Premature camshaft failure Volume 0 - Lta

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 1 *****

Help!

My Corsa Breeze 1.2 petrol cam shaft has snapped and I think Vauxhall are being pretty harsh. It's had one lady owner (!) and has been looked after well.

I was driving on the motorway at 70 on Saturday when there was a noise and then the oil light and eps light came on and the engine died. Only just managed to get it onto the hard shoulder in time or it could have been very very nasty indeed.

Called Green Flag and he was fairly sure the camshaft had snapped but was astonished as the car is only an 05 reg with 24,000 miles on the clock. It was bought new from a vauxhall dealership and has been serviced regularly at the same dealership, the last service only being last month. Trouble is the warranty ran out in August.

Called a friend who was astonished and thinks it has to be a manufacturing fault and Vauxhall should pay some or all of the cost of having it repaired as he thinks it could cost around £2500 for a new engine. However been dealing with them today and they'll only offer 60% and won't budge.

Anyone I ask at work and on forums thinks it wasn't fit for purpose and must be a manufacturing error.

Have rung Trading Standards who on one hand say they have made an offer and they can't officially judge whether its a fair on or not but on the other say under Sale of Good Acts a major part like this shouldn't break within 6 years.

Any advice. I really can't afford the £1000+ bill at the minute which is what they're quoting.

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/10/2009 at 11:41

Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Screwloose

You're not alone...

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=56906&...f
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Lta
Yeah I saw that one.

Is there any point in saying to them its a known fault. Is it the chain that's stretching on Corsa's?

Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Screwloose

Our most informed source on things GM says that it's the chains stretching that's the root cause and suggests that Vauxhall are aware of the problem.

I'd keep pushing and see if you can get a better settlement.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Rattle
Must have seen reports of this happening a lot on the internet. Corsa C's are no longer being considered as a replacement car for me.

HG may also want to include this in his Cay by car breakdown as it seems to favour the chain drive engines atm [for the corsa c]
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - qxman {p}
Remember that the warranty is in addition to your legal rights under SOGA.
With an engine 'life' of a little over 3 years, 24000 miles, this car is clearly not fit for purpose. I would go the small claims route. The cost is modest and I would think you have a high chance of success.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - smokie
Interesting recent post in that thread - -says "I've had my corsa c from brand new and I had the exhaust cam snap on mine, only prolem was that it was at the time ofthe bad floods and they told me I had water in the 3rd cylinder... "

It was rather wet over the weekend too. Is there a pattern or am I barking (up the wrong tree?)

I had an incident with an £800+ power steering pump on my Veccy earlier this year. it was a replacement after an accident, and the new one failed 20k/16 months after replacement. The dealer offered me 20% off, but I was after more. Went through SMMT complaints people (who were very helpful btw) who thought I had a case, but got nowhere - Vx were absolutely adamant about it too, must've been very confident of their position!
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Statistical outlier
Err, if there was water in the cylinder wouldn't you expect an exhaust cam to snap?? Water not being known for being compressible and all that..
So it's not good when a known problem nearly caused an accident that could have been very very nasty indeed.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - movilogo
As several people have faced this problem, a good idea is to write to BBC watchdog.

Vauxhall has already been there for faulty handbrake and IIRC some ABS fire hazard issue.

I'm sure they won't like to get a season ticket for watchdog show.
Just rung VX again who are going to ring me back again tomorrow.

Would you still write to Watchdog this evening or give them chance to do something??
Always give them a chance to put things right. Go to wathdog as a last resort but you can threaten it before you actually do it.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Bill Payer
You're in a great position as you're the first owner and you're still dealing with the supplying dealer. I would guess that if you lean on Vx a little bit then they'll pay. Is the dealer at least pretending to be helpful?

Legally responsibility rests with the supplying dealer, not Vx. However, unless you're strapped for cash it's probably not a good idea to threaten the dealer with legal action until the car is fixed or they might stop talking to you.

Be careful about making threats to anyone at this stage - you can write to WatchDog but they may take months to look at your case and Vx will know that.

If you get nowhere with Vx, then the ideal thing to do would be to get the car fixed and then pay under protest. Then write to the dealer and ask them to refund you within 14 days.
If they don't, then use www.moneyclaim.gov.uk to claim back from the dealer whatever you've had to pay.
Yes the dealer is still 'pretending' to be helpful at the minute. He more or less said off the record this shouldn't happen. He said he's waiting for his contact at trading standards to ring him back.

I can pay it but I'd be broke and resentful afterwards!

