D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - looking4car
Hi,
My father, in his 70s, has received a D46P Licence Renewal Application.

On the front it states

YOU CAN TAKE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO RENEW THE PHOTO ON YOUR LICENCE

The notes , INF5D, states

A message in the top right hand side of the form will tell you if your photo is due to be renewed

I'm assuming "YOU CAN" means there is no obligation.

Agree ?
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Lud
But there is I believe an obligation to renew the photo periodically. Perhaps it has been noticed that that moment is imminent for yr father. Worth checking, kill two birds with one stone.
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Robin Reliant
The photo has to be renewed every ten years. As Lud says, worth doing if it is nearly due because I think you have to pay a renewal fee.
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Harleyman
it's also a good idea to both make a scanned copy of his licence before he sends it off, and also to check it carefully when it comes back to ensure that they haven't inadvertently taken groups off which they shouldn't have.

This has been known to happen with motorcyclists and HGV drivers; I know your Dad's in his 70's, and probably retired, but there are still quite a few motorcyclists of that age still riding!
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Phil I
Had mine today. Form and explanatory leaflet not v.good examples of clarity and simplicity.

Have written underneath the statement "You can take this opportunity et.et.et."
"No thanks. Picture is still a good likeness"

Perhaps DVLA on commission from photoagencies??

Happy Renewing Photo Card Licence - Phil I

D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - corblimeyguvnar
SWMDBO just got her photo renewal demand (D798) through, £17.50 'Administration Charge' just to send them a new photo, taking the mick.
Anyone know of a get out, any ways of getting a freebie?

Cheers
CBG

D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Pugugly
I did mine online - they "snatched" my photo from the passport agency - no charge.
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - PoloGirl
If you change your address you can change the photo for free I think.
But does this count if its a 10 year renewal?
Have had a better look at the form and I reckon they have us by the short n curlies.
Have I found yet another Stealth Tax.

CBG
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - martint123
It will of course creep to an annual £20 renwal.

(still got my green paper one).
>still got my green paper one).

Wish I had kept mine!!, I'd still have a full moped licence too, it had mysteriously disappeared when the photo card arrived, apparantly no way of getting it back either, without actually taking the test.

CBG
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - Phil I
Posted my renewal form on Monday, replacement (correct in all detail) complete with new flashy holograms arrived this morning at 08.30.

Good service I thought.
The old photo has much better definition now.!!

Happy Motoring Phil I
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - cockle {P}
(still got my green paper one).

>>

So have I, at least until they realise what a good little earner this could become and the Sec of State for Transport invokes the part of the legislation made when they introduced the photo licence that allows him/her to force everyone to have have a photo licence at a time he/she deems necessary.

Still rankles with me that a friend has changed his licence for free on a dozen occasions due to changing address but they want to charge me for upgrading mine once in 30 years! I'll stick with the green paper.
D46P Licence Renewal - new photo required ? - L'escargot
SWMDBO just got her photo renewal demand (D798) through £17.50 'Administration Charge' just to send
them a new photo taking the mick.
Anyone know of a get out any ways of getting a freebie?

DVLA state that they do not make a profit on this. If you don't believe me, ring them yourself.

Edited by L'escargot on 29/09/2008 at 15:16

I believe you Monsieur, I just don't believe them :-)