Speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Armitage Shanks {p}
tinyurl.com/6cuxsh

Covert cameras deected 44,000 drivers exceeding the speed limit in a 7 day period. What is the reaction of the local council? Put in speed bumps! I bet the locals will love the noise and pollution they will cause! A police crackdown @ £60 per person caught would be a lot better I would have thought

Edited by Pugugly on 30/10/2008 at 17:57

speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Hamsafar
It's probably another illegally introduced 30mph limit. If it used to be NSL, if I recall correctly, they can't put a speed limit on the road lower than a speed which 40% or more people exceed anyway. This is another reason to loathe and despise mimsers.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - b308
Where does it say that, H?

Oh, and its not mimsers that set the speed limit, they only tend to be changed because of people driving at inapropriately high speeds for the location... perhaps you are blaming the wrong people??

Edited by b308 on 30/10/2008 at 16:18

speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Lud
Are you sure that's true b308? My impression is that a lot of speed limits are lowered gratuitously. Doubtless some sort of reason will be given by the LA concerned if it is pressed, but it often seems to be a load of lying cobblers. The real reason is to tax motorists who actually do drive at an appropriate speed for the location, instead of being the loathsome despicable mimsers far too many people want to force us all to become...
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Optimist
Have a look at where it is on a map. It seems amazing that so many cars go through it each day unless it provides some sort of jam-avoiding short cut. Strikes me as a huge over-reaction.

speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - stunorthants26
I dont know why they dont just abolish all speed limits, then the speed hungry can go as fast as they like without consequences and will perhaps stop moaning. Anything to stop the moaning tee hee :-)
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - b308
Lud, just out of interest I had a look at the google satalite of Linton and tbh 30 doesn't seem unreasonable for the village itself and I'd be surprised if it was a recently introduced limit looking at the village - I suspect that its the raod down the left hand side that has most of the speeders though...

I'm not going to defend the limit one way or the other, but I wonder if it was us that actually lived on those roads whether we'd be quite so willing to allow them to be deresticted....
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Pat L
It's a sad fact that some form of of traffic calming/speed control is needed in most villages because most motorists enter at 50-60mph and are reluctant to slow down. In my village people regularly pass through the straight sections at 50+mph in a 30 limit because there are no cameras or speed bumps. This is with parked cars, a primary school, etc. We need the speed controls if we want to make sure that the roads are safe. We get the occasional (once or twice a year!) police speed trap and then you see people flashing their lights to warn others!

If people observed speed limits and didn't take the **** then we wouldn't need the controls. Of course, the limits need to be justifiable, which is surely the case in most villages.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - nortones2
50? That's nothing. Our record is 98. Straight stretch, with numerous junctions, in a village. Many at 60 plus. Part of a local rally training circuit, but the police are actively watching, and crushing:)
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Alby Back
I know some say they are needed but you have to go over a minimum of six speed humps to get to or from my house to a "main" road. Hate the things. OK they are narrow roads and there is a primary school on the route so there may be some justification but why not just impose a 20 mph limit or have chicanes or both or something and do without the humps ? Horrible things.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 30/10/2008 at 20:20

speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - qxman {p}
I do (vaguely) know that stretch of road. A 30mph limit is not unreasonable, there's parked cars dotted along the road, kids walk to school, cross the etc., normal sort of things you find in a village. Its a busy road.
I guess if you live there and its your wife and kids at risk when someone comes through a 60mph them you'd be concerned to have the speed limit enforced. I guess when its other people's family at risk its rather less of a concern and a 30mph limit might be considered 'inappropriate'.
Of course people shouldn't blind through villages at dangerous speeds b308. It can't be much fun living there with more than 6,000 cars a day exceeding the speed limit through it... But, and it's a big but, I wonder how many of them were clocked just a few mph over coming into the limit and slowing down - in other words, definitely not 'speeding' as such? A lot of unwary people get unfairly nicked under those circumstances, and it must be very annoying for them since they haven't put anyone in danger. And that kind of rather caddish and malicious enforcement, I am convinced, does intimidate drivers and encourage them to mimse.

