Turbo diesel or not - pullgees
I'm looking for a s/h diesel, I see a lot of turbo versions and I'm giving them a miss as I have the idea that they are not as economical.
Given the equivalent engine size and car is this correct? As far as I'm concerned the whole idea of owning a diesel is for economy bearing in mind that diesel fuel is about ten pence more per litre, a turbo might not be any cheaper to run than a petrol vehicle.
Turbo diesel or not - TimOrridge
Turbo D's are generally more economical than the equivalent NA diesel due to the fact that the turbos assist the engine with not much more pedal pressure. You cant really get NA diesels any more. I have just done a 45 mile journey in a fabia 1.4tdi and have averaged 57.1 mpg (according to trip comp) and that was at 70-80 mph and a spot of light traffic. No petrol or NA diesel car can match that. On the downside it would appear that modern turbo d's however clever they are have faults but when they work they work very well. It all depends on your budget and the type of car you require. Please enlighten us more. What have you been looking at?
Turbo diesel or not - mattbod
Turbo Diesel engines are probably more economical than an atmo as you do not have to work them so hard. Trust me buy an atmo Diesel (the few that are left ) and you will lose the will to live such is the lack of performance. On the negative side modern Turbo Diesel engines are getting very complicated so if you want low costs and don't do many miles get a small car with a petrol engine.
Turbo diesel or not - Altea Ego
You will have a tough job finding a non turbo diesel, most have been phased out over the last 10 years. Those that are left will be knackered.
Turbo diesel or not - DP
I've owned two NA diesels (Golf and Polo) - both horrible to drive.

Turbo diesels are torquey, gutsy and pretty much as frugal. Diesel engines also give turbos a much easier time than petrol engines, as the exhaust gases are cooler. I've known many turbo diesels from various manufacturers (VW, Ford, Vauxhall, Renault and Peugeot) pass 200,000 miles on their original turbos.

Also, because a diesel engine runs unthrottled, a turbocharger works much more efficiently than on a petrol engine, and the engine responds better.

It sounds silly, but forced induction is an almost "natural" state for a diesel engine.

Cheers
DP

Edited by DP on 24/10/2008 at 20:56

Turbo diesel or not - Lud
>>It sounds silly, but forced induction is an almost "natural" state for a diesel engine.

Absolutely. But there have been good atmospheric diesels (PSA's XUD being a case in point). While not reaching quite the levels of refinement and oomph of a turbo, that engine in a little Peugeot 205 was quite decently refined, went very well and returned 50mpg going rapidly on motorways. With the added advantage of simplicity.

I imagine the current problems with DPFs, DMFs and CR misfuelling will be overcome quickly in the stingier economic climate we will soon be enjoying. Indeed there are probably some - Toyota? - that don't have these problems now.

Turbo diesel or not - stunorthants26
I remember the old non turbo Rover 218 diesel was a very nice car, not too slow and had a very smooth power delivery, if no real shove.
Turbo diesel or not - mrmender
I'm with you Lud far too many anaocronisms DP, AS, AA, RAC,CRD TDi ESP,............ Buy a Morris Minor .............. Has a engine & Brakes (Sometimes!) full stop!
Turbo diesel or not - b308
Would agree with the others but with one proviso, some TDs have terrible turbo lag - from experience I'd reccomend the VAG 1.9TDis both old style and PD versions - the PD ones espoecially are very smooth from 1500rpm unpwards...

Perhaps others could comment on the Citreon and Ford versions?

Let us know what you are looking at and I'm sure someone will be able to comment on it!!
PD? Smooth? Nope - And Yes I know about what I speak, I am on my third.

PD? Smooth? Nope

I had one for 6 years and recently test drove another and they were smooth....

And have got another on order so it'd better be! ;)
I have put some 70k miles on three of them in the last few years. I love the engine for its linear torque delivery at almost any revs, but its a rough noisy old bag of nails compared to anyone elses modern diesel. Not as fuel efficient as them either
perhaps thats what you meant by smooth. Linear delivery of torque. In that case yes its smooth delivery of power.
perhaps thats what you meant by smooth. Linear delivery of torque.

