Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - ValiantSaint
Hi everyone. I started a thread on here the other day about trying to find a good supermini for under £7000. Well as I stated in that thread, I have been offered a 58 Reg (brand new) 3 door Fiesta 1.25 Style Climate for £7195 OTR.

Is this a good deal? Are they any good? I had one as a loan car a while back, and I loved it, but it was very thirsty (it had only done 3000 miles though.....) Is this normal for a Duratec-powered car? I do a lot of town driving as well :(

Many thanks :)

Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - cheddar
Sounds like a great deal, fun drive, crisp engine. aircon.
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - rtj70
Probably offered good deal as the replacement is out. And is apparently a very good car. A little bigger than the old model but lighter.
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - Blue {P}
I had one and loved it.

They aren't the most fuel efficient small cars, but I used to give mine quite a lot of stick so that's hardly surprising, they should be a lot better if driven more gently.

I'd go for it, a lot of car for the money.

Thanks for all your kind words. So would you all say that the Duratec engine is a good one?
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - mlj
Pretty sure it's the same engine as in SWMBO's Mazda 2. Four years old now, almost all city driving and hasn't put a foot wrong. Recommended.
Well I'm taking everyone's advice and I'm putting in an order for a Colorado Red 3 door. Wish me luck :)
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - oldgit
Well, if you must buy a Fiesta then I suppose it makes sense to buy the current shape rather than its replacement, which, in my view looks hideous, especially that awful interior and fascia which apparently mimics the look of a mobile phone.

Personally, I think that there are better superminis out there or at least ones that are less agricultural in feel etc.

Sorry, I may have misread your post. Are you saying that you want the new shape Fiesta?

Edited by oldgit on 07/09/2008 at 12:20

Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - cheddar
Hmm the 1.25 Yamaha designed engine is one of the crispest and smoothest 4 cyl car engines and certainly cannot be described as agricultural.
Well after getting hold of the dealer, it seems that the Colorado Red Fiesta has been sold. I am now stuck with one in Blazer Blue (the last one they have in stock) I do however get a Sony head unit in this one for free!
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - pmh2
I agree about the Yamaha 1.25 , but is this used in the Mk5/6 Fiesta? I thought the 1.25 Duratec engine was a revision on one of the older ford engines?

There is a a lot of confusion of the use of 'Zetec', I think that originally it referred to the Yamaha 16v engine, but was subsequently used as a 'branding label'.

pmh2
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - oldgit
I agree about the Yamaha 1.25 but is this used in the Mk5/6 Fiesta? I

Yes, we DID own a MK 4 Fiesta with the 1.25 Yamaha engine and that was infinitely better and smoother than the Duratec 1.4 petrol engine.
It is not only the engine which can make a car 'agricultural' but things like the car's suspension and interior quality and feel - I wasn't referring to the engine in my original post!

With these points in mind, I still think that the current MK 5 Fiesta is crude in a lot of areas, no matter how good it corners etc - these things aren't always the major consideration when buying a car as one need comfort, quietness and smooth delivery of power.
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - scouseford
"There is a a lot of confusion of the use of 'Zetec', I think that originally it referred to the Yamaha 16v engine, but was subsequently used as a 'branding label'."

Surely 'Zetec' is a Ford trim level isn't it?'
Is the Mk6 Fiesta worth buying? - pmh2
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zetec

This will explain the confusion. It is now used as a trim level, but the history is somewhat different.

The Yamaha engine was known as Zetec SE, before the use of the trim name. What I had not realised was that Zetec was used as early as 1992 as an engine range name.

pmh2