Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - a900ss
Hi,

I've just been given a C220CDI Auto as a company car and not too sure which is the most economical setting for the auto box?

It's a five speeder with Comfort and Standard as the choices.

In Comfort it certainly changes gear earlier BUT the transmission 'slips' more than when in standard when you accelerate.

In Standard, changes are later but less slip in the gearbox.

Anybody know what's most economical? The Slip and early change up or less slip but higher RPM to change?

I have to say though that either way, I'm quite impressed with it's economy. I've kept it in standard most of the time and most of my driving is motorway work at about 80MPH. The average MPG (brim to brim not trip computer) has been 43.1MPG.

PS - I'm fully aware that Comfort and Standard will both be as economical as each other when cruising on the motorway.

Edited by a900ss on 16/10/2008 at 18:15

Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - boxsterboy
Comfort has sometimes been called W (winter) in these Merc 5-speed tiptronic boxes due to the higher gear pull-away. I always find S (Standard or Sport?) preferable for daily driving. If you are after economy, the lower reving of the Comfort setting must surely be more economical?
Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - Bill Payer
C is the more economical, but I have a C270CDi and even in that C really dulls the whole car.

I sometimes put in C if I'm on a flowing but slow A road as will shift into higher gear earlier, and the torque of the engine can pull the higher gear. But around town, C is painful when pulling out of junctions, onto roundabouts etc, and, if you boot the car off the line, it will still shift down to 1st anyway but it does it with a most unMercedes-like jolt.
Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - ForumNeedsModerating
How can you expect anyone else to know how economical it is? Do some brim-to-brim tests & tell us. In my experience it's more how you drive & the urban/sub-urban mileage profile that's more important than any notional engine or gearbox moderators.
As it happens, I drive a c270 with the W/S (Winter/Summer) option & I'm fairly sure it makes zilch difference - it just starts off in 2nd gear. The change pattern tends to be dictated by how hard you press the loud pedal.
Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - Collos25
"most of my driving is motorway work at about 80MPH"

And I thought there was a 70mph speed limit silly me.
How can you expect anyone else to know how economical it is?

I've already given the answer - C (or W for you) is more economical. Of course a whole load of other factors affect economy but we weren't asked about those.
The change pattern tends to be dictated by how hard you press the loud pedal.

The autobox ecu also learns your driving style. All things being equal if you drive in C/W it will change up earlier and will therefore be more economical.
Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>I've already given the answer - C (or W for you) is more economical.

I'm not sure, you've certainly given 'an' answer. I've spoken to several mercedes techs. about what exactly, the two modes do - the general concensus seems to be (on my S=summer W=winter 'box) that start-off is 2nd gear in 'W' & reverse is similarly raised somehow - although not to a different gear. Change points unaffected - driving style dictates/modifies this.

They thought the over-riding dynamic on gear-change points was the 'learn/adapt' aspect of the gearbox ECU bit. That is, even in 'S', if you drive in a leisurely way, change points will be earlier & vice versa for 'W'.

Given the above, it's not clear which is most economical as it depends to a large extent on how/where you drive - hence my answer. Not to you btw, but the OP - he should do his own tests - that'll be more accurate than any pontifications by us.

Given that the OP tells us he drives at 80mph on motorways mostly, it doesn't seem likely that economy motoring is his forte anyway.
I've spoken to several mercedes techs. about what exactly the two modes do -

Given that most of them don't even seem to understand how ASSYST works I wouldn't believe anything a Mercedes Tech told me.

You can test it for yourself. Drive at 40-45MPH ish (just before the box shifts into 5th) in S mode then press the W button. The car will immediately shift into 5th because all the change points are lower in W.
Given that the OP tells us he drives at 80mph on motorways mostly it doesn't
seem likely that economy motoring is his forte anyway.

Although I don't find it to be true, some owners insist their MB's economy is better at 80 than 70. There could be something in this as the gearbox doesn't fully lock up until quite a high speed
Automatic - Comfort or Standard? - rtj70
Might you not have got better economy sticking with the temporary Passat on a permanent basis?

How do both compare to the 1.8 SMax diesel you previously had?