Yep, sorry, AE!
Turbo diesel or not - cattleman6
I know I have mentioned it before; but my 1.9 TDiSE 110 bhp Seat Toledo from the end of 1999, has now done over 162,000 miles. I am absolutely thrilled and have never owned such a good reliable car. The diesel engine comes from before the PD engines, it is very flexible, economical and has plenty of flexible torque.
Turbo diesel or not - daveyjp
I've just been parked behind a 53 reg Polo SDi so newish non turbos are still about.
Turbo diesel or not - stunorthants26
I just a Renault 18 diesel with 136k on Ebay for £3000 - if your mad enough. Made my day seeing that.
So turbos are cheaper to run, that surprised me.
What I'm looking for is a small diesel, i.e, Peugeot 306, Fiesta Mk4 even a late Mk3,Polo, Punto, Astra year 96, 97 or 98. The Astra though has a !.7 and I guess if that wasn't turbod it would very sluggish. There are a lot of 306s with turbos, are they a good buy?
There are still plenty of mid nineties diesels about, around 100000 miles or less so they shouldn't be knackered. My budget is £800. As long as I get 50mpg I'm happy.
Turbo diesel or not - able1

Turbo or not turbo: that is the question.
Turbo diesel or not - mfarrow
The Astra 1.7 will be turbocharged, but depending on the variant may not have an intercooler.
Turbo diesel or not - Sofa Spud
I run an 13 year-old VW Passat 1.9 TDI estate car. I've seen 53 mpg out of it. It's done 180,000 miles now. I had been planning to change it but waiting for the impending collapse in secondhand car prices to pick up a bargain - my Passat is worth virtually nothing already so it's recession proof!

Nearly all modern diesels have turbochargers - generally they are a lot more economical then petrol equivalents and exhausts on diesels tend to last a lot longer too, which saves several hundred pounds over the lifetime of a car.
Turbo diesel or not - Armitage Shanks {p}
Any exhaust system that does not have a Particulate Filter in it will be likely to save several hundreds of pounds over the lifetime of a car too!
Turbo diesel or not - gmac
If you want 50mpg do not touch a 306 TD. I had a '96 P reg 306 XRdt and averaged 36mpg in it (that was from brand new). My previous car was a '90 G reg Mk2 Golf GTi (bought second hand in '94 with 40k on the clock) which I averaged 38mpg in.
Only 36mpg from a Pug 306 diesel, I find that hard to believe. Now you've got me worried I'm going to look at one tomorrow.
Only 36mpg from a Pug 306 diesel I find that hard to believe.

Only the TD version, the NA one was ok - if you read the tests in the 80s and 90s in Diesel Car they only used to get late 30s early 40s out of the XUD Turbo diesels.
Turbo diesel or not - GJD
Only the TD version the NA one was ok - if you read the tests
in the 80s and 90s in Diesel Car they only used to get late 30s
early 40s out of the XUD Turbo diesels.

Good gracious, what were they doing to them!? Unless I'm very much mistaken, my 97P 195,000 mile Citroen ZX turbodiesel has the same engine. Generally spirited driving (as much as you can get spirit out of 90 horses and 140 torques) returns around 46mpg - that's a mix of rural, urban and motorway. A tankful of only motorway cruising at 70mph is up towards, or occasionally just above, 50mpg. I don't think I've ever seen less than 40 other than towing big things quite fast.

(No overoptimistic on-board computers by the way - I don't have one. Those numbers all come from me measuring real things and doing sums).
Good gracious what were they doing to them!?

It was their usual "test" mpg - same as many other car mags it includes the acceleration tests amongst others which can really hammer average mpg if done over quite short overall test mileages - normally I could get about another 5 or so mpg out of my cars with little trouble - also the 205/306/ZX were all quite light cars as well, which helps... unless you take advantage of the lightness!

I'd just rather not say you'll have no probs getting 50mpg and then getting shot down when they can't - I'd rather be more realistic... unlike the Gov Fuel figures!! ;)
Turbo diesel or not - Avant
Agree with someone above - the Peugeot XUD engine is the only non-turbo diesel I can think of with reasonably spruightly performnce. If you don't need a big car there are a few 205s about (try www.autotrader.com): old but serviceable. Or a 306 non-turbo.
Turbo diesel or not - Mr.Tee43
VW 1.9TDI 130bhp.

Goes like stink !

Does 57 mpg on a run easily and not hanging about.

VED £125 a year, soon to drop to 120 as it only pumps out 125 grams of co2

Bora version will carry 4/5 people with a huge boot for luggage

Comfortable and quiet and even reliable if you find a good independant to service it.

I'm getting rather confused now. Earlier on in this thread the consensus was that turbos were more economical than non turbos. Now I'm being told to avoid the 306 TD, (TD presumably meaning turbo diesel), and go for the non turbo. The last couple of threads are confirming what I've always believed with old diesels and that is that turbos are more thirsty. Or does this just apply to the 306?
Turbo diesel or not - Armitage Shanks {p}
I have a 4 year old common rail TD. Driving calmly, 65 in a 70, 55 in a 60 and complying with all 30s and 40s I can get over 60 mpg on A/B roads and over 65mpg on Mways. If the car has a particulate filter in needs a high rev run, regularly, to keep the filter clear ie not for stop/start in town all its life!
I'm getting rather confused now. Earlier on in this thread the consensus was that turbos
were more economical than non turbos.