There's a sign in the garage that says 'no refunds after work has been carried out' which worries me.

Also I'm worried I'm paying £1000 for a car that's going to have problems from here on in. Or should a new engine make it run ok again? Any thoughts?

So I could write to watchdog now but not tell VX for the time being?
Also how much could a small claims court case cost? Any ideas?

Small claims is less than £50 I think but I don't think you have gone that far yet. Does this car really need a new engine? Would a new cylinder head, new pulleys and new chain not do the trick or am I missing something?

Edited by Rattle on 10/11/2008 at 17:47

Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - J1mbo
I can only suggest as what the others said, deal only with the dealer. They are responsible and they will be putting the fault right. Have you spoken to your local trading standards???

You should also (if not already) fire off a recorded letter to the dealer and include all the details of what's happend. Ask them to repair the fault FOC and ask them to reply within 7 days.

If they don't or fail to reply, I'd suggest another letter giving them a further 7 days. If that fails, another letter stating that, if you've not been offered a FOC repair that you'll take them to Small Claims Court, give another 7 days then claim.

Don't start threating any courts just yet, be firm yet polite and do EVERYTHING in writing sent recorded. Keep copies of everything and the Post Office receipts. By all means, copy it all to VX&Trading Standards if you want.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - J1mbo
Opsss, sorry re read your post, seems TS are sitting on the fence. Typical! Well, do try the letters and see how it goes, remember the dealer is out to make money, if they can get you to pay for some of it, then they will!
Thanks for that advice. Well the dealer is with some Motor Trading Association so Trading Standards are getting them to ring me. I'll get a letter drafted and send it to VX, dealer and Trading Standards and go from there.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - unhappycorsaowner
hi i have a 55 reg sxi 1.2 corsa and my camshaft has snapped its done 31k miles im having no luck as of yet with my dealer..it could have been alot worse because i was traveling with my wife and grandchild at the time....HELP i can not afford the 1000 pound plus bill to get it fixed..
Would you be happy to contact me directly. I am sending a letter to Vauxhall tomorrow and am in contact with Trading Standards. I think it would help both our cases to quote the other as it's looking more and more like this is a known problem. Could you get back to me asap? Thanks.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - smokie
LTA, Unhappycorsaowner, if you wish to contact each other the forum moderators will happily pass your email addresses to one another, if you are both in agreement. You can use the Report Message as Offensive button to email us.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - unhappycorsaowner
yes u could email me or msn chris7874@hotmail.co.uk thanks
Just emailed you!
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - chesham
Hi!!

Just saw your post, my mum has a 2005 VX Corsa and today the camshaft SNAPPED despite being 6 months out of warranty, full service not even 6 months ago and been in twice in the past 4 months for engine management light came on!

I was driving today and "BANG", it stops and just dies. RAC came out and stripped the head and found a snapped camshaft!!

We are incensed!! We would be happy to join in anything you have going on ref this!!

Cheers,

Michael
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - TheOilBurner
RAC stripped the head? Really? Must have been a quiet day...
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Dulwich Estate
Mmm... "I'd keep pushing and see if you can get a better settlement. "

Just a thought - maybe take what's on offer before they go bust and you get nothing.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - pgf
Hi folks, on 2nd Dec it happened to me, I have just had the same problem on my 1.2 sxi - 2005 plate as of aug this year 26000 miles - cam shaft snapped whilst on the motorway. Bought is second hand with full service history in March.

Vauxhall have refused to contribute anything, say they don't know why it has snapped although the service manager admitted it should'nt be going yet, also said maybe the timing chain had slipped. they are going to charge £800.

I don'tunderstand how they can pay to fix some and not others........there is obviously something dodgy going on here

Regards

P
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - CorsaOwner
I've just experienced the same problem with my Corsa 1.4 Exclusiv. My exhaust emissions light was flashing when I started the engine so I contacted pentagon Vx who told me to bring it in. Sat there on Tues from 8.45 until 15.30 when they told me they would need to investigate further because it could be the camshaft that had snapped. Next day received a call saying that Vx will pay 70% and I would need to pay 30% (£450) to repair. (The camshaft had snapped)

Everyone I have spoken to including two mechanics thinks there must be a fault as the car is just over three yrs old with 23,000 miles!!! Seems I'm not the only one!! Mine too is a 05 and has full Vx service history. Warrantly expired in May.

Just wondered if you had managed to get anywhere with Vx?

