mercedes e320 coupe tyres - steve
I have just purchased a 1995 e320 coupe and need some advice on the best tyres to buy. The manual says 195/65ZR15 and a quoted top speed for the car of 230km ph. A couple of tyre shops immediately quoted me for 195/65R15V - and one added 91 to the end of the number. It seems that 195/65 15 is an unusual size to get in ZR - although one tyre place did quote me for Pirelli P6000.
My questions are
1. Is there a tyre that suits the car better; I do not drive it like a maniac so comfort, low noise and tyre life are more important than grip
2. Do I need ZR rated or is the most common recommended V rated tyre sufficient.

Thanks
mercedes e320 coupe tyres - svpworld
I just purchased two Pirelli P6000 195/65R15H at £55 each inclusive of fitting, very good tyres in terms of noise and excellent grip in the dry and wet. Mine are "H" rated which to be honest, as I never drive above 80mph I don't think its going to be a problem (although read an earlier discussion on the subject of tyre speed ratings). Even so "H" are rated to 130mph or 210 kmph and at constant speed of 125mph (200kmph). As you quoted a max speed of 230 kmph, the V rated would fit this category safely. ZR is rated for over 240kph so not necessary for your car.
Personally I prefer a soft quiet tyre, sacrificing a bit of wear for dry grip and a quiet ride. Having endless conversations on the group and off, the P6000 was the best trade off between all factors and sensible priced. Bridgestones are probably quieter if you dont mind paying a bit more.

Speed Symbol "N" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 140 Km/h (88 Mph)
Speed Symbol "P" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 150 Km/h (94 Mph)
Speed Symbol "Q" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 160 Km/h (100 Mph)
Speed Symbol "R" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 170 Km/h (106 Mph)
Speed Symbol "S" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 180 Km/h (113 Mph)
Speed Symbol "T" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 190 Km/h (119 Mph)
Speed Symbol "U" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 200 Km/h (125 Mph)
Speed Symbol "H" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 210 Km/h (130 Mph)
Speed Category "VR" For vehicles having speed capability over 210 Km/h (e.g. 195.50 VR 15)
Speed Category "ZR" For vehicles with a speed capability over 240 Km/h (e.g. 205.40 ZR 17)
Speed Symbol "V" For vehicles with a speed capability not exceeding 240 Km/h (e.g. 225.55 R 15 91V)
Speed Symbol "W" For vehicles having speed capability not exceeding 270 Km/h (e.g. 225.60 R 15 96W)
Speed Symbol "Y" For vehicles having speed capability not exceeding 300 Km/h (e.g. 275.40 R 18 94Y)
ZR+ Speed Symbol "W" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 270 Km/h
ZR+ Speed Symbol "Y" Tyres marked with both designations for vehicles with speed capability over 240 Km/h but not exceeding 300 Km/h
mercedes e320 coupe tyres - Roger Jones
I'm on my second E320 Coupé. The tyres specified in the manuals on both were 205/60R15 for winter and 205/60ZR15 for summer. I had two Michelin Primacy 205/60R15 91W fitted by Micheldever Tyres at £74.26 each a year ago and am happy with them in terms of noise (they are quieter than the previous Michelins). Like you, I don't drive fiercely and I like tyres to last -- hence Michelin every time. By the way, I think HJ has cautioned us in the past about using tyres that don't meet the manufacturer's exact specifications, not least in terms of insurance liabilities (i.e. if you make an insurance claim arising out of a tyre failure, you'll get short shrift if the tyres do not conform with the spec in the manual.

I didn't realize until reading your post that the wheel widths varied on these cars.

On another front, do the doors on your car shut as easily as one would expect an MB door to close? The one frustration I've had with both cars is that those damned large doors need more force than one would wish. To be fair, I was advised by the lady who sold me the first one that "you do need to give these coupé doors a good push". I guess it has to do with the pillarless construction and lack of escape routes for trapped air -- i.e. no problem closing them with the windows open -- but if you have any suggestions I'd be glad to know them.
mercedes e320 coupe tyres - steve
Roger
Std tyres are 195/65ZR15 running on 6.5J rims and the optional wider tyres are 205/60ZR15 running on 7J rims. Not sure if you can safely put the wider tyres on the narrower rims or not?
You are correct with your advice but even your W rated tyre is different to the ZR rating - did you like me have trouble finding the ZR rated tyres?

Can't help with the doors - I have only just bought the car and I had assumed that the weight of the door was the issue. Also the better the seal on any door the harder it is going to be to close it.
mercedes e320 coupe tyres - Roger Jones
Steve

Thanks for responding. I took Micheldever's advice on the matter and was assured that the tyres were correct for the car. Indeed, the new ones match the ones fitted when the car was new (it had only 19k on it when I bought it).
mercedes e320 coupe tyres - flat cap
whatever you do, try to buy them in france. Continental tyres are made in france and they dont have the same daft health and safety or carcass disposal charges as we do. I got my tyres for my a class at £40 each . British Mercedes dealer quoted £58 !!!