Apparantly they have been refusing to take in SUVs as part exchanges as they have too many of them they just have not been able to sell.

This seems a bit extreme has anybody else come seen this happen else where? I did watch a Tonight Programme where a dealer offered £5k for a 4 year old M class.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Bill Payer
A few weeks ago someone posted on here that their local Land Rover dealer was refusing to take 4x4's as px's! That can't be good for business!!
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - MikeTorque
Same applies to some of the larger and/or expensive cars.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Ian (Cape Town)
Yep - as the price of fuel, tyres and servicing goes up, nobody wants them.
There's an 2002 HSE Rangey on a forecourt in my neighbourhood, in very good nick, but the price has been dropping by about R10K a month for the past 4 months...
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - DP
A work colleague recently bought a truly immaculate one owner 52 plate BMW X5 4.4i with 69,000 miles, leather, 19" alloys, xenons, sat nav/TV and a full BMW main dealer service history for £7500. The seller was brutally honest - they'd been offered just £6000 for it by the BMW dealer against a 530d, had found it insulting, and had decided to sell privately. It was originally up for 9k with no takers at all, so they dropped to 8250. This guy haggled and they let it go for 7.5k

The original purchase receipt was in the documentation. They'd paid just shy of £47k for it new five-and-a-bit years ago!

18 mpg, but 6,000 miles per annum. He's laughing, even if the VED increases go through.

Much as I find it hard to have any financial sympathy for someone who can afford to spend 45k on a car, it's hard to imagine anyone being able to afford to lose nearly 40k of it in a little over five years.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 11/11/2008 at 09:12

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - NowWheels
Yep - as the price of fuel tyres and servicing goes up nobody wants them.

Don't forget the social stigma too. 4X4s were fashion items, now out of fashion
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - nick
>>4X4s were fashion items, now out of fashion
Another good reason for buying one.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Ian (Cape Town)
Don't forget the social stigma too. 4X4s were fashion items now out of fashion

The percentage of "working" 4x4s compared to supermerket pavement-mounters here is bigger than in the UK, but even they are taking a kicking pricewise, as the costs involved outweigh the macho factor. Many owners are now opting for the hi-bodied pickup without 4x4.

The upmarket RangeRovers, Cruisers, X5s, Touaregs, Fortunas etc are really suffering.

One of the biggest shocks has been received in the city Port Elizabeth, where GM built their plant for worldwide production of the RHD Hummer H3. Opened last year, and now suddenly the market has dried up.
Ouch!

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - pd
The problem is the market is all over the place and nobody can put an accurate value on these cars. Therefore many dealers prefer to lose a sale rather than risk a possibly large loss on the px.

It is no good just looking them up in CAP and expecting to be able to move them on through the trade at that price.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - madf
Pendragon results - awful - included the gem that second hand prices of large execs and 4x4s are falling 5% a MONTH.!

Soon be able to afford what I want in another 12 months...
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - daveyjp
Pendragon results - awful - included the gem that second hand prices of large execs
and 4x4s are falling 5% a MONTH.!

I was looking through the papers on Sunday. Lots of ads from main dealers and the ex demo A6 prices were the ones to catch the eye.

Jan 08 11,000 miles 2.0TDi SE manual with a few extras boxes ticked £18,995. List is almost £30,000.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - niceguyeddy
Dealers choice. He can buy what he wants and thats all a PX is to a garage (a car that he is buying).

If public dont want them then the dealers dont want them.

Not extreme just very good business sense.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - andyfr
4x4 dealers are more likely to take them as that is their core business after all.

Edited by andyfr on 11/11/2008 at 11:26

4x4 dealers are more likely to take them as that is their core business after all.

Only if they are able to sell them, and at a price which gives them a profit. There's no point in adding to their stock if they can't shift what's there already
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Collos25
All the Chrysler Jeep and Chevrolet agents in Leeds area seem to have closed down or are in the process of getting rid of their stock and all the ones that I know of in Germany have changed to other franchises and I have seen my first 300c under 12k retail(not new)dropped from 19k it looks like the end for for these brands in Europe.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - stunorthants26
I had great trouble trading in the Forester and that was before the economy really went publically down the proverbial.
I just saw two Freelanders at my local Kia dealer, both around the 6 year old mark for less than 4 grand. That looks mighty cheap given a Picanto just two years younger is going for about the same money.

One of our local chains has shut down their countryside Ford dealership and mearged it with their Daihatsu dealership.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - skorpio
A friend recently traded in his Mk2 laguna diesel. The dealer apparantly wouldn't have taken it if it had been a petrol engine because he couldn't shift them due to high emissions. I think there is still confusion over road tax and it's obviously making people concerned to the extent they do not want to be lumbered with a big thirsty high CO2 emitting car.
If people ain't buying 'em, dealers ain't gonna shift 'em.

