£10k - suggestions - Paul Cassell
I have finally saved £10k to go on a car. The car has to be lower than insurance 12-13, but other than that it can be anything, so long as it has a bit of prestige, reliable and is fairly new - may want to keep it for a long time. I have no practicality issues so suggestions are there? Are the new Celicas down to this level yet, or what else is suggested? If it held its value I would be happy too. As well as the Celica, I am also thinking of maybe a 3-series, A3, 9-3, Astra Coupe, etc.
Any suggestions would be welcome......
Re: £10k - suggestions - phil garner
For 10k you can get a mint Porsche 944 S2 (or turbo, but S2 less likely to be thrashed) from '91 with a full dealer history. S2 has a 200hp ish 3litre inline 4 which is a joy to behold.

Should hold its value too.

Practical, insanely fast, one of the best handling cars of recent times, all the toys + bullet proof reliability.

Insurance isn't too bad, although not 12-13. I am 21 and with an immobiliser quotes come in at £1200 ish. Insurance is a small price to pay for driving such a wicked motor. Heads will roll...
Re: £10k - suggestions - John Slaughter
Good god, who's your insurer???? I was recently quoted more than with our 18year old daughter on our 1.2 Corsa! They wouldn't even quote for our Vectra SRi last year.

No, I didn't pay that much, but the best quote was £475 up from £380 last year and talking around to friends in similar circumstances suggests this is typical. Frankly the immobiliser makes little difference - it's the third party claims that cost the money. Paul certainly needs to check insurance quotes before buying (and don't believe what the dealer says, they are trying to sell cars). £1200 for a Porsche sounds ridiculously cheap to me.

Cheers

John
Re: £10k - suggestions - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Paul,

Nobody wants the Backroom to turn into a used car lot, but if you would like to
E-mail me at "adamgoing@tune-up.freeserve.co.uk" I will send you details of something I have on my own driveway at this very moment. No obligations, of course. But it would leave you your insurance premium and a reasonable holiday out of £10K.

Hope to hear from you,

Regards, Adam
My Golf! - Guy Lacey
You can have my 1991 H Golf GTI complete with LPG conversion for £9950 or some dodgy MkIV import Golf for about twenty quid I think (See earlier thread).
insurance - phil garner
It is reasonable for me because I have had a licence for 4 years and have 3 years no claims.

Having said that, you just have to put the time in and shop around for yound drivers. When I was 17 I had my own insurance on my 1.6 Golf CL ('87) and it was £900 TPFT. Then the next year with endsleigh was £490 and I have just renewed it today for £375 (tpo) including my Girlfriend and Ma & Pa.

I also have a '72 Porsche 911E. Today I was quoted £1100 for that with limited miles and 3 years no claims. All I need now is £1100!

For quote directline isn't bad, I check them all the time on line (www.directline.com/insurance) this gives you a rough idea of what you can expect to pay.

More suggestions for nice wheels under 10k:

VW Corrado VR6 (insurance will be high though)
BMW 3 series E36 have fallen in price big style
Audi Coupe (10k should by a nice example, lots of class)

Steer clear of A3's, not that great and overpriced, used values too high. Get a Golf instead. Astra Coupe will lose value too quick.

One last tip. If you want reliable and something that keeps its value, buy over 3 years old and German.
Re: insurance - John Slaughter
Yes, I guessed it must be limited mileage and possibly classic insurance, but it does sound damn cheap. I'm no stranger to ringing round for insurance quotes, believe me. Never found Direct Line any good though.

Cheers

John
Re: insurance - Andrew Hamilton
I tried looking at online insurance and liked the budget site. Cannot stand the TV advertising. It came up with Fortis Comprehensive protected 60% no claims bonus anydriver at £180. I am 53 and is was a Metro 1.3L auto!
Re: insurance - Brian
Strange how some TV adverts make you vow never to buy anything from that company again!
Another problem is the twits who design roadside adverts which have the name of the product so small that for the fraction of a second that you can look at it whilst driving past it is impossible to tell what they are selling. e. g. current Irish Airlines. I wonder how many accidents happen whilst drivers look, and look, and look for the product name?
Re: £10k - suggestions - Robin Tucker
But a Used Car guide for £3, flip through & see what takes your fancy!
I would go for a 3 Series though!