We've moved on to discussing some of the older TDs and the early ones in cars were mainly indirect injection turbo diesels (the main exceptions being the VW/Audis and Austin Rovers!). Direct injection diesels are more efficient than the IDIs but the down side is that they are noisier and a little rougher, but with modern sound deadening its not that noticable these days.

The 306 unfortunately has had all three types of diesel engine in it - the normally asperated 1.9D, the IDI turbo known as the 1.9TD (or "diesel turbo" on the badge on the back), and more recently the HDi 2.0 engine which is their Direct Injection version - you will need to find out exactly which engine it is!

PS I don't know whether the HDi engine is any good mpg-wise btw!
Turbo diesel or not - gordonbennet
. The last couple of
threads are confirming what I've always believed with old diesels and that is that turbos
are more thirsty. Or does this just apply to the 306?

>>

Agree with that, i've had a 306 td and avensis td, early model before d4d, and found them both capable of very good consumption if driven with restraint keeping the revs low and not allowing the turbo to spool too fast, say below 2500rpm.

But the 306 especially as it went like a scalded cat was too tempting to do that with and i got it down to about 35/36mpg very often.
The avensis was a 2000 model and as it didn't have a great power output anyway the consumption wasn't so bad but still a vast difference in the way it was driven.

You need a comparatively large engine without turbo to be any use at all, and that coupled with a very light car, you will struggle to find that combo, Peugeots were probably best with the 205, 106, 309 but the mk1 golf's were good too, as was Fiat's 1.9 na diesel.

A 306 which was quite heavy was horrible in NA form and most of the NA models came without PAS, not a pleasant car at all.

For real economical (by fuel consumption only) motoring overall though my choice would be older non common rail diesels, the newer may be more efficient, but a nasty fault can easily wipe out thousands of miles of fuel savings, of course if you can afford to buy newish and take advantage of (particularly the long Korean) warranties then thats different.

Turbo diesel or not - David Horn
Had a 1998 Passat as a courtesy car last week. 320000 miles on the original engine and still started and ran nicely. Air con didn't work, sadly. Interestingly, the trip computer showed an average of 57mpg around the Devon lanes, something I found slightly annoying as I can only get 43 out of my 2003 Passat!
GB - I thought that the 106 only ever had the 1.4 or 1.5 NA diesel, not the 1.9?

Mind you they were very frugal engines but had no poke - had a 1.4D Metro that never gave less than 60mpg but never overtook much either!

Edited by b308 on 26/10/2008 at 10:41

Turbo diesel or not - gordonbennet
GB - I thought that the 106 only ever had the 1.4 or 1.5 NA
diesel not the 1.9?

Quite right, but the 1.5 especially wasn't a bad little runabout at all, light and nimble, and fuel figures still among the very best today, i'm very disappointed that Pug stopped making the thing, with a bit of tiddling about they would be selling in huge numbers still IMO. Much more comfortable ride than some of the newer offerings, simple mechanics, and all round visibility unobtainable now

I don't remember if that engine was ever offered with a turbo, wouldn't that have been a smashing car with either a 1.5 or 1.9 td under the bonnet.
Probably would have stolen far too many sales from various gti models, bit like the rare 205td.

Strangely enough i've just obtained a 106 zest3 petrol for my daughter, 10 years old and its still a solid motor, with the handy PAS too.

Thinking back my best mate has had lots of cars with the 1.4 and 1.5 diesels, AX, 106 and Metro's, he always found the metro's to be more sluggish than the others, bit like the XUD engine'd Rover 218's, did Peugeot make sure the units they sold to Rover didn't have the same pep somehow, or were the Rovers heavier?
Apart from the CHG on a metro he never had a moments trouble from any of them.

Think they were heavier - certainly the AX and 106 were light cars! Only problem with the Metro was rust, the engine was unbreakable!! Oh, and heavy steering!!!

