Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Theo_Pental

Hi

Im looking to buy a big obnoxious SUV :)
And Im keen to compare notes with anyone else out there
(Although its possible no-one else is buying LOL)

Its a private purchase and thus must represent good value
Hence Im looking at a 6 month old vehicle
There are some bargains to be had and others which are just stupidly priced

My experience is as follows so far:

Audi Q7 - Possibly my top choice
My local dealer group are not selling any new, they have just cancelled their demo as there is no demand
They have a forecourt of S/H ones most at full sticker price, the most recent ones are even marked over what I can buy a new one at through a broker
Even so they will not entertain talk of a discount - Id imagine selling none new and having 12 that I can count on the yard may soon change this

Disco3 - another contender
Top spec HSE 45k list, 38k from a broker or 28k at a dealer with an 08 plate
Value at 3 years a bit scary but possibly more sell-able then than a V8 Q7
Reliability a worry

X5 - not really interested
But talked to dealer, has waiting list new but group not taking them as PX as they cant shift them and make a profit. He admitted this state of affairs was confusing

XC90 - outside contender
Havent spoken to a dealer but all recent S/H stock is way more expensive than I can buy new from a broker. Also all stock is band G whilst a new model from the broker has the new band F engine
From valvo website GFV at 3 years is 33% of list which is poor, although possibly par for the course

Cayenne - not a chance :)
Stunning bargains to be had, but I just dont want one

So who else is looking?

In particular Id welcome thoughts on anyone with info on the Q7

If that takes a hammering, which it must soon, then Id be interested but I am not paying top dollar and just dont believe the Audi sales staff telling me the Q7 is immune to the depreciation that has hit everything else
To be honest with looks only a mother could love, an image that must keep Greenpeace in business and dirty thirsty engines I can see it going the way of the Cayenne

Cheers

Theo
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - MikeTorque
A Q7 will lose around £20k or 50% of it's value within the first 3 years. The Audi sales people can't shift them due to Q7 being very expensive to run and own and they drink fuel.

Also 4x4s and SUV's are being dumped all over the place as people switch to more economical vehicles. You can expect a Q7 and all the other motors you mentioned to depreciate even faster in the weeks/months ahead due to their high running costs and the switch away from such vehicles to more economical vehicles.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Alby Back
If that is the sort of car you want and I guess you must have your reasons, then fair enough. If you are looking to keep it for a very long time then the depreciation factor may not be a particular concern. If, though, it is likely that you will change it again in a couple of years or so then I guess you know that it's value will very likely drop like a stone no matter how good a deal you negotiate now? If this is not a worry and this is the car for you, then go for it I say.

For my own point of view, I just have never really "got" this type of car. I have had Land Rovers in the past when I needed and wanted the off road ability and now that I don't I use estate cars. Each to their own and enjoy whatever you choose.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - madf
Buy one and help solve the Government's taxation problems.
And lose lots of money as it depreciates like a brick.

You know it makes sense. It's only your money so spend it unwisely. :-)

Edit: You would be better off to burn a fiver every day - except Sundays when it's a tenner . And not buy the Audi.

Edited by madf on 31/08/2008 at 17:46

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Brian Tryzers
That still only loses you forty quid a week - about £2,000 a year. Quite an underestimate, I'd have thought.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - nick
If you can live with the looks, Subaru are doing good deals on the 3 litre auto Tribeca and do an lpg conversion.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I don't quite follow your statement that the Disco is £10k cheaper from a dealer than from a broker - the other way round surely or I am I being more than usually dim/dyslexic? Is it that dealer one is 2nd hand and the broker one truly new?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 31/08/2008 at 18:49

Yes dealer D3 second hand vs new from a broker

I completely appreciate anything I buy will be worth massively less immediately thus am keen to be as merciless as possible when striking a deal

I actually can justify 4wd and the practicality of the extra seats is a boon due to family issues

The Tribeca looks superb :P
Id say 12k in a years time fully loaded assuming they actually register any out of the dealer network which they probably wont :)

We 'need' 4wd before the next winter

Although my heart says Q7 around Christmas at a stunning price, my head is still saying buy a spare set of rims and M+S tyres for my existing car which has depreciated fully and is mechanically good for another 10 years at least

But then a V8 Cayenne at under 20k...................
Yes madness I know, I probably wouldnt even let myself out of a side street if I was in the driving seat :)
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Nsar
I wondered if anyone would mention the Tribeca - surely the least shiftable car in the UK right now.

Audi Allroad? Holds it value well and probably a more pleasing car unless you need ground clearance?

At the risk of repetition of what I have said elesewhere in some form or other, wait till next year.
With a recession and another 500,000 on the dole, prices will go only one way.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Optimist
Go for it if you want it.

