Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - JamesH
The rules have changed a little at this beginning of this month, although I'm not sure if it's had any effect on the market.

I've bought a car that has plates on that are best described as show plates. They're in a legal font, although the 3D effect looks odd, but have a space between the first two letters and numbers and a manufacturer logo on them. They're not quite my cup of tea and I don't want to get stopped (or fined) by the police.

I'm after just a pair of legal plates, with the blue Euro GB bit at the side and preferably in decent 3D (legal) font. The supplier name should be on there, but preferably as discreet as possible.

I did need to get some plates two years ago and used an eBay supplier, which was handy because of not having the documents to hand because it was a new purchase with a plate change going through. They have all the features of being legal, and were from a DVLA-registered supplier, but are technically show plates because of the lack of documents needed (I don't have this issue this time).

The plates weren't bad. The 3D font was fine. They were of the Signam type, which involves the numbers being added to the adhesive side of a reflective sheet, then stuck onto a piece of clear acrylic. The trimming wasn't perfect, though partly remedied with a stanley knife, but one of the cars I was replacing the plates for had this style, made by Jepson, and had delaminated badly.

One of the other plates that was replaced (and is still knocking about in the garage) had a manufacturer name of HHSP. The construction of this plate was different, with the acrylic coloured white or yellow and the reflective part stuck on top instead of underneath. This type had a darker blue background behind the GB section that went to the edge of the plate. It seemed a better made plate than all the others.

What are people's recommendations on where to get plates from? I'm not after the very cheapest, as a trawl of eBay still shows a number of inexpensive plates. I would like some that are of reasonable quality.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - captain chaos
Why not get a set made up by the franchise dealer for your make of car? Or better still the original supplying dealer? My brother bought a car in a private sale and wanted to fit personalised plates. He ordered a set from the original supplying dealer (a long way from home) and they sent them to him. Tied in nicely with the dealer sticker on the back window. Looks better when it's time to sell too IMHO.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - Hamsafar
I agree, the dealers do nice OE-look plates and usually cheaper than Halfords etc.... Stay away from the ones made on a printer, they look great when new but the black fades to a patch khaki after 18 months.

What about aluminium euro-style plates. This is what I have now from plateman and they don't suffer the ailments of plastic ones. You can stick them on with foam, drill and screw them, or put them in holders which you need a key to open
www.theplateman.com/
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - jc2
Or Framptons-they'll make you up pressed ali or ones with rivetted numbers that comply with the latest regulations.
Framptons is in the UK-mine came the next day.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - Pugugly
www.pl8s.co.uk/page3.html

Find them here.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - ole cruiser
I spent some time on the Internet but everything on offer seemed to have a whiff of illegality about it, plus I wasn't convinced that what I saw was what I would actually get. So I simply went round to the local motor factors, who are on the DVLA list. Excellent - you could choose exactly what you wanted (from the range of legal options, that is) by way of font, border etc. and preview the result on screen before committing. Like the OP, I wanted the supplier's logo to be as discreet as possible, and the guy readily "shrank" his logo so that it is just a tiny blur - in my case, advertising the dealer or other plate supplier was exactly what I didn't want. The whole thing took about 10-15 minutes. Not sure whether the plates would match up to the quality standard set by the OP, but they are identical to the dealers' OE plates (BESTPLATE) except for the dealer's ad. As a bonus, they turned out quite a few pounds cheaper than the internet offers (especially with EU symbol and border added) and a bit cheaper than Halfords.
Actually fitting the new plates was more tiresome: if you are a perfectionist, check the alignment of the old plates before you drill the holes in the same place, and it seems to be quite difficult to get the right screws and plastic caps. I have been surprised since by the number of new cars that have the plates at a sort of wobbly angle.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - ma
What are the changes in the law as of 1 november?

Matt
All dealers' plates I've ever had have eventually delaminated(some quickly-within first year and replaced for free) which is why I went to Framptons
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - yorkiebar
Dealers only do plates supplied by Hills or Jepsons or other similar ones; no different to any other car shop/factor.

Best way is to look at plates on other cars that you like (after they have aged a bit) and look at the makers name on the plate. Then find a supplier of that make !
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - Devolution
What are the changes in the law as of 1 november?

Businesses can no longer supply anything classed as show plates with actual registration numbers on; only names, pictures, logos etc. Any plate with a UK reg no. must be in the correct form only.

The legal loophole sprouted is that some places sell the custom "show" plate with a blank space, and then separately sell stick on letter/numbers in the style that you wish; obviously with the disclaimer that if you use the plate on the road then it will lead to trouble. Dealers can therefore still cooperate with the law but it still doesn't stop someone putting illegal plates on if they go to just a little more trouble than before.

Edited by Devolution on 08/11/2008 at 22:17

Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - Pugugly
If they went about this properly, MoT centres would the only ones allowed to sell - proper tamperproof/theft proof plates at a fixed price and of a fixed quality. Vehicle seizure would be the sanction. Lets get serious about this.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - jase1
Errr... what's this thread all about?

What's wrong exactly with paying the man in the motor factors his £8.50 and being done with it?

Why do people get worked up about the 'advertising', a tiny line of text along the bottom of the plate, anyway? The damn thing is only there to avoid being stopped by the police, it adds nothing to the look of the car.

What next? Personalised tax discs?
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - andyfr
Why do people get worked up about the 'advertising' a tiny line of text along
the bottom of the plate anyway?

If I was paid for the "advert" then no problem. It's the same with dealer stickers, the first thing I do when getting a new car is remove it.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - captain chaos
Fair point.....the first thing my father used to do when he bought a car was remove the dealer stickers "they've had their pound of flesh" he'd say. I'm off to pull all the badges off my car..... ;-)
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - Alby Back
I've always done that. Can't say why really. Just an "ocd" I suppose to refer back to an old thread. Can't bear dealer adverts in my window or dealer logo tax disc holders and such. They have to come off. It would really annoy me if a dealer put their logo on the boot lid as some certainly used to. Bit sad like that I'm afraid. Can't do much about the ones on the number plates but they irritate me too. If I could be bothered, I'd take all the brand and model badges off my cars too. Not to try to make my car look like a "better"" model, couldn't care less about that, just don't like badges on things. Wouldn't bother me enough to actually do it though.
Acrylic number plates - where to buy for quality? - JamesH
Main dealer - had thought of that and not a bad idea for the OE look.

Pressed alu - not personally keen, it reminds me of the raised letter plates that died out around the early 80s.
Errr... what's this thread all about? What's wrong exactly with paying the man in the motor factors his £8.50 and being done with it?

Is that really all it costs for a good pair of plates that will last more than a year? The internet sellers asking £20+ per pair must be making a killing, even though much cheaper than Halfords.

I wish I knew a decent motor factors. As with many similar places, they're generally shut when I'm not at work. What ole cruiser had was ideally what I'm after.

I've no issues with a tiny line of text on the bottom of a number plate, provided it is discreet. Bigger writing for a dealer isn't too bad. I'm happy with the dealer tax disc in the windscreen. What I wouldn't want is the name of the supplier in big writing on the plate when legally it doesn't need to be that size. With mail order/internet, you don't always know what that writing will be.

Value my car