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Dr_Duffy
Quite a number of my colleagues went through a phase of running expensive 4x4's, but have moved on to other cars (RS4's are popular now!). I think it was a fashion that is changing, its a case of 'been there, done that'. The used market for upscale 4x4's must also be quite small, unlike a Landrover they are not likely to appeal to farmers or less affluent country people who want go-anywhere transport, but with sensible running costs.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - harib
I think that's a good point. On my travels, I'm beginning to see more and more LED twinkly lights either side of the four hoops. Although the state of the economy and VED changes will have something to do with the drop in 4x4 prices, it is also the curse of things going in and out of fashion. At one point, only footballers and A-list celebs drove extremely expensive 4x4s. With the advent of cheap credit, everyone who wanted one got their hands on one, so every z-lister "celeb" and "me too keep up with the Joneses" got their fix.

Now obviously something new is required, so I think it'll be high specced Audis at one end of the market, and Kas/Fiat 500s at the other end. Possibly the electric Smart as well.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - movilogo
I think it is not just 4x4s only but anything which drinks fuel, has high ins. grp. & tax.

2-3 year old Hyundai Getz and Sontata cost nearly same at main dealers! Used Kia Magentis is slightly more expensive than Kia Picanto!

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Optimist
Seems to me the message is that unless you have to change your car now, don't bother. It's panic that drives prices down. If you don't sell, you don't crystallise your loss. Where you'll be in 12 months, none of us can say.

There's been a lot on here recently about the differential between petrol and diesel becoming less worth-while and I susupect that for many posters NCD is high so insurance isn't a major problem.

Who'd sell a nice car for a few quid in VED?

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - boxsterboy
Who'd sell a nice car for a few quid in VED?

Yes, a lot of people seem to have lost sight of this apparently obvious factor in the decision-making process.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - midlifecrisis
2-3 year old Hyundai Getz and Sontata cost nearly same at main dealers! Used Kia
Magentis is slightly more expensive than Kia Picanto!

Yet I've been offered peanuts for Mrs MLC's Getz in p/x.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - TheOilBurner
SiL was offered peanuts too for her Fusion, despite being the diesel, cheap to insure and Band B. It's possible no cars are wanted as P/Xs at the minute, but some are less wanted than others!
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - MVP
Manufacturers must have a huge problem of where to put all the unsold new cars - all the airfields in the country must be full !

I don't believe sales are only down 21%, I reckons there are many many pre-reg vehicals sitting around, and these will be going very cheap in the near future, hence the reluctance of dealers to take on px's

MVP

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - mattbod
I don't know about an electric Smart outside London. Electric cars to me seem just too much hassle with their compromised performance and range and I think the whole electric car thing is just spin, the Diesel Smart that is on the way should be very desirable however. Also cars like the aforementioned Kia, Hyundai, Pandas and the Toyota Aygo/107/C! will all be really strong.

The whole market is in disarray though. People are trying to get low VED band cars and for sensible sized vehicles this normally means Diesel but with the stuff costing 15p more than Premium.....

Any car at the top end of the spectrum seems fair game at the moment. My sister's other half has a 53 reg Impreza WRX only 27,000 miles and weekend and high day use only:it's immaculate but he can't give it away.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Mr.Tee43
Of course he can, I'll have it.

PM me the address and I will pick it up !
You know perfectly well what I mean LOL!
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - PhilW
I was chatting to a dealer the other day who had just bought a top spec Nissan Murano petrol auto (leather, TV screen reversing aid etc), 05 reg, 40k mileage for £6500 - the one with the 3.0 litre engine from the 350Z.
He said he had bought and sold an identical one in June for £11,000 and had bought another less than a year ago for £21000.
He had sold it already (not sure of mark-up) because, as we discussed, if you are "saving" say £5000 that buys a heck of a lot of VEDs and fuel and if it's what you want/need then it's a lot of car for £6500.
Reminds me of a friend who in the 1970s (during that oil crisis when petrol prices doubled) swapped his Renault 12 for a Jag V12 - got it for peanuts - and reckoned that even with increase in petrol prices he would come out with a profit - especially since he had always wanted a big Jag.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Pugugly
And some style class and not least the probably the best engine anywhere in its time - I want one.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - movilogo
Also cars like the aforementioned Kia, Hyundai, Pandas and the Toyota Aygo/107/C! will all be really strong

Hope one day I can p/x Aygo/Panda and come out with a 3.0 V6 without actually paying anything extra :)

I drive a 1.3 '06 Suzuki Ignis which was quite a rare sight before credit crunch. But nowadays I'm seeing this model more frequently on road. Looks like because of cheaper price than most small mainstream cars, it has become bit more acceptable!