Of the options you've mentioned I think the X5 looks the best. The Tribeca looks, er, ugly and the Q7 as though it was meant to be a boat.

If it were me and money were not a consideration I'd have a top of the line Range Rover.

Someone mentioned the waste of money. Who was it who said that yachting was like standing in the shower throwing ten pound notes down the drain?

You money. Your call. Looking at the cars around right now I'm not convinced that SUV's are becoming less popular.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - cjehuk
If it were me I'd take a Q7 3.0TDI or a Range Rover TDv8 (Sport or Full-fat depending on your preference). The Q7 will do over 30mpg on a run quite happily and high 20s while running about town. People would like to believe the bottom has fallen out of the market for any vehicle with (comparatively) high fuel consumption, it hasn't fallen out, it's just reduced a little from where it was.

On your other options there... the Discovery is a nice vehicle but personally I prefer the Range Rover's looks, the XC90 run by a colleague did 3 years of toil and he wasn't that impressed with it to be honest. As for the X5, well if you must follow the pack get one by all means, there's nothing "wrong" with it, they just do nothing for me, it's the ultimate soft roader, even more so than the Q7 which can make a mild (Freelander style) step at going off road. The Cayenne is not pretty inside though I can just about cope with outside.

You pays your money and takes your choice, take the one that makes you smile. All motoring costs a lot, make sure if you're going to be parting with the money that you enjoy it.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Chisser
I'm after a nearly new X5 and been watching prices on AutoTrader.They are softening quickly and have often lost about £10,000 in a year!
I will wait a little longer though.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - DP
I'm after a nearly new X5 and been watching prices on AutoTrader.They are softening quickly

Not nearly new I know, but a work colleague picked up a truly mint (two bonnet stone chips and that is it!) X5 4.8iS on an 02 plate, with 77,000 miles, four new Michelins, a full BMW history, every conceivable extra (Xenons, TV, sat nav, rear seat DVD entertainment system etc etc) for £7,500 privately earlier this year. Buried inside the documentation was the original purchase invoice for £57,000!

I've been in it, and frankly to get a car of this size, quality, performance and price for this money seems almost illegal. OK, it does 16 mpg, but its a toy. It gets driven at weekends, or occasionally to work if the weather's too foul to cycle. Sounds like a NASCAR, goes and handles like something of this size has no right to, and is genuinely wonderful in an "I wouldn't want to own it, but I can see why he does" way. :-)

Most of all, in his own words, it winds up the tree huggers, and he says that in itself has given him many hours of entertainment.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - gordonbennet
If you really do want a proper full sized 4x4, probably the best and certainly the most reliable will be the Toyota Amazon, recently new model released with V8 twin turbo diesel with huge torque, but the previous model is extremely capable and very long lived.

Its also the one that will sell for a decent price when your time with it is done, its tough enough to be used for anything, luxurious enough for anyone without being brash, and you won't get turned over by the dealers at service time, and you won't find one on every new build executive estate.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Nickdm
I bought a new XC90 a few months back. Great car, but although I am a huge Volvo fan I would never have paid the UK£35 grand-odd list price for it. I now see that Volvo are marketing an entry-level model for UK£29,995 with a diesel engine.

Why do Volvo seem to charge even more for their thirsty petrol-engined XC90s than the D5 diesel version? Most car manufacturers do the opposite.

And how come the £35-grand list-price-in-the-UK car cost me under £21 grand in the Middle East?! That kind of price difference is not all tax, so who's on the make?!
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - jbif
That kind of price difference is not all tax, so who's on the make?!

The fixed costs of operating a business in the UK can be daunting. Rates, rent, water, electricity, gas, bureaucracy [elf & safety, trading standards, waste disposal and environmental charges, consumer protection laws, bank charges, accountancy fees, public liability insurance, minimum wages, NI costs, pension costs, maternity & paternity leave, minimum holidays*, etc. etc. ]

* There is a minimum right to paid holiday. The main things you should know about holiday rights are:
you are entitled to a minimum of 4.8 weeks (from 1 October 2007)
the entitlement will increase again to 5.6 weeks from 1 April 2009

.. under £21 grand in the Middle East?!

Because they don't have most of the overheads listed above, and they employ "slave" labour from the Indian subcontinent.

Edited by jbif on 01/09/2008 at 16:23

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Gromit {P}
OP: We 'need' 4wd before the next winter

If you need genuine 4wd ability, you can discount most of your shortlist. If you ever intend selling it on, think diesel and some level of practical ability. So of those mentioned in this thread so far: Landcruiser, Discovery, Range Rover.

Of these, the only one I'd spend my own money on is the Toyota, much as I liked the look of the last model disco and current RR Sport.

