97 1.9tdi loosing water - maxitron
can you please help
My golf 1900 tdi is loosing water from header tank, it never over heats as I always top it up as soon as the warning light comes on. I dont think it is the head gasket as I can drive it over 120 miles and it does not get hot. The water comes out of the header tank so I was thinking it may be a faulty cap, and it always seems to have a lot of pressure when I remove the cap, even after a few seconds of running. is it best to replace the cap or has anybody got any ideas on the subject .
Regards
maxitron

Edited by Pugugly on 03/11/2008 at 20:08

97 1.9 golf tdi loosing water - Screwloose

I don't like the sound of instant pressure and water being forced out.

Get the air in the header tank checked for hydrocarbons. Most garages have a test kit - or, even better, a 4-gas exhaust analyser.
97 1.9 golf tdi loosing water - maxitron
Cheers Screwloose I,ll try and book it in to get header tested, does this mean you think it could be head gasket, it's just I must have done over a thousand miles with this problem and have always kept a good eye on water and kept it topped up, and temperature has never gone above normal. I thought if it was head gasket I would have the temperture going high.

97 1.9 golf tdi loosing water - Screwloose
Head gasket failure comes in many different flavours. If - this is one; then a simple "combustion gas into the coolant" leak is favourite.

The hot gases simply circulate to the top and vent through the over-pressure valve in the cap; the radiator has ample capacity to deal with the extra heat and overheating would not be a symptom unless ambient temps were high.

Edited by Screwloose on 03/11/2008 at 20:53

97 1.9 golf tdi loosing water - maxitron
Thanks for the info Screwloose. My question answered, I'll get it checked out, and keep you updated.
Cheers again.