01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - Adam75
Hi

I have an Astra SXi 1.6 2001 & have just started to get gearbox problems.

Whilst at a junction today I tried to put the car in to 1st gear and could not get it in, I then tried all the gears, pressing the clutch etc but could not get a gear. Then once I pushed the car to the side of the road I tried again and no problems.

About 5 miles later, I got the same problem. I left it in neutral for a few minutes tried again & I was away.

I can put the car in to any gear now but worried this might happen again.

Any ideas what the problem is? I'm thinking it might be either be the linkage or maybe the gear selectors?

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/09/2008 at 22:21

01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - injection doc
Adam75 It may be an idea to see if it crunches if you select reverse? If it does it would suggest you have a clutch problem.
If it doesn't crunch or grind when selecting reverse it would be a good idea to get the gear linkage checked & the oil level in the gear box.
Its possible the clutch had overheated & if the resin's had started to melt the clutch becomes sticky & can cause the problem you discribe.
i Doc
01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - Adam75
Thanks idoc.

I've put the car in to reverse when the engine is on & off and got no crunching/grinding. I've not had the problem again & I've done about 60 miles since.

If the problem happens again I'll put it in reverse to see if there is any crunching.
Thanks
Adam
01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - topbloke
if and when it happens again turn the engine off and try selecting gears if it go's in then it aint a gear selector issue, may be worth checking the brake/clutch fluid, is the level low, has it ever been changed, this model should have a concentric clutch slave cylinder may be worth a bleed, possible moisture in the fluid boiling off when clutch hot then returning when cooler do you sit in traffic with your foot on the clutch or do you select nutural and apply the hand brake (not a critic just try to help)
01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Gear selector linkage problem is a common fault on smaller Vauxhalls being a cheaply made, badly engineered device. They have modified it slightly but its a pain to fit unless you have a lift.
01 1.6 SXi gear selecting problems - jase666
Hi there, 2000 reg astra 1600 sxi owner. I'm having exactly the problem you are describing!
for 6 months or so now, sometimes it drives perfect with smooth gear changeother times is really bad! sitting in traffic is guaranteed to start it off, all gears are hard to select especially low gears. also near impossible to deselect and cant get reverse at all just horrible crunching when you try. the clutch pedal also feels a bit loose at this point. in the end the clutch stops working and if you dont turn engine off will stall. when i turn off an wait a couple of minutes turn it back on it is then sometimes fine!! fluid level is fine with no sign of leak. Appreciate any help, thanx!