Reliable Tools - Maceman
I'm thinking of investing in some new tools - sockets, spanners, ratchets etc etc

We all know "you gets whats you pays for", so ideally I'd love to buy a set of Snap-on tools, but hey this is the real world and I can't afford them!

My question is. . . can anyone recommend a brand(s) of decent, reliable and well priced tools?

What tools do you use? Cheap, car boot stuff, or something a bit more expensive?

Be good to hear everyones opinions.

Maceman.

Reliable Tools - DP
I have a Halfords professional ratchet handle that's about 10 years old now. It's been abused, dropped, trodden on, run over, used to undo wheelnuts, and still works perfectly. Fully rebuildable as well - you can buy replacement ratchet kits for them, although if mine's anything to go by, they're rarely needed.

About 90% of my toolkit is Halfords and I've never had anything fail or break in use yet.

Cheers
DP
Reliable Tools - RichieW
Halfords professional range are well regarded on a carbuilding website I frequent. They have a life time guarantee and Halfords' staff don't usually query a broken tool and will replace it without quibble. Handy if you break something on a sunday afternoon.

Reliable Tools - tintin01
Halfords Professional 150 piece socket set is half-price at the moment - £99. Plus, there is 10% off everything on the website until Monday. I have read several recommendations for this range on other forums. I'm not sure if you are allowed to post the link. If not, mods please remove:

www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchC...1
Reliable Tools - Maceman
So. . Halfords winning on the recommendation front hands down at the moment. Good price too - Snap-on = over £100 just for one ratchet, let alone 149 other pieces!!
Reliable Tools - nick
Ask over on the Practical Classics website forum. They have tested socket sets and spanners within the last year or so. Someone might remember the results or be willing to check up in back issues for you. I do remember that Snap-on weren't the best.
Reliable Tools - J Bonington Jagworth
I have a set of Sealey combination spanners (ring one end, open the other) and one of their socket sets with a stepless ratchet, all of which are well-finished and durable. The spanners, in particular, are relatively long and slender, and a real pleasure to use.

Teng tools are supposed to be good too.
Reliable Tools - nick
That's tickled my memory. I think Teng did pretty well in the PC tests.
Reliable Tools - OldSock
For those into 'Personalised Registrations', I'd recommend King Dick :-)
Reliable Tools - nick
A good source of tools can be local auctions. You quite often get house and workshop contents sold off cheap. I've bought toolboxes with assortments of Snap-on and similar quality tools for a few quid.
Reliable Tools - Maceman
Never thought about auctions - and I even know someone who works at one! Nice tip Nick, thanks!
Reliable Tools - jonmac
I worked on oil rigs and used all makes of tools. Yes you get a lifetime guarantee with the likes of SnapOn etc. and super tools they are too. But in reality I found some inexpensive tools {made in India, Taiwan etc.} were suitable for everyday use.
Yes invest in Snap On if you want to have a nice set of tools hanging up in your garage, but in reality you can go to Aldi and buy a set for a fraction of the cost and do the same job.
Reliable Tools - 1400ted
Don't buy an excessive number of tools. Buy good quality, but you'll probably only need metric sockets in sizes 8,10,11,12,13,14,15,17,
and 19. You can take a car apart with these and perhaps a larger one for hub and driveshafts.
I have sets of metric, AF and whitworth and I can't remember last using the AF. I can take my Jowett apart with about 4 of the Whitworth ! My 1/2 inch whitworth set is Army surplus......much better quality than my deep drive Snap-on set ! Also, I would go for a 3/8 drive set, most pros use them...there's a lot less weight to shift around !
You will also come across all sorts of tools which will be of use apart from spanners and sockets,..... pry bars, scrapers,pliers and cutters, screwdrivers etc. If you are not working professionally then you don't need to go mad on expense. Good luck
Ted

Reliable Tools - madf
Aldi tools and rechargeable lamps are excellent...
Reliable Tools - mss1tw
Britool along with cheapy no-names.
Reliable Tools - Pendlebury
Maceman - Snap on are definitely not the best tools you can buy.
The best tools on the market are Stahlwille and they are allot cheaper.

A company I used to work for purchased allot of hand tools and buying the best quality was paramount.
We asked both Snap on and Stahlwille if we could do a series of tests. Snap on declined our invitation but Stahwille were confident enough to let us do said tests. All I will say is that we really hammered them and they did not break.
If Stahwille are to expensive then maybe look at Facom.
Reliable Tools - ifithelps
Use your own judgment - 'weigh' a spanner or screwdriver in your hand, if it feels right, with good balance, then it's almost certainly a good tool.

Some people knock Snap-On, but I've never come across better - my set of plain, black handled screwdrivers are a joy to use.

Ditto the 3/8" drive sockets.

Having said that, plenty of spanners are easily half as good at about a tenth of the price.
Reliable Tools - Mapmaker
I've got a Halfords socket set.

1. Every time you pick it up all the sockets fall out into the bottom - unless you keep the grotty bit of foam supplied with the set.

2. 50% of the sockets are imperial anyway, so useless.

Fairly good kit, though
Reliable Tools - Manatee
Lots of web businesses sell Draper tools at good prices - the socket sets in the Expert range are fine for home use and not at all expensive. When I think about what tools used to cost in real terms 30 years ago they are a giveaway. Try www.justoffbase.co.uk/ or www.tooled-up.com/ but google for the best price if you find a set you like.
Reliable Tools - Number_Cruncher
One way to approach this is to buy a middle of the range set of tools. Then, when you break one, or it wears out, replace it with a premium replacement. In this way, you end up with a toolbox with premium bits only where you need them.

Reliable Tools - defender
halfords are ok as are aldi and lidl spanners and screwdrivers etc
teng socket sets are quite good but for some reason some of my teng spanners are rusting badly.
britool/facom are good as are some of the draper expert tools but have broken a few sockets and ratchets .lots of ours get borrowed or lost so not worth buying snap on and the only thing of theirs I have bought was a filter strap which was very good but they didnt want to know when the stitching rotted so wont ever buy any more
Reliable Tools - Harleyman
I'd agree with much of the above; Snap-On are superb, Halfords good value and reasonable quality. Some of the Aldi stuff is good, some is Sunday market standard; you takes your chance.

Don't forget that you'll always lose more tools than you'll break, and no manufacturer givesa a guarantee against that!

My advice is buy the best basics you can afford (socket set, screwdriver set, pliers) and add to it as you need to.

If you have a branch of Machine Mart nearby, have a look in; and check out their shop-soiled returns section. Hint; take only the amount of cash you wish to spend! ;-)

Good point from Mapmaker, only buy what you need; personally I use more A/F than metric but I have a lot of older Yank stuff.

Edited by Harleyman on 06/11/2008 at 21:25