2002 1.6 Full Beam issue, now disabled on car - redviper
Hi All

A couple of months ago I posted a problem with my 52 reg Astra, regarding the full beam behaving erratically.
Over the summer months, this kind of rectified itself working properly 99% of the time, and as money is a bit tight at the moment, I foolishly promised myself I would look into getting it fixed nearer winter were I use lights a lot more.
Irrespective of this I have not neglected servicing the car at Vauxhall (£400) later.

For more info please see my other post here (also apologies for not ?closing? that post with a resolution)
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=60...0

However the other day, after a lot of rain (don?t know if its irrelivent) I flashed out a bus to allow it to pull out in front of me, only when I flashed it out the full beam (flash) didn?t go off I pulled over and tried ever combination of ?stalk wiggling? I could think of, however not even pulling out the key would disable it.

As I was on a busy main road while it was raining I could not really get out of the car and start messing about with fuses, so I had to drive through the town with full beam on (much to the annoyance of other drivers) until I got to SWMBO?s house where I could then have a look at what do to.
Removing the fuse box cover only found the fuse pattern to be numbered requiring the manual to correspond to the fuses, which I did not have in my car.
So starting at the top, the best thing I could do is remove the 5&10amp fuses one by one in a trial and error experiment to stop the battery going flat on me.
Found one that disabled one, however the right hand side, remained on, I had to (again foolishly, but I was desperate) pop the bonnet and physically disconnect the wiring to the bulb) to stop flattening the battery.
The car and all its electrical things (apart from full beam of course) work fine, I subsequently went home and found the correct fuse for the right hand side light (after I thought I went through all the fuses).

I am about to book the car into my regular indie garage, however just wondering what it could have been, as per prev posts it might be the stalk its self, its worth noting that when it did operate ?properly? that sometimes only one bulb would come on.

Sorry to waffle just trying to paint a better picture.

Thanks - Ste

Edited by Webmaster on 09/09/2008 at 14:27

2002 1.6 Full Beam issue, now disabled on car - redviper
Hi - Just if anyone is interested

Was just looking through some of my old posts, and I came accross this, I didnt "close" it by stating the outcome - so it would help someone else

Anyways a couple of days after i took the fuse out for the full beam the car worked fine, , then after for some reason everytihg else stopped working, (wipers would not wipe (even on wash/wipe I had sopy water all over the windscreen LOL) no indicators, heater fan, heated screen etc, elec windows and the keys in ignition buzzer was on all the time (even with engine running) had to take it to my local indie to have a look at, and it was a relay that had burnt out (£4.96 Cost replacement) and now all is well

Although i could not tell you which one it was, or where it is but thats what caused it

:-)

Thanks