The way some people talk - I don't mean you - you would think they thoroughly approved of the whole tendency and didn't mind being forced to crawl and waddle and fall asleep at the wheel. Bad cess to the silly ignorant carphounds. In dense traffic they are a deadly curse.
Lud. If you can't drive at or below the speed limit, there is something wrong with the driver. Speeding to counter narcolepsy is not good strategy. It doesn't even get you there faster in dense traffic.
Goodness nortones, you simply can't speed in dense traffic. The annoyance I am hinting at is the tendency of dense traffic to waddle jerkily along on perfectly safe roads at an average well below the one legally attainable, partly because of the spreading curse of the mimser-by-right, partly because other drivers are intimidated by unpleasant money-grubbing enforcement into going quite a lot too slowly just to be on the safe side.

Some people don't mind this. I absolutely hate it, although there's nothing I can do about it physically.
Out of town - quite agree. Whether the complacent ones are influenced by speed cameras is debatable, as many seem to drive at 2/3rds or less of NSL, not varying speed even through 30 limits, where these are camera free. I tend avoid driving at the NSL (60 locally), due to the number of potential interactions, especially tractors, deer, and the complacent, but only 10mph below. Does that qualify as mimsing?
Does that qualify as mimsing?

It may. One would have to see the place and you in it to know for sure. Naturally one prefers to give people the benefit of the doubt when all one has is their word for it.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Andrew-T
>The spreading curse of the mimser-by-right ..

I don't believe this curse is spreading. I think a certain proportion of drivers have always tended to mimse (I don't normally use this word so I'm not sure of its exact definition, if it has one) but they become a more noticeable nuisance as overtaking opportunities dwindle in increasing traffic.

As for village speed limits, I still (sometimes reluctantly) accept that most of them were put there for some safety reason. If enough drivers ignore them because they don't accept that reason, it may become necessary to restrain them somehow. All drivers know the rules, and they usually (though it's getting harder) know what limit they are driving in. So don't complain if the ref. catches you.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Waino
the spreading curse of the mimser-by-right >>

Parp, parp, M'Lud!

Surely you know that we are an 'ageing' population and, of course, we will all become mimsers eventually. You might recognise 3 types of mimser - or, is true mimsing just restricted to category 1?

1. The decrepit who have no option but to mimse.
2. The elderly who are sufficiently bright but have the good sense to realise that their reactions aren't as sharp as they perhaps were.
3. The older, wiser and more considerate who have seen too much carnage on the roads and know how best to avoid it.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - stunorthants26
I was mimsing the other day - at the speed limit of 30. A car came flying up behind me, did a bit of jig behind me, flashed their lights. Then we drove past the 30 limit repeater sign and they backed right off. Funny that.
It is simply unethical to ask anyone to break the law and risk another persons license - a note to the anti-mimsers - flashing your headlights and swerving around is amusing to watch, but it wont make a mimser go any faster, they just think your a tool with a personality disorder.
speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - R40
Is there a business opportunity here? Possible training offers could include:

* Mimsing for Dummies

* Advanced Mimsing

* M way mimsing

* How to Mimse safely

* How to spot a Mimser........

Personally I am looking forward to becoming a mimser. As the years advance an opportunity to wreak a touch of gentle revenge on those such as my own teenagers would be appreciated ;)

Any fellow Backroomers got other suggestions for further mimser training programmes?

Edited by R40 on 23/01/2009 at 14:45

* Mimsing for maximum annoyance

* The fine art of in-corner Mimsing to prevent progress being made

* Mimsing by Q-car [for Aston Martin and Touareg owners]

:)

speeding in Linton - Derbyshire - Simon
Wow I can't believe that I missed this story totally. Bear in mind that I live in the mention 'neighbouring village of Overseal' and Linton village is only about a mile and a half away from me. This is the first I have heard of it - I never saw any local press about it at all.

Linton village is pretty much just like any other village, yes it is built up right in the middle and is subject to a large area of 30mph speed limit, but it does have a good few differing rural-ish routes out of the village that I dare say are all 30mph zones beyond where they need to be. Its not a village that I travel through much even though it is so close.

I can also vouch though that there are very few accidents in the village. Accidents around this way do tend to be reported quite well in the local press but very very few ever seem to occur in Linton. The surrounding lanes are a lot more dangerous that the village roads themselves.

I think that this is a case of sensationalistic reporting on behalf of the BBC.