1999 2.0 Checking Oil Levels - HLyon
I've always believed that the best time to check my oil level was before going out in the car, that way the oil has all drained into the sump and the reading will be accurate.

I checked it recently one morning and it was a bit low, I drove to work and then checked it again before taking it out at lunch and it was full although the oil on the stick at lunch looked thinner than the oil from the morning.

So, when is it best to check it?

Actually the car's been burning oil in the mornings but I think that's a valve stem seal problem as it's got 115k on the clock.
As an experiment, I let the oil run down until it was on the low mark when cold.

At lunchtime it was higher than the low mark by a fair bit, I put a pint of oil in which brought it up to full, measured it this morning cold and it's only halfway.

So it's a pint difference based on whether I measure it warm or cold. But it that a hot pint or cold pint?
1999 2.0 Checking Oil Levels - Number_Cruncher
It's important to make sure the car is sitting absolutely level when you check. Even seemingly small slopes will make a difference in the level you see on the dipstick.

1999 2.0 Checking Oil Levels - Armitage Shanks {p}
What does the handbook say, no sarcasm intended! Mine says on the level, engine warm and 5 minutes after a journey. At least if you do it this way, or whatever is suggested, you are comparing like with like. One measurement cold after standing all night and maybe on a slope, is never going to come up with the same answer as measuring in motorway service area at the end of a 3 hour run, for example.
I just checked the hand book, mine says the same as yours.

I've been topping it up to full when cold, so I've been overfilling it, suspect that might have added to my oil burning in the mornings.