Odd tyres all round. - lordwoody
Just need a question answering, my daughter has just bought a 2nd hand 206 (with a new MOT) that has a different tyre on each wheel. My father says this is wrong and the tyres need to be changed to paired ones, I don't think he's right, who's correct, me or him?
Odd tyres all round. - moonshine {P}

They should be the same size for each axle pair.

In what way are they different?
Odd tyres all round. - *Gongfarmer*
As long as they are the same size (not including the speed /load rating e.g.88H) they will pass an MOT. Does he mean the tread pattens differ? although it's something I wouldn't like to see on my own car (I like to have at least a matched pair on each Axle) it's still legal.
It doesn't suggest a very caring prevous owner IMHO.

Edited by *Gongfarmer* on 04/09/2008 at 15:18

Odd tyres all round. - Mapmaker
They should also not be a mix of cross-ply and radial on an axle.

But if they are all different makes, so what. It probably indicates that the previous owner of the car wasn't over-generous on his spending on the car.
Odd tyres all round. - *Gongfarmer*
Can you still buy Cross Plies for mainstream vehicles? I thought they were only sought after by the Classic car guys?
Odd tyres all round. - Lud
Legally they have to be the same size and of the same construction (e.g. steel-braced radial) if on the same axle. But owing to differences in rubber compound, tread pattern and manufacturing processes tyres of similar specification can perform differently.

So it is commonsense really to have tyres that are paired on each axle as well as being compatible with each other in general: same make and same degree of wear.

It may be thought that a lady driver will just trundle around well within the car's roadholding limits so differences between tyres won't matter. Usually they won't. But even young lady drivers encounter emergencies, and when that happens symmetrical behaviour by the car may save money or limb or life.
Odd tyres all round. - lordwoody
Sorry, I wasn't clear, no, right size, just different tread patterns.
Odd tyres all round. - FotheringtonThomas
I wouldn't worry about it, as long as they're legal.
Odd tyres all round. - Lud
I wouldn't worry about it if I was going to drive the car. But I might if my daughter was (although I have to say that neither of my driving daughters is particularly kind to cars, and one is a serious car abuser).
Odd tyres all round. - jc2
In many cases you can't get the same tread pattern even on the same make/size of tyre.Tread designs move on.
Odd tyres all round. - FotheringtonThomas
The road surface itself is not uniform, either.
Odd tyres all round. - jase1
This is all very well in an ideal world, but in practice how many used cars do you see with four tyres, all the same?

Very small minority in my experience.

I always change in pairs on the same axle, regardless of tread depth. But if you just go along with what the mechanic says, and he's one of the honest types who tries to keep your bills as low as possible, tyres inevitably get changed one at a time.

Generally all four will be cheaper tyres as well.