Ford Fusion (USA) - mini road test - David Horn
Had the pleasure of hiring a two month old Ford Fusion for a short road trip in Arizona. They're very cheap at Hertz (I got mine for approximately $30/day).

Spec:

3.0L 221HP V6
6 speed automatic gearbox
Sports pack
Climate control
Cruise control etc.
Microsoft Sync with Sirius Satellite Radio

I think the Fusion is a USA specific car, but it's broadly equivalent in size to the Mondeo. Cabin is roomy and comfortable with enough cubbyholes and sufficient buttons to keep most people entertained.

Ride comfort is exceptional with no engine noise at cruising speeds and minimal impact from poor surfaces. The only time it was sketchy was when I did 70mph down a gravelled line on the motorway, for some reason they like to dig the road up but leave the lane open.

The V6 coupled with the 6-speed autobox is excellent. Goes like the proverbial off a shovel but is grunty enough at low revs to keep the speed up on hills without dropping a gear. Even when it does, the close ratios mean you don't get the jerk my Honda gives me. Would go back to it over a diesel if fuel costs weren't an issue, and I never thought I'd hear myself say that.

Economy was surprising given I wasn't driving lightly, with 32mpg (imperial) overall, and that was about 60% freeway at 75mph, 30% singletrack road, and 10% town driving. Especially considering I climbed 7000ft on the motorway before dropping back down via the scenic roads. Easily bearable with petrol $3.47/gallon.

Handling is fine, didn't push it far anyway. Stuck to the road nicely.

The Microsoft Sync technology is very impressive. There's a USB socket in the glovebox which you plug your iPod or memory stick into, and then everything is done via voice control - "Play track Sweet Home Alabama" etc. She's a bit petulant if you don't label your music properly, but there were no issues with the pronunciation of artist or song titles, and she fell for my British accent. :-)

The only issue was with the interior lights. They appeared to be stuck on permanently, but it turns out that rolling the dash lights switch to maximum brightness switches on the interior lights too. No idea why.

Shame they don't make these cars in England, as I particularly enjoyed driving it. Thumbs up from me.
Ford Fusion (USA) - mini road test - henry k
>>The only issue was with the interior lights.
They appeared to be stuck on permanently, but it turns out that rolling the dash lights switch to maximum brightness switches on the interior lights too.
No idea why.

>>
In my experience this has been a standard feature of USA cars for decades.
It is one of the key things I tell friends about. How to turn on the interior light to read a map witthout compromising security ( by opening the "locked"doors).

The other is the concierge key that only operateds the ignition and the passenger doors. Hence both the boot & filler cap releases are often in the (locked) glove box.
Ford Fusion (USA) - mini road test - NowWheels
They're very cheap at Hertz (I got mine for approximately $30/day).

Cheap to buy too. Yahoo says an MSRP of $23,340 for a 2009 Ford Fusion V6 SEL, which is £13,042. That'd be £15,300 inc VAT, which is about the same list price as the basic Mondeo.

No wonder Ford USA loses money
Ford Fusion (USA) - mini road test - Bill Payer
No wonder Ford USA loses money

Does the manufacturing arm lose money making cars? I really don't know, but many people would be surprised how little it costs to make a car. It's the cost of providing pension and healthcare benefits that is hurting the big auto makers.

The real cost of Fusion is lower than stated - the range starts at $18K and there's curently $2500 cashback available. Most new cars are available in the US for thousands of dollars under list, or for personal lease prices that seem insane to Brits. With about $4000 up front payment you can lease a 328i BMW for $299/mth so something like a Ford Fusion is probably less than $200/mth.

Edited by Bill Payer on 14/09/2008 at 11:46