Plastic licences - Hoseman
I have recently reached the age of 70 and I now have my first plastic licence.

My question is "How many backroomers carry their plastic licences together with the paper Counterpart driving licence"? as it is advised that the two parts should be kept together in a safe place.

I look forward to your replies.

Hoseman
Plastic licences - Old Navy
I keep my "driving" documents in a file at home most of the time, having checked that my car is on the insurance database. I have them with me when travelling long distance for more than a few days, in case of a problem requiring a rental car.

Edited by Old Navy on 02/10/2008 at 16:35

Plastic licences - TimOrridge
I colour photocopies of licence (both parts), current MOT and insurance in glove compartment for quick verifications. If they want to see the originals or more I will go to the station, it is not worth carrying the originals sround with you the (good) photo copies will suffice
Plastic licences - redviper
my car documents stay at home filed away (this includes the card and paper counterpart kept together), if the police want to see them, i will gladly take them to my local station on request.
Plastic licences - Alby Back
Good point Old Navy. I travel long distances regularly. Would be a lot easier to hire something if required if I had my licence with me. Normally, I have a photocopy in the car and the original at home. Maybe I'll switch that arrangement.
Plastic licences - FotheringtonThomas
I haven't a plastic one. My paper one is in a safe place at home (somewhere).
Plastic licences - b308
I carry my plastic driving licence with me but not the paper part (unless I'm abroad where its compulsary) - I find that its a very useful form of ID - when getting foreign currency, for instance.
Plastic licences - movilogo
I do the same ie carry plastic one with me and paper part in home

PS: It's a bit weird to have 2 parts on license. Just plastic card should enough (the endorsements can be imprinted on that)
Plastic licences - L'escargot
My photocard licence and paper counterpart are in a safe place at home, and will continue to be so until such time as I am required to produce them somewhere else.
Plastic licences - Bilboman
I don't underestand the question.
I have a RFID chip embedded in my right shoulder. It has driving licence, passport, NHS card, bank card, the lot.
Oops. sorry, woke up too early. Thought this was 2018.
I must have overcharged the batteries on the Roewe last night.
Plastic licences - Chris S
I didn't even realize that my plastic licence came with a paper part - I'd better make sure that I haven't thrown it out!
Plastic licences - PoloGirl
Plastic bit in my wallet, paper bit in my drawer at work from the last time I had a courtesy car and filed it safely there.

As an aside, I thought you weren't supposed to keep your documents (MOT, insurance etc) actually in the car, because it makes life easier for the person who steals it if it gets stolen?
Plastic licences - Bilboman
"I thought you weren't supposed to keep your documents... in the car, because it makes life easier for the person who steals it if it gets stolen." And that will always be the case unless and until either (i) ID cards are made compulsory or (i) all drivers are required to carry photo ID with them (be it licence, passport, ID card) whenever at the wheel of a car.
I find it curious in Britain how most people are (a) vehemently opposed to having to carry ID themselves and yet (b) immediately trusting of what passes off as ID when produced (cheque guarantee cards, household utility bills, credit/debit cards, etc., and let's not forget the gasman, meter reader,etc., whom we regularly let into our homes, usually without even asking to see ID, or even knowing what to expect when it is shown!)
The two occasions I've been stopped by BiBs (in uniform, perfectly normal and legitimate stops in both cases) I have quite politely asked to see the officer's warrant card, on the basis of "you show me yours and I'll show you mine", and have been amazed by the looks of consternation, as if this was something that just isn't done in Britain.
Plastic licences - oldgit
I have recently reached the age of 70 and I now have my first plastic
licence.
My question is "How many backroomers carry their plastic licences together with the paper Counterpart............

I do, despite hearing many stories from other people as to what they consider to be the absolute minimum. I found a neat way to fold the paper component to enclose the plastic licence and tuck it away in my wallet.

Edited by Webmaster on 05/10/2008 at 21:07

Plastic licences - Happy Blue!
Having lost and then found my licence, I now have two sets of paper and cards. The newest set are safely at home. The oldest set are one me: paper in my case and plastic in my wallet. I have never used the paper unless renting a car in the UK. Stupid system anyway.

My wife wanted to rent a car from Enterprise so she took both parts to the depot only to be told that she needed a third form of ID - e.g. utility bill as well. As she was 200 miles from home and neither the website, confirmatory e-mail or phone call mentioned it, the MD got a very stiff letter. Fortunately, I was near home to fax the relevant document through. Idiots!
Plastic licences - Clanger
Plastic bit in my wallet. I am 90% sure I will be able to find it (the wallet) before I go out tomorrow. Not the foggiest where the paper bit is; I'll deal with that when it's an issue.