05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - Postman Pat
I tow a caravan with my deisel XTrail and when accelerating hard with a heavy load on the car suddenly loses power-as if the fuel flow is being strangled. No mis-fires, no juddering, just a power constriction. Lift the foot of the accelerator and re-apply more gently and the problem goes. Can be a bit embarrasing if you are half way past a truck on the motorway and suddenly have to drop back 'cos your powers gone. Nissan main dealer failed to find problem at last service (no surprise there) and it does seem to be getting progressively worse. Any ideas?
05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - Screwloose

When was the fuel filter last done? I've heard of this before - just can't remember the cause....
05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - Screwloose

Does the engine management light come on when this happens? Has the dealer read the fault-codes?

Apparently, there are turbo issues on these that cause overboost under load and the system drops to limp mode to protect the fragile engines.
Xtrail has been serviced from new by main dealers at correct intervals so if fuel filter was due for replacement I presume it was done (but I will check next time it goes in).
Engine Management light does not come on but suggestion that it could go on to limp mode seems feasible except my previous experience of this on another car (Audi A4) was different. On Audi , once limp mode had triggered,engine remained low on power(no turbo) until engine switched off and re-started. On X trail I can restore power just by lifting my foot off the gas pedal and accelerating less hard.
Don't know about fault codes-they didn't give me that sort of feedback when I asked dealer to look into problem . Will need to ask them about these when I take it back in.

Not sure from feedback so far if problem is fuel or turbo related.
05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - Paul G1pdc
SCREWLOOSE has already come up with the main problem.
we use one of these x-trails '05 plate with 128k on the clock as a field service car.
in its life from new with the company its gone through 3 intercoolers and 2 turbos.
i had the same issue once when i popped out in the car, it wouldn't accelerate over 20mph. what ever i did with the throttle i had no go...in the end pulled over and switched off and started to dig out the mobile phone to ring the services...started up the engine and back to normal....
after this fault another 1000 bill was paid to the main dealer....
they are apart from this really common issue pretty good.
When you said Screwloose had already come up with the main problem did you mean fuel filter or turbo problems as he mentioned both?. I don't have a problem in normal driving, only when towing loaded caravan, and only when travelling at 60+mph. I don't need to stop engine to restore power, just ease off gas. Is this more likely to be fuel or turbo?
05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - cavman
Hi, did you find the answer to this problem? My friends Xtrail has the same problem when overtaking and towing.
Any info appreciated
Thanks
05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - pop1

hi just wanted to know if you did find out what the problem was as i have got the same thing on an 05 dci

05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - kaypee

Hi. Does anybody have any idea whether the cause of this type of problem has been found? My 2.2 is doing exactly the same thing. After 2 weeks with the dealership still no luck.

05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - scrapmetal

I woud suggest the suction control valve, fits on back of the high pressure pump. Very popular fault.

05 2.2Dci Restricted Power - kaypee

Thanks for the suggestion.

The technician says they've checked it and it's fine.

Any other suggestions?