Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - Claybuster
Wife's Sept 07 (57) plate Fiesta got rear ended today by a big 4x4. Car has been taken to Insurers Approved repairers and they have just rang to say it needs a new bodyshell so is beyond economical repair (write off) What happens next? Having been a long term member of site I have seen some comments on about not accepting first offer, Garage has said car was immaculate for a year old car not a single mark or dent before accident(she really looks after it) Parkers value a year old one with the same miles as £7005 dealer (to buy), £5930 Private good condition or £5480 p/x Will I be lucky to get anywhere near some of these figures if so which one? Do I have any recourse if they offer a stupid figure? Any advice tips from somebody who has been in a similar position would be appreciated.

Edited by Pugugly on 07/11/2008 at 18:21

Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - mikeyb
You say its a year old - most insurance policies operate a new for old in the first year if the car is a write off.

Either way I would wait and see what they offer, but they need to put you back in the same position as before - i.e. you need to have enough money to go and buy the same model / mileage / condition from your local ford dealer. If the offer is not enough then send them some adverts from the local rag showing adverts for the same model.

Would also suggest that if the other party is at fault then you ask for a courtesy car to be provided while the payout is processed. Has your wife and pain from the accident? Worth going to the docs for a once over anyway as whiplash can be tricky and problems can crop up later, but be long lasting.
Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - Pugugly
See HJ's FAQ page - I would include a link but far more fun to look yourself and peruse other interesting information whilst you look. Have you got Improved Total Loss cover, Legal Cover etc on your Policy ?
Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - Mick Snutz
I've had experience of cars being written off but in all cases the offer I was made was higher than expected. In all cases my cars were were over 5 yrs old and high mileage. That said, I still checked out sites such as Autotrader and the classifieds in my local paper to compare the current market value of similar spec cars. Forewarned is forearmed.

Best of luck.
Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - jbif
got rear ended today by a big 4x4.

1. So 3rd party to blame 100%?
Car has been taken to Insurers

2. Your Insurer?
they have just rang to say it needs a new bodyshell so is beyond economical repair (write off)

3. so are you claiming from your Insurer or from 3rd party?

4. As Pugugly says, look up FAQ for your rights for no-blame claim against 3rd party.

5. Search this discussion forum for loads of previous advice in similar circumstances.

Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - Claybuster
JBIF,
Rear ended so 3rd party to blame, though as usual they are trying to get out of it, my Insurance has provided a courtesy car and are billing 3rd parties Insurance.

Initial contact my Ins who arranged courtesy car, Fiesta taken to my Insurers approved repairers who have said it is a write off. Also received a phone call from a firm of Solicitors appointed by my Insurers to recover my "out of pocket expenses"

As to who I will be claiming off I have no idea, I thought the Insurance handled all that I obviously have to pay the excess and that will be claimed back. Or the write off value cheque will be less the excess

Luckily not been in this position before so as before any advice would be appreciated.
Write off value of a 07 Fiesta. - jbif
Luckily not been in this position before so as before any advice would be appreciated.

Lot of previous threads giving advice on write off values and your rights in case of a "non-fault" claim.

The main point to note is that if you make a claim on your insurance, their primary aim is to minimise their own costs [admin as well as repair/replacement costs]. They will ask you to use the "legal protection" part of your policy to claim back the excess, and once that has happened, you will be deemed to have had a "non-fault" claim.

On the other hand, if you persue the 3rd party direct [using Agents if you are satisfied about their T&C], then you will be better placed to be put back in the position you were before the incident.