Car-loving transport minister! - bradgate
Geoff Hoon, the new Secretary of State for Transport, gave an interview to the Torygraph today in which he had some very interesting things to say about cars and motoring...

Hoon said : "I drove 3,500 miles this summer on our family holiday, we drove across 10 countries. I have driven across the United States four times. I love cars, I love being in cars, I think so do most people. I want to help and support those people who have that same kind of enthusiasm for driving that I have."

I almost dropped my cornflakes. A Nulab minister who doesn't hate cars! Let's hope this is the beginning of the end of the persecution of the motorist, but I will believe it when I see it...

Car-loving transport minister! - Harleyman
I have as much confidence in Hoon as Minister for Transport as the average squaddie had in him as Minister of Defence.

Not worth dropping cornflakes for, believe me. Same NuLab, same BS.

Car-loving transport minister! - Victorbox
Hoon will be pushing to get the rolling free road tax restored for all vehicles when they turn 25 then?
Car-loving transport minister! - Pugugly
Probably we'll soon be driving round in Snatch Land Rovers then.

Think about it - remember the words "doctor" and "spin" and re-arrange them - get the picture ?

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2008 at 19:57

Car-loving transport minister! - Baskerville
I don't think being a car lover is incompatible with wanting to regulate car use. As we've seen recently in the financial sector, a lack of regulation spoils the party for everyone. I think we use cars too much, but my preferred holiday is a driving holiday. Mind you, the last time our car needed diesel was the first weekend in September and it still has a quarter tank left. Other than holidays our usage is, by choice, low.

As for the spin doctor issue, what's the alternative? The other lot have made a spin doctor their leader.
Car-loving transport minister! - retgwte
you are watching the dying days of this government

as lord mandy gets first class NHS treatment while the rest of us get sub 3rd world

where the troops in action get rubbish kit while the ministers responsible are still in nice public sector jobs

and where lies are the order of the day

dont believe him
Car-loving transport minister! - Lud
as lord mandy gets first class NHS treatment while the rest of us get sub
3rd world

Can't help wondering if you have ever passed through any of the third world retgwte. That of course includes the United States for those without money, in this context and one or two others.

This miserablist line on the NHS is unpleasant and destructive. It may not be perfect in every way - what is after all? - but it's a lot better than nothing. It's all right to complain when you have a valid complaint, but bad-mouthing this important social service in general terms isn't really cool.
Car-loving transport minister! - NowWheels
Probably we'll soon be driving round in Snatch Land Rovers then.

Travelling in them, PU, but not driving. We'll be in the back on our way to Her Majesty's high-security accommodation centre because some database has screwed up its records of our insurance or our ID cards or whatever the latest wheeze is to criminalise us. :(
Oh No NW - I'm going to hit the Leffe Brun.
yep ive lived in the 3rd world, and the USA, and been to hospital with poor folk in both and seen what happens

you been around the NHS recently? you seen how staggeringly bad it is?

Car-loving transport minister! - Bromptonaut
retgwte,

Staggeringly good IME.

Recent encounter when my son developed appendicitis on a Sunday afernoon in July - four days before we were due to go on holiday to France.

Down to the out of hours Doctor @ 13:30. Thorough and professional examination in a clean modern consulting room. Phone call, letter and 10 mins later we're directed to the District General Hospital where a bed is ready. Painkillers, drip etc sorted in the hour and by mid evening he's in theatre. Home by Tuesday and with a clean and healing wound we were in Calais the following Sunday.

Equally good with the M out Law's Ears, throat, feet and dentistry.

Mental Health is still the cinderella service though. And London may be different as well - mainly a problem with old buildings and inabilty to recruit and retain support staff.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 11/10/2008 at 21:47

Car-loving transport minister! - oldnotbold
"you been around the NHS recently? you seen how staggeringly bad it is?"

Yes, I have. I suffered a nasty burn on my R hand exactly seven days ago. A&E at Oxford treated me fast, appt at 0800 following am at Stoke Mandeville, seen on time by registrar and SHO, who were expecting me, had my notes etc, treated me for 50 mins with no rush, offered tea/coffee etc., appt for Thursday last week, at St M again, same level of timekeeping/care/advice etc.

