alternative oil for long life servicing - jimbano
Hi,

I own an Audi A4 1.9tdi (90), 2000my, which is on the audi long life servicing schedule.
Can anybody tell me of an alternative oil to CASTROL EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40,which is the manufacturer recommended oil?
At the dealer prices, it would cost more for the oil than it would for the service kit that i need.
Alternatively, i could just take the car off the long life servicing plan and just use an oil suitable for the job?
Any suggestions please

Thanks
alternative oil for long life servicing - oldtoffee
IMO I'd take the car off long life and switch to 10k servicing. Millers VAG approved XFE PD oil is £17.95 for 5 litres at my local auto factors.
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply..

I think given the age of the car, it would'nt matter too much to take the car off long life servicing, as long as a good quality oil is used albeit, a bit more frequently, i.e- every 10k mls.

Thanks again
alternative oil for long life servicing - Bill Payer
If you have access to Costco you can get Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel (I've seen it mused that they're the same oil anyway) for £23.50 inc VAT for 4L. Viscosity will be 0w40.

Unless you're doing huge mainly motorway, mileage, I'd go along with the advice to change more often though.
alternative oil for long life servicing - nortones2
I don't think the manufacturer recommends one particular oil. VAG stipulate their own standards: if the vehicle has a PD engine, it needed VW norm 505.01 (10,000 m or annual change) or 506.01 (variable intervals) or latterly a 507.00 oil. Mobil make oils to those standards but Mobil 1 is not "approved" by VAG for the PD engine. RTFM.
alternative oil for long life servicing - Screwloose

Is this the PD engine; both types were used in 2000?

If it's a PD then you MUST use one of the PD oils - nothing else will do - unless you like rebuilding heads.
alternative oil for long life servicing - Hamsafar
I'm buying Delphi 507.00 £24.95 for 5 litres from the motor factor. I think this is Castrol as it is made in Belgium and so is Castrol Edge and Syntec.

Costco used to sell Castrol Edge cheaply, but seemed to have stopped.
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies so far..

The engine code is AHU, which i think is NOT a pd engine, but up to now at servicing and in between top up's I have only used the correct castrol long life oil as specified by audi.

Hope this helps

Thanks
alternative oil for long life servicing - Screwloose

That's correct; an AHU isn't a PD engine.

Change to fixed servicing by resetting the service indicator with the dash buttons and use any oil that meets the relevant VAG standard.

>>
any oil that meets the relevant VAG standard.

Which oil would you recommend Screwloose?

Thanks all for your help
alternative oil for long life servicing - brum
I would question your dealer servicing competence.

CASTROL EDGE TURBO DIESEL 5W-40 is not a suitable oil for VW long life extended servicing.
The Castrol datasheet actually warns against using it as such. This oil is a PD specific oil, also sold at vw dealers as Quantum PD and is not really intended for the non-PD AHU engine.

I'm not sure that the AHU is even suitable for a longife regime.

Having said all that, my experience is that the AHU is a tough bulletproof engine and it will probably run on any decent oil, which is more than can be said about later PD engines.

Edited by brum on 05/09/2008 at 02:38

Why does everything oil related have to be such a can of worms? :-)

I have a Merc and people on the Merc forums get very exercised about oil. However look in the handbook and you can use just about anything.

Edited by Bill Payer on 05/09/2008 at 09:42

alternative oil for long life servicing - Number_Cruncher
>>Why does everything oil related have to be such a can of worms? :-)

I agree, in the main, it's so simple. You simply look in your car's manual, and follow the guidance there.

In fairness to those with VW engines, especially PD, VAG do seem to have gone out of their way to make it complicated. The PD engines are one of the few engines which do need special oil.

The PD engines are one of the few engines which do need special oil.

Is the oil actually "special", or is it the same as other similarly rated oils but with a "special" number stamped on the can (like the MB and BMW approved oils)?

I do know that VW approved oil has a chemical marker so VW can check the correct oil has been used - is that essentially what people are paying for?
Bit like being forced to used a main dealer for servicing just in case something goes wrong. OK, legally you don't have to, but there's always an undertone that life will get messy if you don't use the dealer.
alternative oil for long life servicing - Number_Cruncher
>>Is the oil actually "special"

Yes!, there have been many cases of people not using the PD specific oil and paying the price by encountering ruinous and expensive wear of the cam and followers.

Although I do tend to rabbit on about lubrication based engine damage being very rare, the PD engine run without PD specific oil is an obvious exception.

The real issue with these engines is that even some VW garages have been known to mix up the oil specs, many independent garages don't realise they need special oil, and I suspect most owners don't really know about it either.

There are some other little annoyances with modern diesel cars - those with a DPF will need to use a low ash oil, in MB speak, for a modern CDi a 229.51 oil instead of a 229.5, or else the DPF will become clogged with ash.

Yes!

OK, thanks.
MB speak for a modern CDi a 229.51 oil instead of a 229.5 or else the DPF will become clogged..

There are certainly many tales on the MB forums of dealers not using the correct oil. AMG cars need something different too, but the dealers bung the same oil in everything. When challanged, the general response is the dealer (even at Service Manager level) appears to know nothing about the various oil specs.
alternative oil for long life servicing - b308
I'm not sure that the AHU is even suitable for a longife regime.

I must admit I was surprised at that as well, my understanding is that only the PD engines had the long service intervals, and I'm not even sure they started it as far back as 2000, thought it was nearer 2003/4?

Edited by b308 on 05/09/2008 at 10:18

alternative oil for long life servicing - Hamsafar
Mine is a 2001 Non-PD and was supplied on Long Life regime and has that built into the electronics, but I don't know when the breakpoint was. I agree with other posters about switching to fixed intervals and using a 505.00 oil.
Hi,

Thanks again for all the replies.. Only problem now is that i'm even more confused than i was before.. Ha-ha

I will put the car onto fixed service intervals and just use a suitable oil as required.

Thanks