Any info would be great as I'm going to contact them again. Just considering whether to just pay and try to claim my 30% back when the car has been fixed. I've heard it can take about 15hrs to repair so I'm going to be without transport for at least another week.

Thanks
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Vansboy
Many HOME insurance policies, have a Legal Expenses cover included, which would enable you to have some help, if you did want to persue stronger action, against the dealer, or manufacterer. Without cost to you.

VB
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - mandi713
hi ha ve just read everyones posting and i too have a problem with my 05 corsa. on 19th nov it didnt start and was towed to vauxhall dealer where i purchsed it from new (only 6 months out of warrenty). they told me it was a broken camshaft and would cost a minimum of 800 to fix. it had only done 26000 miles but they would not help me because it was missing the 3rd service (due to family bereavemen t). i accepted this and told them to go ahead with the work. they then rang me to say the the new camshafts had been modified and that it didnt fit to my old cam sensor and i would need to pay for a new one of these as well. i explained that i didnt see it was my fault it had been modified and that it required them to remove a working part from my car and fit another working cam sensor! there answer was it wasnt their fault either! so there we are, can anyone suggest anything i can do to solve this mess
thanks
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - cunny
Hi.
Same again camshaft on my CORSA 2005 SXI snapped.Had from new low mileage 25760.full dealership service history,reported fault ,loosing power when doing over 60miles.prior to warranty expired June 08. No trace of fault on inspection,but this car was bought newDec 05 with delivery mileage only!!!!They offer 40% and want 225.00 for my share.This does differ from cost of other owners,why such a discrepancy with same faults. Have been advised part should be expected to last appox 4 years and over 100,000 miles.
By all means include me in the report to Watchdog.Am pushing for 100%
Watch this space.
Thanks
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - woodleymike
You can always take the dealer (not vauxhall themselves) to the Small Claims Court. Does not cost much.

I am doing a similar thing as my 4-year old Vectra with 50K on the clock recently had its water pump sieze, throwing the timing belt and wrecking the engine. Vauxhall did not want to know so, after giving the dealer 10 days to make me a serious financial compensation offer (which he has not done) I am going to Small Claims Court on the basis that the car he sold me was in breach of the Sale Of Goods Act
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Waino
This is all adding up to some great advertising for Vauxhall :-( . I know where I won't be looking for my next car!
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Altea Ego
Small Claims Court on the basis that the car he sold me was in breach
of the Sale Of Goods Act

In what respect?
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - L'escargot
In the past I've had a bonnet hinge and a dipstick tube bracket fracture after the warranty expired. It didn't occur to me to take the matters up with the manufacturer. I just accepted that nothing lasts for ever.

Edited by L'escargot on 13/01/2009 at 08:07

Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Carrow
Snail, that is a bit different to a wrecked engine mind you!!
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - L'escargot
Snail that is a bit different to a wrecked engine mind you!!

I didn't realise that.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - y&iw
This happened to our Corsa 2005 at 29,000 miles just before Christmas.
The Emission light appeared whilst driving on the motorway - no prior warning.
All the valves were also damaged.
The AA diagnosed Ignition Coil but also pointed out noise in top half of engine.
We have only just collected from the garage (17th Jan) after a lengthy diagnosis and waiting for parts.
Vauxhall paid 40% towards the cost but it still cost us One thousand four hundred pounds.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - mattbod
Push hard, say you will nver buy another car from Vauxhall again, and threaten to go to motoring press complaints pages like Auto Express, What Car plus Watchdog and the local rags. I did this when my Skoda's bushes went after only 34k. It was seven months out of warranty but they finally paid the full cost (initially said wear and tear). They will try it on if they can but push for complete good will. Your case far more serious than mine.

Edited by mattbod on 20/01/2009 at 01:03

Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - martyc
My camshaft has just snaped in two also. Car was bought from VX dealer last Jan 12000 on the clock it now has 26500 and has been VX serviced since new. Everyone I have spoken to regarding this cant belive a camshaft has snapped never mind one on a car with so little miles on it. I have a friend who works at knockhill racing curcuit and he has given cars alot of stick round that track and he has never heard of a camshft breaking.

I went to the dealership where car was bought and he advised me to contact VX (which I did but no-one has got back to me yet) and they should give some goodwill gesture. The bill I have is £1220 a goodwill gesture will not cut the mustard at that price. This is clearly a manufacturing or design flaw so I think VX are 100% liable to fix these cars.

