2001 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - zokes
Hi,

My TDCi mondeo 130 has developed a problem when particularly cold. From a cold start, trying to turn the key results in a loud whine, but no attempt to turn over the engine. This happened once the other day, once last night, and about 10 times this morning (i.e. as the weather has started getting very cold). Seeing as it happened so many times this morning, I was able to check the warning lights, and apart from oil, handbrake and battery (obviously all on until engine starts and car is moving), the fuel light (it has more than half a tank at present) was the only other light.

So then any ideas? It runs fine once eventually started, but as it took so long to start this morning, i'm guessing it may not start many more times...

Cheers!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/10/2008 at 13:27

00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - zokes
Oops, it's actually a 2001 TDCi. Any help much appreciated!

{corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 17/10/2008 at 13:28

00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - cheddar
It could be simply that the battery is low so is not engaging the starter, it could be that the starter motor is faulty, or worryingly it could indicate damage to the dual-mass fly wheel stopping the starter engaging. I say worryingly because this would be a costly repair.

It is however so difficult to tell from the description given, perhaps call into your local Ford dealer and enquire, it may be that a technician will come out to the car and (try to) start it and may be able to express an opinion.
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - zokes
Thanks for the advice. I'm hoping it's not the flywheel, but I think I'm justified in this as when it does start, it starts first time and no sign of any adverse noise etc. When it doesn't start, there is no attempt to turn the engine over, just a noise similar to when you put your hand over a vacuum cleaner etc so the motor over-runs. It basically sounds like the starter motor isn't even attempting to engage. When the engine starts, it starts normally, with no abnormal sounds that could be attributed to a worn flywheel (or worn anything else). Certainly no smoke or any sign of worn injectors or fuel pump etc, and it runs fine once started.
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - RichardW
Hmm, I reckon that's odds on the DMF is shot. Time to dig deep I'm afraid. 'Easy' check is to remove the starter and look in the nose - if it's full of swarf then the DMF is away.
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - wooooody64
I have had the exact same problem on my 02 TDCi for the last 2 weeks now, my starter wont work at all now, car will jump start and work run fine.

Did you manage to sort it out?
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - Screwloose

If the starter won't work at all, but it starts on jump-leads; then I'd be getting the battery checked.
Hi screwloose,

Sorry what I meant was bump start, it will start if I push it, wont start now from key.

The symptoms are exactly the same as Zokes.

The starter motor makes a noise, but engine does not start.

Over the last 2 weeks the starter motor would make a noise on 2 attempts and then start on the 3rd attempt, but now the starter just makes the noise and not start after every try.

Im hoping it is just the starter motor causing the trouble.

If it is; buy yourself a lottery ticket...
If it isnt, I will need a lottery win to pay for it ;-0

So you reckon the chances of it just being the starter motor defective as low then?

I was just wondering if Zokes had got his sorted and what it was, as my problem was definetly the same as his.

I will take it to my local Mondeo centre next week and find out the good/bad news ;-(

Starters are a lot more reliable than ever they used to be. If they fail now, then there will often be an external cause.

If there is metal frag in the starter nose - it's game over. Sorry.

It's still worth checking the usuals first. Are the main cables/battery terminals tight, uncorroded and do they hiss or get warm when the key is held turned?
Ive had the car for 2 years, Ive done 10,000 miles, the car has done 80k in total.

All the ignition lights come on when I turn the key and the engine did start now and again, the battery seems fine.

I guess only an inspection of the starter will give me the answer, I have read of some Mondeo users who experienced the problem, and it was just the starter motor.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=50897

Red Baron on the link above had the same issue, replaced the starter and has done 10k since, thats 2 years motoring for me.

When it is running there are no strange noises, it runs fine, so fingers crossed........and legs and arms ;-)
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - mfarrow
Screwloose it right as ever, don't go blindly into replacing the starter. A work colleague learnt the lesson the hard way when he had to replace the start twice. That's £600 versus £300!
Hi,

well I am going to have to pay someone to look at the starter anyway and it is going to need replacing even if it is the flywheel.

Is it a big job to take of the starter a examine it?
00 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - Red Baron
Search through the Forums...I had exactly the issue described. The starter would screech first every so often, but finally it would take four or more attempts to start the car...which then fired just fine.

Took it to a Ford dealer...new starter at £300 and upon inspection there was no damage to the flywheel.

Once you have paid someone to take off the starter for examination you may as well get a new one fitted.
Cheers Red,

I'm hoping my outcome is the same as yours! ;-)
Got a new starter motor fitted, starts first time every time now and I have done approx 230 miles since, so its looking good.

Bought 3 lottery tickets since, but still no win ;-)
2001 2.0 TDCi non-starting when cold - jon-george
i have a 2004 mondeo estate 130 and the other day my starter just stopped working and the aa thought that ir was the flywheel but it turned out to be the starter but i am sure that i have having to change it soon as i tow