Fend off - Bilboman
Reading a recent (now locked) thread, up popped the question of which is the correct way to position (a) the car and (b) the front wheels when parked behind a broken down vehicle.
It seems that the police tend to angle their car towards the lanes of traffic, with wheels pointing right to shield pedestrians from danger: if the police car is hit from behind, pedestrians are saved but the supposed lesser evil of a multiple pile-up may occur.
Rescue vehicles, however, generally turn wheels inwards, so that in any possible rear end shunt, all vehicles and their kinetic energy go into the crash barrier.
What should I do as a car driver? Votes now for wheels pointing IN / wheels pointing OUT ? Has any research actually been done on this? Is it a trend that will bounce to and fro over the next few years? I remember when a tyre fitter would always fit newer tyres to the front axle, but now it's the rear.
Help!
Fend off - Altea Ego
It depends entirely on the location, area, street furnuture, barriers, embankment etc etc
Fend off - Devolution
I think it just comes down to training of resuce/ES staff and what was regarded the best position at the time.

In addition to my last fend off post I detailed that the fend off position used by many police, and taught to HATOs is to park with the whole vehicle angled to the right, so that maximum visibility is made of side as well as rear reflective markings. The position is such that it also encourages approaching drivers in the inside lane to move over to the middle lane (especially at night or in poor visibilty) as the slightly side on view gives the impression of pulling out, so gives the mental direction to keep clear. In the same thread it was also mentioned (by Westpig I think) that this was favoured also as it protects the most vulnerable users in front of that vehicle in the case of a rear end smash.

However, many drivers, including breakdown drivers have always been told to park as close to the left side of the hard shoulder as possible, with the wheels turned to the left so that in a rear end smash the vehicle is not projected out in to the live lanes.

What one would do in a similar situation depends on the situation. If I broke down I would probably stop far over to the left, wheels turned to the left and hazards on; but then I would stand far away from the vehicle, behind it by a safe distance, or up on the embankment etc.

In a car with *no* reflective markings, the complete angled fend off provides no added protection, especially at night, as only the rear lights will be seen - any passing driver, drifting and rubbernecking is likely to drift towards the shoulder and could clip the wing of an angled car.

Therefore as a member of public car driver I would suggest wheels to the left, car straight and far over as possible, *always* hazards on especially at night (so approaching cars don't think you are in a live lane and "follow" you,) and move you and family to a safe place.

Any breakdown truck/van should then stop at a safe distance from your car where possible.

Any AA/RAC drivers here? Be interesting to hear what their fast road training is for motorways.

Edited by Devolution on 29/09/2008 at 02:40

Fend off - Devolution
In addition to my post above, I found this, from the ACPO National Motorway Manual which may be of some use:

tinyurl.com/4x6v5r

Fend off - Ben 10
Comprehensively described as used by emergency services and correct advice to "Joe Public".

"*always* hazards on especially at night "
Thats okay unless it happens to be an alternator fault.

Also it would be difficult to position correctly without power steering.With no lights , position as far to the left as will allow, even onto the verge, get out and stand as far away as possible. Consider putting on reflective waistcoat as a further safety precaution.
Fend off - L'escargot
What should I do as a car driver?

Don't park close enough to a broken down vehicle for your car to be involved in a possible collision between a moving vehicle and the broken down vehicle. Park so that you and your car are safe.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/09/2008 at 07:10

Fend off - ifithelps
When I did breakdowns on the hard shoulder we were told to pull in behind the broken down vehicle.

The logic being that if you were under the bonnet you didn't get rammed into the back of your own recovery truck.

We tried to work only from each side of broken down vehicle, never standing between the headlights,

If you were leaning over one wing or the other, you might be thrown clear if the car was rammed from behind.

It was only the late 1970s, but a different era motoring-wise.

We used to drag breakdowns back to the garage on the end of a chain.

Love to know what today's motorway cops think of that.