Please get in touch if anyone has taken this to TS or watchdog as I will only be to happy to assist in the fight !!
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - castrolrob
i work as a greasemonkey and have done a few of these now.first one was a car i had only serviced a few days earlier,used genuine bits/oil etc.was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how i could have screwed things up so badly.turned out that it was just dumb coincidence it went at the same time.fault on all the ones i have seen has been exhaust camshaft snapping on cylinders 3/4 and seems to be caused by the cam journal bearings on the relevant section coming loose and allowing the cam to flex until it snaps.this has to be either a manufacture fault or caused by camchain whip/resonance.all the ones i have done have been fortunate inasmuch that i have just been able to change the camshaft and send them on their way.on initial startup after repair the misfire remains as the valves will have bounced.this is normally terminal but on these engines(at least so far!)the hydraulic tappets collapse thus saving the valves.i normally run them with the misfire for a minute or two,leave em for the night,next morning the tappets have refilled with oil and they run fine.all concerned have been about 05 age and at or about warranty expiry point.be advised that if the cam journals are damaged then they are line reamed-i.e matched to the head-and this could neccesitate a replacement which will be in the region of a grand or so.most also indicated intermittent management faults in the days leading up to failure(the relevant area isnt visible on normal examination/servicing regimens)normally cam sensor/fuelling faults.if the top end starts rattling STOP DRIVING IMMEDIATELY.camshaft on its own from gm is the thick end of 300 quid.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - Number_Cruncher
>>cam journal bearings on the relevant section coming loose

I haven't said anything on these camshaft snapping threads so far, because what has been written has been in conflict with what I had heard about the problem. However, castrolbob, what you've written about the bearings coming loose is *exactly* what I've been told by my ex-colleague who works in the Vauxhall garage where I used to. However, I've also heard that there's a problem with the chain.

Is there any evidence either way to say which is the true cause?

camchain and tensioner has always been a weak spot on both these and the one litre chain drive lumps but in all fairness generally only on abused/thrashed examples.oil isnt generally an issue either as long as its changed regularly.they have been using the same basic engine for over a decade now without this problem which leads me to(guess!)that its a manufacturing fault on a particular batch of them.aint just vauxhall,all the mainstream manufacturers have grief like this.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - PaulHulme
Add one to the list of affected customers.

My fiancee's 55 reg 1.2 twinport Corsa after only 22k miles broke it's cam shaft on the 18th of February. Warranty ran out in September, last serviced in November.

She's said that (thinking back) it had been juddering or struggling for power at junctions or traffic lights occasionally for perhaps a month before. I drove it on the Saturday before and it seemed normal to me. She also said that one of the lights (probably engine light) came on when she tried to start it in the snow. She switched the ignition off and on again and it went away ... when she told me about it two weeks beforehand I thought maybe a sensor or something was on its way out.

It broke going downhill in a 50 zone and she luckily coasted into a laybuy showing the engine and exhaust warning lights. When we got it home it made a horrible noise, really struggling and an irregular sort of "snap" sound while misfiring.

Her dad is a mechanic, so he's been brilliant helping with it. It was showing fault code's for a misfire in cylinders 3 & 4. He replaced the coil pack, did a compression test (all 4 good), replaced the ECU ... and it was looking like a puzzle (same fault codes). We got the car to his "engine friend" a couple of days ago and he's come back quickly saying it's got a snapped camshaft.
At this point we're relieved to know what it is.

Don't know what my advice to anyone else would be ... catch it early to minimise the damage?

-=PH=-
i do know that the camchain has a modification but what it is i dont know.its generally supplied as a kit with chain/guides/tensioner etc.i guess i will only find out for sure in about 2 1/2 years time when the first one i did is 3 1/2 years old again.if it dont go then it was left loose from manufacture.if it does then its gotta be the chain or related items.
Camshaft snap at 24,000 miles VX will only pay 60% - teachbecky77
I have a 53 plate Corsa Design 1.2 16v and I've seen two mechanics for my noisy engine and they both say it is as if the car has been 'clocked', the timing chain is so worn. The car is only at 37000 miles. Servicing doesn't help the engine to sound any better either.

They've said nothing about the cam shaft but I will be getting it checked. I've emailed Vauxhall but, having read what's on this board, I don't expect a reply.

If anyone would like to take a case to Vauxhall and/or Watchdog, I'm willing. I think we have to push these things as the first time, they will say no. We have to keep going with it.

I'm going back to the mechanic today and will get the oil and cam shaft bolts checked and whether either the chain, bolts of shaft are loose or damaged in any way.