Can't fault them, and neither could the other patients I met. St M is being re-built right now, to a high standard.

Can't wait to get in the polling booth, mind you, but my experience of the NHS has been superb.

Only complaint is (driving connection coming...) car parking charges, but when you've badly burned two fingers on your dominant hand, paying £2.00 to park is not your biggest worry.

Edited by oldnotbold on 11/10/2008 at 21:46

yep there are pockets of ok service in the nhs

there are also large areas of the country where service is routinely terrible

ive been in the nhs a lot recently with or visiting relatives, i tell u for free they would be better off as poor folk in the states

the dirt

the waits

the bad attitude from the staff

the wait to see a nurse to get on a list to see a surgeon who tells you to go back to GP to go on another wait to see another nurse to see the same surgeon

the beds 2 foot either side from folk dying and screaming in agony

the sheer lack of treatment, folk dying of prostate cancer diagnosed in 2000 having never had an op or radiotherapy, only thing from the nhs being morphine, this is not medicine this is butchery

etc

the nhs is a national disgrace

no chance of this govt getting elected again

Meanwhile back to topicland.
Car-loving transport minister! - Old Navy
The NHS has saved my life twice, will it be staggeringly bad for you if it saves yours?
Well, can't argue without going into inordinate detail. Let's not. Of course shortfall in services or money is often accompanied by personal human devotion and heroism.

All I can say is that when I have needed urgent medical attention from the NHS it has been efficiently provided. On both of these occasions over the last 20 years, skills and equipment have been quickly mobilised that wouldn't have been available without emergency evacuation to a (probably private) establishment in the capital over most of the third world, except in countries where it would have meant leaving altogether to go somewhere where they would be available.

I wouldn't deny that political interference and general human idiocy render the NHS less efficient and more wasteful than it needs to be. But the same could be said about every institution in the country.
Car-loving transport minister! - oldnotbold
I could tell you a true story about life in A&E in a C London hospital many years ago during a long period of Tory govt., when an unqualified TA soldier on attachment had to lead seven stomach washouts one July night, with two student nurses to assist him, because of staff shortages.

If that happened today and got into a tabloid it'd be headline news.
Car-loving transport minister! - DP
I think this government has reached the stage where anything it says will be viewed with suspicion and disbelief. It's hammered motorists with tax hikes for the last 11 years, made us the scapegoat for global issues, pandered to anti-motorist think tanks and "charities", and generally made car ownership a more expensive and unpleasant prospect than it was before they came to power.

If they hired Jeremy Clarkson as transport minister I'd be wondering what their real agenda was.

As for the NHS, yes it's a victim of bloated and clueless management, and has massive financial inefficiencies, but we don't know how lucky we are to be able to see a doctor or go to hospital without worrying if we can afford it. I have to say the way they are looking after my 3yr old daughter currently who has throat and adenoid problems just can't be faulted. Whether this is because of the government or despite them is a different question of course.

Cheers
DP
Car-loving transport minister! - Stuartli
>>you been around the NHS recently? you seen how staggeringly bad it is?>>

During the past 15 years my other half has been in and out of various hospitals, including a number in Scotland and Liverpool - the treatment has always been excellent and, on a number of occasions, brilliant.

As for Hoon being a "car fan", that's unlikely to count for much as the basic philosophy has already been laid down for some time and will not be deviated from whilst New Labour, or even the Tories, are in power.

I've watched said gentleman in current affairs programmes and on rolling news programmes over the years - as skilful a wordsmith as you will ever find as you attempt to nail down as to his real view on any matter arising.

I suggest he would probably have preferred to have gone into Europe.....

Edited by Stuartli on 11/10/2008 at 22:31

Car-loving transport minister! - Kevin
>We'll be in the back on our way to Her Majesty's high-security accommodation centre

Not necessarily a bad thing.

