01 1.0 NATS alarm system: switching it off - mikem004
Just bought a 2001 Micra Activ. This is a special edition that has central locking, air con and NATS alarm system. Unfortunately, there is no user manual with the car.
A couple of questions.:
1) When the car is switched off and locked up, there is a red light flashing every 3 seconds, to the left of the Air Con switch. Is this the alarm? Won't the flashing light drain the battery eventually?
2) I am not a fan of alarm systems and don't need to use one. If I use normal manual key lock entry, is the alarm system not activated? If not, how do I switch NATS off?
3) Compared to my previous car, a 1995 Micra, this one has a really heavy/stiff accelerator. Is this normal for the model, or a symptom of something I need to fix.
4) When switching on first thing in the morning, the oil warning & battery warning lights come on. They immediately go out after statring up the engine. Anything to worry about.
Thanks
Mike

01 1.0 NATS alarm system: switching it off - Dynamic Dave
Won't the flashing light drain the battery eventually?

Nope. Its more than likely an LED which has very little current drain.
how do I switch NATS off?

If it's got an alarm and immobiliser then it will be classed as having a Thatcham cat 1 approved security system. To remove or disable the alarm *may* well alter your insurance costs as part of the policy is calculated around it having a Cat1 system.
4) When switching on first thing in the morning the oil warning & battery warning
lights come on. They immediately go out after statring up the engine. Anything to worry about.

Again no. They come on as check lights to verify the bulbs are working, and go straight out once the engine is running if nothing is wrong with the charging system or oil pressure. Did your 1995 model not have these lights then?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/09/2008 at 20:33

01 1.0 NATS alarm system: switching it off - mikem004
>Again no. They come on as check lights to verify the bulbs are working, and go straight out once the engine is running if nothing is wrong with the charging system or oil pressure. Did your 1995 model not have these lights then?<
The oil light always used to come on, but not the battery light. The battery light started to come on first thing in the morning, I ignored it and a few months later it turned out the alternator was knackered and not charging up the battery.

Any ideas on the stiff/heavy accelerator. The 95 Micra had a light accelerator.

Just the normal new car paranoid problems...after a couple of weeks I will get accustomed to the new cars creaks and groans.
Mike