05 2.0 Clutch replacement - Hamsterwheel
My X-Trail SVE is about 6 weeks out of warranty and has done about 48,000 miles. At a recent service (unfortunately after the warranty had expired) I was told the clutch and flywheel needed replacing. Querying this, as I do not ride the clutch, tow heavy vehicles or drive like Michael Shumacher, I was told that it is the design of the clutch that is at fault (some technical jargon about springs that I didn't understand).

Also, the intercooler is about to fail and needs replacing. The dealer is not charging full price for the part and is not charging me labour on it, but the whole shebang is costing about £1700 in total.

How is it that Nissan has not issued a recall on its cars as the intercooler seems to be a general problem; and surely a clutch on a manul transmission car should last longer than 48,000 miles? If the design is the problem, why use this design?

I feel pretty let down by this. Anyone else has the same problem?
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - planetf1
Interesting. We've just had our X-trail clutch go today. 38k miles, just under 4 years, dealer serviced etc.

Car suddenly lost drive. No warning, no smell/smoke/warning/slipping. Had to be transported to dealer.

Diagnosis - clutch failed. Was also noted there is oil leak in intercooler (unrelated).

Been on the phone to Nissan customer service to discuss - they're going to discuss with garage and get back to us. Apparently there is a known issue with the turbo that (if it's the same problem) may be covered, but I'm hoping they'll consider the clutch failure positively.

Dealer only knew of 1 or 2 x-trail clutches done since launch.

-- nigel.
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - Porl
don't know if anyone is keeping up with this thread but my 05 Sport (exactly 50k miles but about 5 months out of warranty) clutch failed completely, no warning, no drive, and had to be towed in for a new clutch in October 08. Since then it judders when pulling away - now my local dealer has gone bust so I am trying to get it repaired at another dealers who thinks that they need to change the flywheel now.

I'm getting cheesed off with nissan because they are saying this is rare etc but I have a feeling a known fault is in here. I have been in touch with nissan who are holding me at arms length (and I have the MD's email) so if anyone feels we could do with backup please post!

05 2.0 Clutch replacement - xtrailman
I keep in touch with all the common and uncommon problems with the xtrail.
On this forum and the yahoo. At no time have i read of a clutch problem?

So i dont think its a common failure. But the milage is too low for a clutch failure IMO.

The intercooler is a common problem. I was lucky, mine was replaced with a new design, during the first year. It had not failed at 30k when i passed it on to my son.
If your intercooler is of the old design, it usually weeps oil on the LHS front underthe unit, put your hand under you cant miss it.

How can they tell its failed?
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - Lerxst
Think I must have joined the 40K clutch failure club looking at the postings. My X-Trail is a 2.2 Dci SVE.
As you mention, my garage stated that they had only known of 1 or 2 clutches go and no gearboxes. Same dealer or company spiel?
Still experiencing intermittant gear change issues with 3rd. Dealer now say I have to let the clutch bed in!
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - davecuk
I stated in another thread about inventions we didn't ask for on cars during the last 10 years or so and the hated dual mass flywheel is one of them. There seemed to be a lot of people very keen on them surprisingly.....however, you guys are probably not so keen on them ;-)

It's probably these dual mass flywheels causing all the problems, not the clutches per se....they are a stupid design and a problem waiting to happen..
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - nissanxtrail
I am a 65 year old pensioner and purchased my X Trail with my retrenchment package at the end of 2004.
At exactly 470 Km. outside the warranty, my clutch has packed up and I am told it is going to cost me somewhere in the region of R22,000-00 (Au$3438-00) which is almost 4 times my monthly pension.
I had hoped I was doing the right thing when I took delivery of the vehicle, expecting it to out last me.
I am just relieved that I am not the only person who has had this problem.
My vehicle was regularly serviced by the agents and was not subjected to any towing except for a small trailer once a year when we went on holiday.
Less than ,01% of the milage was done on dirt roads, so I am devastated.
JCN.
05 2.0 Clutch replacement - KizzyH

I joined the XTrail clutch and flywheel replacement club about the same time as you guys (2009ish). $2500(AU) later........not happy!