00 1.8 tyre choice - ph
Hi. I need a tyre soon for my Mondeo Zetec, and I think another 2 are on the way out soon. The car has alloy wheels and the tyre size currently on the car is 205 50 R16. When I searched for a tyre on various websites some sites mentioned that another recommended size is 195 60 r14. This is the size as on the steel rimmed spare. These are much cheaper tyres. Can I put this size on my alloy wheels (I realise I would have to change all 4 tyres) or do I have to stick with the other more expensive size? Any help appreciated.
00 1.8 tyre choice - jc2
No-a 14" tyre won't go on a 16" rim.
00 1.8 tyre choice - Galaxy
No, the steel spare wheel has a different diameter to the alloys.

The overall diameter of wheel and tyre are, however, the same in both cases.

The alloys must have the low profile tyre fitted, as jc2 has said, you can't fit a 14" tyre onto a 16" rim.

Edited by Galaxy on 28/08/2008 at 14:55

00 1.8 tyre choice - ph
Thanks. The size I've got are £77.81 for Firestone TZ200 from Blackcircles and I think I can get 5% off this. Tyreshopper do Barum Bravuris 2 for £62.50. All fully fitted. Any comments on these choices? I've always gone for premium in the past but this is the first time that I've changed tyres on this particular vehicle and it's more expensive than I used to pay. Should I go for premium?
00 1.8 tyre choice - cheddar
The size should be 205-55/16 unless it has had 17" wheels fitted (std on a Ghia X) which are 205-50/17.

Try Falken tyres, a premium brand in much of the world inc Germany, Japan and the US, most tyre dealers can get them in or look here:

ZE912 or FK452 at around £50 to £55 plus del and fitting.
00 1.8 tyre choice - Galaxy
The size should be 205-55/16 unless it has had 17" wheels fitted (std on a
Ghia X) which are 205-50/17.

No, sorry, the tyre size on a Mondeo Zetec is 205/50 R16 87W as stated by the OP. I should know, I've got one!

I've always bought Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres for mine. Not cheap, but very good!

00 1.8 tyre choice - cheddar
>>I should know, I've got one!>>

Sorry, ignore my comments about sizes, I was refering to Mondeo III.

Falkens though, check 'em out.

00 1.8 tyre choice - DP
I had ZE512s on the front of my Mondeo II. They were decent enough tyres, although not as long lived as the Goodyear NCT5s that replaced them.

Cheers
DP
00 1.8 tyre choice - ph
Thanks for all the comments.
00 1.8 tyre choice - Graemetdci
I would also consider Vredestein Sportrac 3 tyres which I think should be available in your size. They are a very good tyre that seems to do well in independent tests but are priced below the premium brands (but they are certainly not a budget tyre).

I had them on my last car, a Focus, in the 195/60 r15 size and was impressed by them - cost £50 a corner all in. They are a wet weather biased tyre but are also a good all rounder. When I changed my car, they had done nearly 20000 miles but still had between 4 and 5 mms of tread left, and they were on the front.