Mismatched Pirelli Tyres - Tly175
My local garage replaced a Pirelli P6000 with a Pirelli P6 last week (car had new clutch fitted also) when I verbally asked for a P6000 because that is what they fitted to the other front wheel only 500 miles ago.
The garage is very helpful and I dont want to cause a fuss. If I had to stop quickly in the wet would it matter the tyres are not identical? Would you insist it is changed? The description of the two tyres abilities dont seem much different to me.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/10/2008 at 11:20

PIRELLI TYRES - Adam {P}
It make absolutely no difference whatsoever. In fact, this year sees the first time ever I've owned a car that doesn't have more than 3 different makes of tyres on all at once!

It would probably make some difference (in an emergency) if you had cheap budget tyres and Pirellis at the same time but certainly not two different (but equally decent) makes let alone a P6000 and a P6.

Adam
PIRELLI TYRES - craig-pd130
Seconded. As long as the tyre is the same size, speed rating etc it will be fine (once it's scrubbed in -- about 100 miles or so)
PIRELLI TYRES - Andy P
I have to disagree. Braking depends on the same level of grip from each side of the car. If you have a tyre on one side that has more grip, it'll try to slow the car down more on that side than the other. There's also the possibility of one tyre locking up, causing problems with the ABS system.

Firestone state:

"Always fix new tyres on front axle & never mix tyres of different make & structure on same axle as it affects braking ability."

From another tyre site:

"Use tyres with the same size, type, construction, tread pattern and brand on your vehicle. If using a mix of tyres can not be avoided, you should get professional guidance"

and

"Ideally, all tyres on a vehicle should be of the same construction, as mixing tyre types affects driving control. Tyres should be replaced in sets of four (or at least in pairs on the same axle) to maintain consistent handling. At the very least, the same type of tyre should be fitted to the same axle (front or rear). "

"And unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing, mixing tyre types can be very dangerous because you will be introducing different tyre characteristics either at the front or rear of the car. This could be hazardous under certain conditions."

PIRELLI TYRES - Number_Cruncher
>>causing problems with the ABS system.

No, one of the strengths of ABS is how it copes with split mu surfaces.

In fact this gives a hint at why this particular instance of tyre mixing is not something to get too excited about - you'll encounter much great variations in mu between the crown and the gutter side of the road, between having one wheel on road line paint, and another on a monhole cover than there will ever be between two similar tyres from the same maker.

PIRELLI TYRES - The Gingerous One
If I was on a race track or a hillclimb or similar motorsport event then I might be concerned.
I might be concerned if it were a £30k car and I was paying £150-odd a tyre or something.

But otherwise, no. Especially with 2 very good premium branded tyres on.
They're the same size and there's loads of tread so I would consider it job done.

I admire you though, there's no way I'd have ever considered putting such premium tyres on such a car. I would normally just go for the cheapest new radial.

cheers
Stu
Mismatched Pirelli Tyres - FotheringtonThomas
Would you insist it is changed?

Not unless I disliked the cosmetic difference of having different writing on the sidewalls.