You get TV, playstations, tailored menus and as much hallucinogenic assistance as you need. Days out to go shopping and you can still claim benefits.

It makes me wonder why I'm paying HMG for the privilege of spending 2hrs behind the wheel every day and then doing something called "work" for another 8hrs.

And back to topic:

As far as Hoon's words go, they're just that - words.

Kevin...

Edited by Kevin on 11/10/2008 at 22:08

Car-loving transport minister! - freakybacon
Agree with last post- until Hoon in his latest job does something positive for the motorist(scrap the road tax increases-unlikely as this cash is now needed to rescue the banks from their incompetence) then his words are cheap.
Car-loving transport minister! - nick1975
so what about Theresa Villiers, what's her record?

so what about Theresa Villiers what's her record?

Her record is that she has only ever been in opposition, so has had no chance to break her promises.
>>scrap the road tax increases>>

This has already been strongly mooted from within the Government and, I suspect, will still go ahead.
Scrapping the road tax increases seems unlikely; the govt is so short of cash that like Stuartli, I suspect it will still go ahead.

But I have a hunch that there's a higher chance of it being restructured, perhaps by scaling back the increase on existing cars, but going for a much steeply ramped taxation system on new cars. Something, perhaps like the new Irish structure which clobbers cars over 225g/km with a 2000 euro VED.

That would chime more with the current public mood of resentment at paying out to bail out the banks; let the wealthy bankers pay the big whack of tax, that sort of thing, and leave the person-with-five-year-old Mondeo alone. It would still mean less revenue than planned, but not as much as a complete u-turn. Govt could then say it has listened, and can present the adjustment as both better for the environment and fairer on the less well-off. (Whether anyone would want to believe them is another days' work)

I have no evidence at all for this; it's just a hunch, based onlooking on at their options.

Edited by NowWheels on 12/10/2008 at 01:29

>>the govt is so short of cash that, like Stuartli, I suspect it will still go ahead.>>

You've misread the comment - I suspect that the proposed road tax increases on certain earlier vehicle models WILL be scrapped, as even most politicians have grasped the complete injustice of such a scheme.

Edited by Stuartli on 12/10/2008 at 01:31

Sorry I misread your comment. But my assessment of the likely outcome remains as above. The govt is too desperately short of funds to discard even part of the VED increases on older models without making up for at least some of that revenue from elsewhere, and in the current climate it would be popular to be seen to penalising those who can be labelled as "fat cats".
Car-loving transport minister! - Hector Brocklebank
Personally I think politicians should be ignored at all cost. If it wasn't for the media's obsession we wouldn't have to listen to all the spin and lies.
That sort of thinking has led us to a state of affairs where the public have become disengaged form politics - the very reason why democracy is being undermined - ignore politicians at your peril.
I'll ignore them all I like, I just don't care any more. Can you blame me?
Yes. Just don't whine about politics then - politics effects everything in your life from the time you have to get up to accommodate your early morning commute to the the fact that your energy bills are so high you go to bed early.

Edited by Pugugly on 11/10/2008 at 23:41

Are you a politician per chance?
No, a citizen that has seen freedoms and civil liberties being eroded, and my country dragged into a war through voter apathy. If that makes me a politician then I must be.
Well, well Pugugly. You certainly make a convincing case for having an interest in politics, I may even have been converted! In your opinion, when did the 'rot' set in?
1984 as it happens.
Car-loving transport minister! - Avant
What's all this NHS stuff got to do with Geoff Hoon? Very good news that he loves cars: he may well be hamstrung by Government policy but at least he understands what it's like to be a driver, and can empathise as well as sympathise.

All I know about him is from a friend who works for the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, and he was apparently very good when Minister of Defence - really took an interest in the people there and what they did.

Good luck to him. Re politicians generally I'm with PU, although there is a problem in that most of the highest-calibre people don't choose to go into politics. So if you wonder how X ever got to become an MP, let alone a minister, it may be that the field to choose from wasn't that great.