When I see A Range Rover Vogue TDV8 up for the same money as that Murano there I'll be biiting the dealer's hand off and will wind down the windows to enjoy the insults!
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - SuperBuyer
For those of you that remember, last December I bought a Cat D Shogun 3.2 (2001 Y) - Fortunately I sold this about 2 months ago now for £4K. I look at the prices now and I could buy a clean example with service history from a reputable dealer for about the same money!

On a related note - Range Rover 4.4, 2003 03 for £8,995 retail seems good to me...

And also I've tentatively got my Golf on the market (if anyones interested...), and so far I've had 2 offers. One was a silly low offer, but an offer of £3k from a trader seemed quite good considering I'm asking £4,500 for a 2004 53 plated Golf GTI 150PD, with only 149K on the clock (full history, bodywork in good nick for mileage). And its cheap VED @ £125 I think per year, that and 50 to 55mpg typically. Having said all that I think I might keep it, as its taxed and insured for 8 months still. I'm really looking forward to getting the Vectra Estate... hmm. Not quite the same is it. Sadly its a company car and the choice is Vectra Hatch, Vectra Estate, Astra. No contest really.

I'm looking forward to buying a cheap 4x4 again, perhaps next year....
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - andyfr
with only 149K on the clock....

Blimey, we sell ours before they get to 40,000 miles.

Edited by andyfr on 12/11/2008 at 08:45

Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - madf
Second hand Lexus LS400 with fsh look dirt cheap... You can buy a great one for under £3k - from those who recognise they are unsaleable at higher prices. Sure 23mpg BUT lots of very nice car for peanuts.. And future depreciation will be zero. Only another 12 months for prices to hit rock bottom.
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - rogue-trooper
Rattle, what is it? If it is the right sort of thing, I might be in the market for a 4x4 but I am quite choosy!!
Dealer refuses to take 4x4s as part ex - Optimist
PhilW said: >> I was chatting to a dealer the other day who had just bought a top spec 3.0 litre Nissan Murano petrol auto, 05 reg, 40k mileage for £6500. He had sold it already. He had bought and sold an identical one in June for £11,000 and had bought another less than a year ago for £21000. >>

Interesting. The Murano is a very particular car. The auto's a CVT which not everyone likes and Nissan brought out an 09 spec a few months back which meant that new 08 specs were selling for £10k off list. So you can see how the price falls from £21k to £11k to £6.5k. But this dealer does seem to know what he's up to and may even be pre-selling the ones he's buying. If he sells the £6.5k for £8k that's still a lot of car for the money. When PhilW says bought I assume that's what he means rather than p/exed.

Note: I edited the quote from Phil slightly to save space.
"When PhilW says bought I assume that's what he means rather than p/exed."

Yes, I think so - it came from a Lexus main dealer - probably traded in against a new Lexus?
Had been bought by a "private dealer" form one of these "trader only" websites I think. Dealer had already sold it when I delivered it - said he was having a good month - had sold about 20 cars the previous week - seven on the Saturday alone.
Guess it is a question of "right car at right price".

Anything will sell if the price is right, recession or no recession.
Anything will sell if the price is right recession or no recession.

Not necessarily. The sale depends not only on whether someone reckons the purchase price is good value, but also on running costs and whether the vehicle suits their purpose.
"The sale depends not only on whether someone reckons the purchase price is good value, but also on running costs and whether the vehicle suits their purpose."

Isn't that (running costs and suitability for purpose ) factored into whether "the purchase price" is good value before considering a particular car???
Indeed. Basic supply and demand.
"The sale depends not only on whether someone reckons the purchase price is good value
but also on running costs and whether the vehicle suits their purpose."
Isn't that (running costs and suitability for purpose ) factored into whether "the purchase price"
is good value before considering a particular car???

Yes, but for a sale to be possible, the vehicle has to have a value to the potential purchaser of greater than zero. The point I was trying to make (rather unclearly) is that a vehicle may have no takers at any price greater than zero, because it's so expensive to run or so undesirable that it's useless even as a freebie. If the car can't be sold for more than the seller can make by scrapping it, there will be no sale.

I dunno if 4X4s will get to that point (probably unlikely), but it is a theoretical possibility.
OK NW - I see what you meant now.
By the way - GO TO BED - time of your post is 02:24 (and I got up at 3.30 to go to work!!)
I will keep an eye on your posts in future to see if I get up before you retire!

Regards
Phil