2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - espzetec
Right I have blown my turbo on a 130TDCi for the second time. this is purely down to me not servicing the car.
Is it easy enough to replace the turbo yourself? It looks like a straight forward unbolt, and bolt back on job.

I need to remove the intercooler and drain the oil that dumped in there follwoing the turbo failure, but I would think that it the worst part of the job?

Any tips?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2008 at 11:07

2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - cheddar
Make sure you are sure of the diagnosis.

Get a Haynes manual.
2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - espzetec
how do you mean?

I accelerated, something went pop and now smokes like a good un! Something also rattles when i accelerated (the turbine i think has come off!)
2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - yorkiebar
Not done 1 on 1 of these, but turbo replacement is usually relativley easy but awkward with bolts/seals/pipes etc.

Cleanliness is ESSENTIAL !

But ensure diagnosis is correct 1st as turbo is not a cheap guess !
2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - mfarrow
I accelerated something went pop and now smokes like a good un!

A hose coming off would give the same problem. I have seen one of these.
2002 2.0 TDCi - Blown Turbo - nottsruss
You need to check turbo type if that is the problem.Mine was removed from underneath attached to the inlet manifold.Remove top sheild and inlet hose/duct to see if impeller is free to spin. My impeller shaft sheared thus did rattle. Managed to pull up straight away with plumes of smoke. RAC advised not to start engine again as it can suck engine oil in and be very hard to stop engine running . My total cost thru trade was £525 exchange unit and refitting.
Very important to oil change frequent ~ expensive mistake !!!
Cheers Notts Russ.