Edited by Avant on 11/10/2008 at 23:55

"he was apparently very good when Minister of Defence "

Plenty of squaddies would say different.
Car-loving transport minister! - Avant
That's probably true - it's the whole MoD rather than any particular minister I suspect. When they're not losing laptops they're spending money on the wrong things and failing to understand the needs of the troops in the field.

I've done some finance training for one ministry (I'd better not say which) and I think they're all similar - volumes of financial controls but nothing about 'people controls' i.e. recruitment, training and (above all) motivation. With inadequate training and poor morale the financial controls won't work.

I won't go on as this isn't about cars!

Edited by Avant on 12/10/2008 at 00:20

You're right.
Car-loving transport minister! - Hamsafar
If he has watched Nu Labour's jihad against the motorist for over a decade and not so much as a peep out of him in protest, then he is already proven to be another cowardly yellow-bellied left-wing squirt who is only interested in his own sycophantic advance.
Car-loving transport minister! - bradgate
I understand and sympathise with much of the cynicism expressed above. Politicians' words are cheap and their actions do indeed speak louder, but surely Hoon's comments give cause for at least some guarded optimism?

As far as I am aware, no senior Nulab minister has ever said anything remotely comparable to Hoon's comments in support of cars and motoring in their 11 years of government.

If these views are translated into action which reverses at least some of the anti-motoring actions taken by Nulab and prevents any more, we will all benefit.

Hoon's comments should be cautiously welcomed by all of us here.

Car-loving transport minister! - midlifecrisis
"he was apparently very good when Minister of Defence "
Plenty of squaddies would say different.

I can echo that!

He wasn't called BuffHoon for nothing.

Edited by midlifecrisis on 12/10/2008 at 10:03

BuffHoon

I gathered from my grandchildren some time back that 'buff' is a compliment these days although I am not entirely clear what it means.

Shome mishtake shurely? :o}
Car-loving transport minister! - Alby Back
Lud, they're taking the Michael. "Buff" was first used by US airmen to describe Flying Fortresses. It later became used more generally by the youth of the '70s as a general term for their elders. Suffice it to say that the first three letters stand for Big, Ugly and Fat...........

;-)
Nah - 'tis a word I learnt in Youff Court along with "diss" "wicked" "random" or as in "No, but, random she is right buff she is innit" it is a compliment mabye we have a young person here who can confirm.
Well they're just wrong. Buffs = B52s aka big, ugly, fat (......'rs) or generic parent

Today's youth. I despair.........

Humph ( the Buff )

;-)
Either you're all taking the Michael or it's gone right over your head :)

BuffHoon..Buffoon!
I remember the Goon Show - buffoon meant one thing then, then so did many other words.
I'm a young person..so the Goon shoe was before my time :)
Don't start me on shoes......MLC

;-)
What does "random" mean in street parlance then ? If I can risk asking that in a totally unrelated thread please !!

go on, promise I won't do it again.....today. I'd really like to know.

;-)
Random thread maybe......?

From UrbanDictionary.com

Random 1336 up, 625 down love ithate it

The latest buzzword used amongst mindless teenagers as a way of showing just so utterly irreverent their predictable sense of humour is. Particularly dominant among English teens and University students, the word "random" or the act of being "random" is a desperate plea for others to recognise how totally against the grain of the norm you are and that you're really crazy and out there. Trouble is, being "random" is predictable, boring, moronic and extremely sad indeed

and Buff defined:-

buff 675 up, 263 down love ithate it

When someone is looking fine u say they are buff (London ting)

You could do with some random grazing in there Humph my man, buff up your youff lingo skills innit.

Edited by Pugugly on 12/10/2008 at 18:37

Somehow I felt happier not knowing.......

Edit- Um.....wass "grazing" if not to do with the eating habits of herbivores.....??

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 12/10/2008 at 18:45

oh dear - you're not down there with it are you ?
Car-loving transport minister! - Bill Payer
Must admit I hadn't noticed until I saw an article about it today, that Lord Adonis has moved to transport, where he's apparently going to look at "infrastructure issues". There's some surprise about the move as he's never expressed any interest in transport, and he was key in school reforms.
Oh good.