Edited by b308 on 26/10/2008 at 12:09

I was going to look at an N reg 306 TD which would be an IDI therefore not so fuel efficient, so thanks for that info. Anyway the N/A 1.9 is nippy enough for me and I can live without PAS.
The VAG Group 1.9 SDi engines are pretty good if you are not in a rush and pretty economical - they can be found in a variety of cars - ones like the Fabia or Octavia SDis should come quite cheap now I'd have thought! Just watch you don't get an old taxi if you get an Octavia SDi - especially from the Brighton or Bournemouth area!
Turbo diesel or not - 1400ted
I had a Punto 1.7 turbo diesel new in 1997. It was great...65 to the gallon and towed my 13ft caravan at the legal speed and returned 45mpg doing it. Had to go, was on 3 yr lease. Have a 17ft van now and bought an old 2.0litre turbo diesel Suzuki Grand Vitara automatic to tow it. Good, economical, rugged and simple...and that lovely 'whoosh' when you accelerate.
T3ed
Turbo diesel or not - David Horn
The XUD diesels never seem to run out of fuel, with the UA version getting 50+ mpg. Even my 1.9TD used to give 48 most trips, with 50+ on A-roads.
Turbo diesel or not - cheddar
I had a '93 Cavalier with the 1.7 Izuzu TD engine also found in Astras etc, perhaps a late 90's Astra with this engine could prove to be a good diesel on a budget.

I recall it always felt like it would run and run and was more refined, if a a little less punchy, than the Peugeot 1.9TD units at the time and did 45mpg whether crawling through London all day or 200 miles of motorway. A colleague had a 405 1.9TD though we gravitated towards the Cav if doing a long run together, it seemed to waft along at 80 ish with little diesely thrum.

However a sign of how thing have progressed is that my Mondeo produces 50% more power and twice as much torque! Yet is even more economical.
Yes, I forgot about the Vauxhall offerings! Just for P's info the old Cavalier and Mk2 (?) Astras were powered by these engines which were IDIs - they started off in the Cavalier in 1.6D (NA) form which was slow but economical and then enlarged to 1.7 and then they brought out the 1.7D with a "low blow" turbo which was turbo'd but at low presssure I think - it gave useful power increase over the standard 1.7D but not as much as the 1.7TD which I think was a different engine with full turbo!

I had a low blow 1.7 in an Astra Estate which was very goodbut confusingly still labelled 1.7D! - mid to high 40s and loads of space in side - replaced it with a Vectra with their original 2.0 Di engine which was a dog (the engine, not the car!!).

Back to the old stuff, we used to tow our caravan (13') with a Maestro Clubman D which replaced a 1.6 Belmont - 45mpg towing, 60+ solo... now they were economical!!
Wow! Getting lost for choice now, thanks all.
You did ask!! ;)

Edited by b308 on 27/10/2008 at 10:39

Turbo diesel or not - malteser
I'm getting, (according to the onboard computer and over the last 10,000 km), 5.6 litres per 100 km. This eqates to a fraction over 50 mpg.
The car - a 2001, owned since new, Skoda Fabia 1.9tdi, with 126,000 km (78,000 miles +-).
It goes like stink when pushed and (says v. quietly) I've seen 190 kph, so probably 180 genuine, on a clear toll motorway, not downhill, one up, while keeping a sharp lookout for the Guardia Trafico blokes on motorbikes!
Turbo diesel or not - cheddar
b308, the 1.7 n/a engine was GM's own based on the earlier 1.6, I think there was a low pressure turbo version of this at one point. The 1.7 TD was an Izuzu unit, totally different, and was a development of the 1.5TD unit used in the Nova.

The 1.7TD was quoted as 82bhp (and 129 ft/lbs) the same as the 16v 2.0Di in its first incarnation, this was later 100bhp, and was more refined that the Di.
Thanks, C, I thought it was a different engine - my boss had a Cav with the TD in it and never really got much above 40 or so mpg - the 82bhp Di engine is the one I had - it was economical (50+) but had a problem which two very expensive rebuilds didn't fix (under warranty thank goodness!) - still don't know what caused it - we got rid for the Fabia Estate TDi which was the best move I ever made car-wise!
Turbo diesel or not - mfarrow
Thanks C I thought it was a different engine - my boss had a Cav
with the TD in it and never really got much above 40 or so mpg

A friend of mine had exactly the same engine and experience (complete with two air filters!). The Isuzu engine had much improved fuel consumption in later guises.
Turbo diesel or not - pendulum
I have here with me a data sheet from Citroen, detailing the mpg figures for a range of vehicles and engines.

The figures for my XUD engined vehicle are:

1.9D : 42.2mpg @ Urban | 64.2mpg @ 56mph | 47.9mpg @ 75mph
1.9TD : 39.2mpg @ Urban | 65.7mpg @ 56mph | 45.6mpg @ 75mph

As you can see, economy wise there really isn't a lot in it at all. The NA is a little better around town and whilst blasting it, and the turbo's a little better when cruising at a steady 56mph.

The turbo is the better choice as the turbo units aren't known for failing very often on these engines and the extra acceleration is well worth having.

Edited by pendulum on 27/10/2008 at 16:49