If you need 7 seats, most smaller 4x4s or 4WD estates are out. But how about a Nissan Pathfinder or Kia Sorrento? The Kia is a tidy-looking capable car, won't have nearly as much money tied up in it, and will still appeal to practical users should you ever need to sell on.

You could always spend the change on a powerboat to tow behind it and enjoy the pleasure of tearing up fivers under a cold shower (aka yacht racing) for yourself :-)
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Nickdm
Valid points jbif, but does all this add up to 15 grands' worth of savings?! They must be getting stock from the factory/importer for around 19 grand apiece!

And most of the salesmen in the dealership out here are Brits, btw, presumably earning as much or more than they would be back in UK dealerships, so no slave labour there?!
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - nick
Out of all the vehicles mentioned, I'd buy a Land Cruiser Amazon. It's likely to be more reliable and better screwed together than just about anything else.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - 02skn
Looking on Autotrader today i see that the prices of the Q7 are dropping at quite an alarming rate. The lowest priced car on a national search is now only £21000. Someone has taken a big hit on that car. A friend in work has one and paid just over 47k last year. Wonder what its worth now?

Edited by 02skn on 01/09/2008 at 18:59

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - davmal
Stopped at Warwick services for a coffee and leg stretch, was thoroughly entertained for the best part of 5 minutes watching a chap trying to park a Q7. He waited until he found two adjacent spaces and plonked it, diagonally across the middle after several unsuccessful attempts at fitting into one space. Don't think it is an ideal "city car", I haven't seen the figures but I would guess that the height/length/girth/turning circle would prevent it from fitting into many multi storey parks etc.
I did not think you "parked" SUVs.

Either abandon them or bash everything out of the way.
That's what I see when I watch them park.

The best car based entertainment that is free. And it happens in every car park...

AQ7 is a monument to the driver's excess of money and lack of taste.

:
AQ7 is a monument to the driver's excess of money and lack of taste

madf:
I hold no such views about anyone's spending habits on anything.
But I am interested to know where you draw the line on in your judgement of "excess of money and lack of taste" and how you arrive at that delineation.

Excess of money?

Depreciation of 50% in one year says anyone with any money concerns would buy at one year ..
So excess of money buying new.

Shortage of taste?

Just look at one. As mentioned by someone else, ideal for a drug dealer .. or a pimp (although I have no friends in either category)

An X5 looks positively beautiful by comparison.
Excess of money? Depreciation of 50% in one year
Shortage of taste? ... ideal for a drug dealer .. or a pimp

:-) Well in that case I think anyone driving a Nissan Almera falls in to the same bracket. ;-)

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Optimist
Oi! Lay off the Almera. Even in jest.

It's nowhere near bling enough for a truly self-respecting drug dealer or pimp.

Now when you look at some models of Mondeo I'd have thought the depreciation and the 19 different model names would fit the bill quite nicely.

Joking, of course.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - NowWheels
AQ7 is a monument to the driver's excess of money and lack of taste.

That's a bit sweeping. So far as I can see, they are regarded as the height of good taste by drug dealers.

They probably also appeal to those who don't give a fig about pollution or the risk to other road-users in driving such monsters around town, or to people with excess cash who like gangsta-rap bling and never need to park ... but they are definitely a good taste item for those who serve their community by retailing smack. (And like SUV drivers, smack dealers get such a terribly unfair mauling in the press).
those who don't give a fig about pollution or the risk to other road-users

Nowheels:
Until you define the point [vehicle size, emissions, risk ] at which you find these things acceptable, your statement has no value.

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - NowWheels
Until you define the point [vehicle size emissions risk ] at which you find these
things acceptable your statement has no value.

Not necessary. All the cars currently in use are ridiculously heavy, far too polluting, and have far too short a shelf-life. However, the point about someone who chooses a bloated monster like a Discovery3 or a Q7 is that they are choosing the worst of breed rather than the best. A Subaru Outback diesel has half the C02 emissions of the Discovery 3 TDV6 ... hardly surprising when it's only 60% of the kerb weight.

It's the same as many other choices in life. The perfect option doesn't exist, but that's no justification for choosing the worst-of-breed rather than best of breed, or even something in the middle.
Do any of these come to mind? "Having your cake and eating it", "Do as I say not as I do", "Politics of Envy", "Money, money money, it all boils down to money" etc.
All the cars currently in use are ridiculously heavy, far too polluting, and have far too short a shelf-life.

So there is no car that is acceptable. [period]

The perfect option doesn't exist, but that's no justification for choosing the worst-of-breed rather than best of breed, or even something in the middle.

But, now you want to tell people how to run their lives according to what you think/believe are extremes in your mind but clearly not in the minds of the manufacturer or the consumer who decides to buy that product.

