Good time to buy? - neenaw
Hi all, I'm a long time reader but first time poster here!

I was just thinking today whether it's a good time to be buying a used car with the credit crunch going on and the likes?

I've been thinking about changing my car for a while now and am looking for a diesel estate that I can fit a couple of bikes in the boot of, I'm currently thinking of a Peugeot 307SW. I've noticed that there's some pretty good deals to be had on 2-3 year old models, even through main dealers.

So, is it a good time to buy or would I be better off waiting a few months to let everything settle down first?

Edited by Pugugly on 15/10/2008 at 22:32

Good Time To Buy? - Stuartli
I'd wait until the depths of winter when the dealers are really feeling the pinch...:-)

Apologies to any car salesmen reading the above.
Good Time To Buy? - rtj70
I think I'd be with Stuarli on this. Wait a bit. If you need finance you might also get a better deal, maybe even 0% finance.

My neighbour surprised me this week - a brand new 5 series BMW (2.0d SE).... was now I good time to buy?
Good Time To Buy? - bimmer-driver
Nows a brilliant time to buy- neighbour just picked up an 08 but delivery miles BMW 320Ci coupe thing. Lovely looking thing for £19500
In your case though, its never really a good time to buy a Peugeot 307. They're unreliable junk.

Edited by Cooper-driver on 15/10/2008 at 19:24

Good Time To Buy? - PhilW
Definitely a good time to buy - whether it will get better I wouldn't like to say.
Had contact with a few dealers recently, heard a few tales.
1. Chatted to bloke made redundant by a main dealer of German cars (no names, no pack drill!) in Midlands. He went on holiday at end of August when they had been regularly selling 30-40 cars a week in previous year. Came back from hols and in next few weeks they averaged 3-4 car sales per week.
2. Another large dealer of other German cars I was told had sold 1 car in previous week - down from 30 per week.
3. Major dealer of German sports cars in south-east sold 3 cars last week - staff being laid off.
4. Asked a M-B saleman how much a C class that I liked would cost - he said list price was £26,995 but if we started at £21,000 we "could do some "bargaining" and come to a deal". (Still out of my price range I'm afraid!!)

So, if you fancy the 307 - do some serious bargaining!!!
PS

"they're unreliable junk"

HJ gives them 4 stars in CbC breakdown

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=637
Good Time To Buy? - madf
If you can wait a year , do so.

The recession has only just started..

Lots of people to lose jobs so personal or company cars will be sold..

I expect prices to collapse late next year... this time.

New cars sales falling, no credit and lots of hungry mouths to feed.

And by then petrol and diesel will be well under 1.00 per litre.. so big cars will become affordable AND cheap to run..
Good Time To Buy? - neenaw
Well I was actually looking to buy early next year but I was just wondering if it would better to buy now.

The 307 was just a thought, I'm also thinking about the Zafira or possibly the Vectra estate. Basically as long as it'll carry a couple of bikes, some bags and be good on fuel I'll be happy!
"Basically as long as it'll carry a couple of bikes, some bags and be good on fuel I'll be happy!"

Berlingo/Partner??
Got a mate who is really into Mountain Biking/climbing/camping/skiing etc and he swears by his Partner
Good Time To Buy? - Stuartli
>>and he swears by his Partner >>

I just swear at mine....
When I wrote that, I just knew that someone would come back with a witty quip!!
Phil
Good Time To Buy? - mlj
I've got a diesel Berlingo. I get two bikes in the boot, upright, without removing front wheels. Room for a third. Room for luggage as well. It takes a second to flip the back seats forward to leave a completely flat floorspace. I get 55 mpg. You can find an 07 with 2K miles for £9.5. Probably negotiable. cheaper models available. A Peugeot SW will not do the same.
Good Time To Buy? - gmac
You can find an 07 with 2K miles for £9.5. Probably negotiable. cheaper models
available.

Nah ! Go on, I'll give you £9.50
Good Time To Buy? - Alby Back
Even if you paid £9.50, people would still.....well.......see you in it.

;-)

Only kidding.......honest.......I'm sure they are very, um................Oh 'eck.
Good Time To Buy? - Westpig
Even if you paid £9.50 people would still.....well.......see you in it.
;-)

do you know, i was thinking the same...whilst desperately trying to mentally chastise myself
Good Time To Buy? - mlj
I tell you what Humph, they are.
Good Time To Buy? - Alby Back
That's a relief, I thought they would be.
I've got one and I can confirm that they are, though I must confess that at first I thought they wouldn't be.
As an aside, am I they only Berlingo driver without a grey beard?? (I include the women Berlingo drivers in that Q as well!!)
Good Time To Buy? - gmac
Even if you paid £9.50 people would still.....well.......see you in it.

Thanks Humph...Becks all over the keyboard now. Thanfully it's the other'alfs laptop and she's gone to bed so, shhhh !!!

Edited by gmac on 15/10/2008 at 23:11

Good Time To Buy? - Hamsafar
I think the value of cars will fall another relative 25% or so, but it will be coupled with less job security and more expensive loans and finance. Also, people may start to scrip on maintenance, so in 6-12 months time, you may be getting a car that needs tyres, cambelt, service etc... rather than one that's just had them.
Good Time To Buy? - BobbyG
And of course, worth bearing in mind, that if you have a car to part-ex as part of the deal, its value will fall as well...
Good Time To Buy? - gmac
Also people may start to scrip on maintenance so in 6-12 months time you may be getting
a car that needs tyres cambelt service etc... rather than one that's just had them.

That's a point, I meant to start a thread on that, thanks for the reminder...
Good Time To Buy? - qxman {p}
Like many people I've been expecting prices to soften, but I think it very much depends on what you're looking for.
A family member is after a used/nearly-new Skoda Octavia RS (up to one year old and under 10kmiles). We've seen a few on Autotrader and the Skoda used car finder, but they are priced quite high and seem to sell quickly. Three that we were interested in sold within two weeks. Speaking to the dealers it seems that these cars are fairly popular and people still want to buy, but are going for used rather than new. So new car sales down but used still quite strong (assuming its something desirable and not an SUV).
Good time to buy? - Mapmaker
In 18 months' time, sub-1-year ,sub-10k cars will be thin on the ground and prices will increase for them.

In 3 years' time, 3-year-old cars will be thin on the ground and prices will hold better.

At some point old cars will go up in price too (and being stuffed full of useless unfixable electronics they'll cost more to run). I guess the last few years have been the golden age of bangernomics.

Good time to buy? - midlifecrisis
When I bought my car 18 months ago, I had a test drive in a 3 series BMW. Yesterday, I had a call from a BMW dealer saying that as it had been 18 months since my visit, was I considering changing my car. Smacks of desperation. They must be calling everyone on their database.

(Problem is..I still fancy a 520d M Sport....good job they'll only offer peanuts for the Pug..I will resist)
Good time to buy? - Alby Back
Could be considered an investment though....... Long term car. Quality build. Would take the years and miles in its stride. Rear wheel drive, feeling of a proper driver's car, pride of ownership, a treat to yourself.........You deserve it, only live once sort of thing....Could be a future classic even......

Go on.....you know you want to.........

Heh heh !
Good time to buy? - midlifecrisis
Yes, but I've had three separate females compliment my car in the last couple of days..and at 40 with thinning hair, I need all the help I can get. :)

(Don't tell the wife I said that!)
Good time to buy? - madf
The trouble is: compliment the car is OK.. but what about the owner?