01 2.2 constant engine rattle - Taylor199
Hi my wifes car has suddenly developed a noisey engine rattle.

The engine is a 2.2 Turbo Diesel DOHC 16V (YD22DDTi)

I think the noise is coming from the vacuum pump on the right hand side of the cyl. head.

My Nissan Dealer has quoted me £615 for this pump alone, no joke! I can get a 2nd hand engine for £750 on ebay.

Has anyone had a similar problem and managed to get away with just replacing the cam sprocket and chain. I haven't taken the rocker cover off or anything yet to investigate.

I can't even find a haynes type manual for this engine type.

Any input will be welcomed
Many Thanks
Nik

Edited by Pugugly on 31/08/2008 at 23:42

01 2.2 Constant Engine Rattle - zookeeper
i cant see "just" changing the cam sprocket and chain making any difference to a vacuum pump ?
01 2.2 Constant Engine Rattle - Taylor199
Took the rocker cover off tonight... found the teeth on the vac pump sprocket/gear have rounded off, guess the chain has stretched.... the cam sprocket looks good as new.

Tried removing the gear off the pump with some bearing pullers, couldn't budge it with mine so gonna give it to a mate in an engineering shop to press out. Hopefully i can get a gear off the shelf to refit. Might tig weld the gear back on the shaft to save damaging the aluminium casing of the pump...

See how it goes, anything to avoid paying 600 quid!!!

Nik
01 2.2 Constant Engine Rattle - DERBOY
Hi There,

I know this thread is very old. I've just found out the cost of fixing my vacuum pump! How did the vacuum pump fix go on your car?

Cheers