Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - 117
Hi Guys,

Looking for a new diesel exec saloon on a 6k budget. We already own a 1998 GS300 and 1999 328i between us and I am looking at changing my BMW for a car which provides better economy for the 20k a year that I do. I have so far looked at a high mileage 1.9tid saab 9-3 and x type 2.0d, and actually really liked the saab, but could anyone suggest any other equivalents or share any good bad experiences with these sort of cars.

Many Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly on 25/09/2008 at 19:14

Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - TheOilBurner
How about a Volvo S60 D5? With a manual box you'll get within 5mpg or so (no real difference really when you do the sums) of what the Saab 9-3 will do with the 1.9 and have a much more interesting engine under the bonnet. Probably be better equipped in the Volvo too, as the standard specs on the 9-3s aren't that generous.

From my experience, the Fiat derived 1.9 used in the 9-3 and elsewhere isn't always that reliable, especially the 150bhp version. Quite perky though.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - prm72
I'm with Oil Burner on this one, you wont be dissapointed.
I agree that the volvo is an excellent car, and would be keen to have one, although the girlfriend who will be contributing/driving this car a lot hates them for some irrational reason and I have previously owned an s60 2.0t, so dont really want to go there again! Thank you for the suggestion however.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - pd
The Saab is a nice car - handles well in a Saab sort of way, pretty fast and econmical.

However, if looking at high mileage and 7k that should get you a S60 D5 185 SE and, to be honest, you'd have be stark staring mad to choose the Saab instead.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - TheOilBurner
I see your problem. Does it have to be diesel? For that kind of money you should be able to get a 2002 Lexus IS 220 with reasonable miles and decent kit.

Or you could look at the Audi A4 with the much feted (here, at least) 1.9 TDI engine? Probably starship mileage or very old though...

The S60 certainly looks favourable when compared to the rest.

If you do end up with the 9-3 then I don't think you'd be that disappointed though, it's a fine car for the money. Make sure your girlfriend likes driving it though, Mrs Oilburner doesn't like the 9-3 and just can't get on with them for some reason! It has to be said that the 1.9 TiD does sound a bit rough compared to some diesels.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - SuperBuyer
Forget the A4 - get the A6 with the 130 engine, thats more of an executive car... And for 6K you might get a 2003 53 with 'sensible' mileage (circa 100K), but with all the toys on...

If the 150bhp Saab has the same gearbox as the Vectra, I'd start running away now. I had a 2005 54 reg Vectra SRI and got rid in favour of the Golf after 4 months/12K because of the nasty gearbox.

I need a bigger car personally, but can't see past an A6 Avant from a running cost point of view....
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - Collos25
Honda Accord 2.2 diesel executive.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - pd
Wait a couple of months and 6k should get you the newer shape A6 with 100k ish or maybe less.

Mind you, every one I have come across has had its fair share of problems. I am not convinced about the long term life of the 2.0 TDI diesel.
Really looking for a diesel to be honest, ref the lexus is200, we have a gs300 and from what ive heard the is200 is as poor on economy with less performance, really want to be achieving at least 40 mpg to justify a change as both of our current cars do low 20's to the gallon and would prefer something with a good tank range. Audis are tempting, will try and drive an A6 at some point to get a feel for the car. My girlfriend quite likes the 9-3 at the moment, but we are going to try a 2.0d 2005 x type at the weekend so will report back....does anyone have any opinions on the jag?
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - barney100
Personally I would look out for an E Class Diesel which would do the job very nicely. With diesel being somewhere about 50p dearer a litre perhaps a petrol car would be worth considering. I have just recently changed rom a 2.2 diesel to a 3.2 petrol and though I,m spending more on fuel it ain't that much!
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - madf
You can buy a FSH C class Mercedes under 100k miles and immaculate - a CDI diesel does 45mpg.

Indeed you can pay £500 less and still get a great one.. and have change for odd minor things to do.

Provided you look for rust and are utterly intolerant of any with any faults, you cannot go wrong : there are lots for sale with over 200k miles.. so at that price you have a lot of car with a lot of life left.

Sadly you will be lucky to get an estate at that price under 100k miles.

Manuals are cheaper...

E classes are cheaper but much wider.. and more prone to more expensive bills imo...

PS : don't tell anyone cos I will probably buy one mid 2009: prices have dropped a lot in the last 6 months.. lots of choice.

Edited by madf on 26/09/2008 at 17:07

Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - oldtoffee
20,000 miles a year is only just going to put you better off in a diesel. If you're looking for 40 mpg out of a diesel I'd reckon you could look favourably at 35mpg out of a petrol with the 50p a gallon price differential. A couple of years ago, when carless, I was lucky enough to have the use of a BMW 320i and an Audi A4 1.8T, both autos for a few weeks each and both returned low to mid 30's over mixed driving. Lots of these about at sensible money. An exec diesel for 6k is going to have a lot of miles on it and if it goes wrong it will hurt. Believe what you read here and elsewhere and a petrol carries less risk. Of all the diesels recommended so far, I'd second the shout for the A6 130bhp - quality car, great interior, engine a bit thrummy around town but fine on a run with excellent economy.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - Glacier
There's always the older 2.2TiD on the first run of the new 9-3's or the last few years of the old shape.

If I remember rightly it's Isuzu rather than Fiat and built to last.

It sounds like a RouteMaster first thing in the morning but soon quietens down. I have no complaints from mine on the motorway. And in ecomomy mode (60mph on the motorway run) will do more than 50mpg.
Used diesel exec saloon - 6K budget - Ed V
Ah, the Routemaster. Unlike the bendy-bus (which sounds like a 747), which Boris now says is going by 2011.