What you must tell your insurer - Roger Jones
While Top Gear was on last night and the TV was therefore off, I read parts of my insurance booklet. Others are probably similar, and the following may be of general interest (the bold is my doing).

"If you don't tell us about relevant changes, you insurance may not cover you fully, or at all. Here are some of the changes you should tell us about.

* A change of vehicle (including extra vehicles)
* All changes you or anyone else make to the vehicle if these make the vehicle different from the manufacturer's standard specification (whether these changes are mechanical or cosmetic)
* A change of address
* A change of job, including any part-time work by you or other drivers, a change in the type of business or having no work
* A change in the purpose which you use the vehicle for
* A new main user for the vehicle
* Details of any driver who you have not told us about before or is excluded by the certificate of motor insurance or an endorsement but whose driving is now to be covered
* Details of any motoring conviction, disqualification or fixed-penalty motoring offence of any person allowed to drive or of any future prosecutions for any motoring offence
* Details of any accident or loss (whether or not you make a claim) involving your vehicle or that occurs to you while you are driving anyone else's vehicle
* Details if you or any other person allowed to drive your vehicle suffers from a notifiable condition not notified to DVLA or any condition for which DVLW have restricted the licence"
What you must tell your insurer - Rattle
Would this include changes to wheel trims and head unit? I am going to phone Directline up and say I have just fitted some £3.99 wheel trims and oh I have a head unit that is so cheap it has no brand on it.

I do I have to inform that my tryes are not the orginal tryes it came with?

What about the exhaust that too is not original.
What you must tell your insurer - Chris S
I've always been puzzled about change of job. If somebody is made redundant and takes some bar work (a 'high' risk job) do they also suddenly start driving like a lunatic?
What you must tell your insurer - movilogo
It is change of profession rather than job. Some professions are considered higher risk.

Edited by movilogo on 10/11/2008 at 12:43

My job involves me driving to new places all the time (rather like a sales person) so my job is obviously more risky than an office worker going to the same place everyday. So yes I do understand that bit.
What you must tell your insurer - SpamCan61 {P}
I agree with Rattle, they should be much more specific in their wording - how about I fit a set of non OEM car mats? Do they really want to know?
What you must tell your insurer - Snakey
I've just put a £120 stereo in my Vectra to replace the standard one. So in theory I should have told my insurer?

Daft thing is, the replacement unit is probably cheaper to replace than the Vauxhall one.
What you must tell your insurer - Optimist
I told my company when someone drove into my car in a car park. I wasn't in the car but the other driver was decent enough to leave a note and his insurer paid for the repair.

I've just had my insurance renewal through. It records me as the "driver" when there was an "incident" earlier in the year. Bit too all-encompassing for my liking but there's nothing much I can do, I suppose.

What you must tell your insurer - Roger Jones
What constitutes a change of spec? I don't know, but the whole drift of the abbreviated guidelines is "If in doubt, get in touch". Note: "abbreviated guidelines" in plain English, not legal/technical detailed specification. And there is a general note: "You have a duty to let us have details of any change which affects your insurance." Better safe than sorry, I'd say.
What you must tell your insurer - L'escargot
I've just put a £120 stereo in my Vectra to replace the standard one. ...........
Daft thing is the replacement unit is probably cheaper to replace than the Vauxhall one.

If it had to be replaced by a vehicle repairer, don't forget the extra costs that might be incurred in locating and procuring one. This increases the risk to the insurer.

Edited by L'escargot on 11/11/2008 at 07:35

What you must tell your insurer - drbe
While Top Gear was on last night and the TV was therefore off >>

I understand that you can now buy TVs with more than one channel!

There's progress for you.
Yeah Dave and BBC2 :D.

What you must tell your insurer - ifithelps
And several of the other channels run repeats of Top Gear.

There's regress for you.