I thank the supreme being that in the Nanny-UK-State we at still have some element of choice left in deciding how we decide to spend our hard-earned or state-handout money.

I do NOT want to tell people how to run their lives.

And to suggest I - and otheres do - is disengenuous.

The OP asked about a Q7.

I and others posted civil and meaningful comments.
If the OP wants to spend their money, they can do what they like.

And as it still is a free country I am entitled to comment on it.

And if they do not want comments, don't ask the question.

:-)

and finally "clearly not in the minds of the manufacturer or the consumer who decides to buy that product."

I did not see Ford saying the EDSEL was a pile of rubbish. But it was .Or Fiat the Marea.

and so on.

Good natured rant over.

Edited by madf on 05/09/2008 at 15:25

I do NOT want to tell people how to run their lives. ... Good natured rant over.

madf:
;-) no need to get mad and start ranting. ;-)
If you look at my quotes, it should be clear I was replying to Nowwheels, and not you.
And as it still is a free country I am entitled to comment on it.

Ditto. Glad we agree.

I did not see Ford saying the EDSEL was a pile of rubbish. But it was .Or Fiat the Marea.

Clearly then the manufacturer thought there was a market for that product, some people bought those cars, but maybe not the quantities that the manufacturer found viable. [ The Bugatti Veyron is sold at a fraction of the cost of making it, and it exists for a reason ].

Many thanks for the helpful comments :P

My situation is as follows:

We have one car in our family

It has to transport 6 people when needed

It is rarely used around town due to the fact that as a family we walk and/or cycle to work and school
(I admit it goes to the supermarket once a week for groceries and to drop off the recycling)

It also needs to tow and as we now live well off the beaten track down an unadopted farm track 4wd is arguably essential
(For this reason we have mountain bikes not roadies)

Today I thought of you all when we abandonned a trip to take visitors to the station as our drive was washed out and our current car would have been swamped due to the heavy rain sweeping off the moors

I could buy an old LR and keep our current car

However a 2002 Defender produces more CO2 than a new Q7 and does not have a particulate filter, an earlier model would I assume be even more polluting

So thats why I am buying a 'lifestyle' car

Spare me the sanctimonious vitriol

Unless of course you also eat lentils, dont do the school run, dont commute, never drive a car one up and take public transport wherever possible

:)

Theo

But I LIKE sanctimonious vitriol.
:-)
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - cheddar
>>However a 2002 Defender produces more CO2 than a new Q7 and does not have a particulate filter, an earlier model would I assume be even more polluting>>

Better to by a 5 year old RR V8 / X5 4.8i / ML500 etc and enjoy 300 bhp + V8 power because on the basis that your particular Q7 will not be built unless you place and order for it, the embedded carbon in a Q7 3.0 TDi will not offset the extra emmisions of a V8 that already exists.

An issue that gov policy does nothing to address.

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - welshgirl
I drive a Q7 and its an absolutely fantastic car, yes its a bit of a gas guzzler but arent all 4x4's like that?
Its a dream car and the kids love it - even on the welsh roads there is no travel sickness!! Definitely recommended but ensure you keep up the tyre pressures or you'll be buying a new set every 7000 miles!!
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - ijws15
Spare me the sanctimonious vitriol

Most of us here will defend your right to buy the car you want.

We will also defend our right to say what we think about your choice - even if you don't like it.

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - harib
>
Most of us here will defend your right to buy the car you want.
We will also defend our right to say what we think about your choice -
even if you don't like it.

Note that the original thread is over a year old and has been resurrected...
Note that the original thread is over a year old and has been resurrected... >>

Yes, another one to add to the list of old threads resurrected by a first-timer, probably never to be seen again. I shan't be surprised if it was to turn out to be the same person who registers in different names to do this every few weeks!

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - audiA6tdi
tried to drive the father in laws range rover into a multi story at Gatwick airport and it wouldnt fit! Car park wasnt even that old so you would have thought they would have built them to take these cars.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - Bill Payer
tried to drive the father in laws range rover into a multi story at Gatwick
airport and it wouldnt fit!

That would have made you popular if you hadn't noticed until too late!

Colleague of mine almost bought a Q7 and it was only a chance remark by the salesguy that made him check the car park where he lives and it wouldn't fit.
Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - NickS
How about a VW Touareg? A 5.0 V10 TDI would be incredible, and they're much better value used than all premium SUV's mentioned above.

Failing that, my vote would be for a Range Rover Vogue TDV8.

Looking to buy an SUV - is anyone else? - cepi
I've driven my boss's Q7, 4.2TDI a few times, my goodness it goes like a train, power delivery and smooth ride amazing, so quiet, loved it.

Edited by Webmaster on 18/09/2009 at 01:54