Price of 407 1.6hdi - is this cheap - audiA6tdi
Looking at buying a nearly new diesel. Just seen this offer from Drive the deal - 407 1.6hdi for £10000 (08 with del miles)
Is this a good offer? Other dealers are advertising 57' plates with 20k on the clock for £13000. Ive looked on autotrader and they are going for around £3500 for 2005 models so they loose value very quickly.

Whats this model like to drive with the 1.6 engine? I do like the 407's - nice drive. Ok the build isnt Lexus but they are pretty cheap and do the job.

Price of 407 1.6hdi - is this cheap - davidh
Well, I fell in love with the 407's looks and I nearly bought one recently. Heres a few of my observations and really, the reasons why I didnt buy one.

I initially drove a new 2.0 HDI and I was very impressed with the refinement and the suppresion of engine noise. The 136 BHP diesel engines performance was a disapointment to me - it didnt seem to have the grunt 236 lbf of torque would suggest - a bit of a pussy cat - I think weight has a something to do with this. The forward visibilty wasnt good, as the styling means the windscreen pillars get in the way and the start of the screen is miles away which, coupled with the front overhang left me wondering where the front bumper was. I think it'd be hard not to knock it against kerbs. Just didnt feel confident with it. Shame really, as the very thing that had my juices flowing about it (styling) was the very thing that in my opinion makes it flawed. Build quality okay when new.

I then drove a 3 year old 45K mile 407 and it felt dreadful. Very loose - the front suspension knocked over small undulations+ripples and the interior trim felt very worn. I couldnt believe how careworn and baggy it felt to drive. Oh, and I think it had a number of flashing errors on the dash. Left me with the feeling that it wasnt a long term bet.

Wouldnt think the 1.6 HDi version would be a barrel of laughs.
Price of 407 1.6hdi - is this cheap - TheOilBurner
I looked at a 407 recently and was surprised how tired it was. Only 2 years old and 15k miles and it looked worse inside and out than some 10 year old cars I've seen around.

Add to that the clutch was too hard and clumsy to use, I ran away very quickly.

Didn't even get as far as starting the engine before I got a very clear idea of what car I didn't want!
Price of 407 1.6hdi - is this cheap - tintin01
I saw those at Drive the Deal too. They sound good value for new, though Motorpoint are doing the 2.0l HDi SE 2007 models with 15k miles for £8,500. I love the shape of the 407 and they seem cracking value second-hand, but the car-by-car rating of HJ isn't too good and I've been put off by all the talk of dodgy electrics and diesel tales of woe. Any 407 owners with newish cars around to comment?
Price of 407 1.6hdi - is this cheap - midlifecrisis
I've got a 407 coupe, which I bought new 18 months ago. Admittedly built on a separate production line to a higher standard (allegedly). It's got electric everything. Not a single problem. No squeaks or rattles whatsoever.

Still love it.