00 2.0hdi wipers stay on even when ignition is off - Andy_Sav
hello everyone.

ive just tried to google a problem ive got with my peugeot 406 and came across this website so i hop you guys can help me??

the problem ive got is the other night i took my keys out of the ignition and my front wipers carried on and the only way they can stop is for me to take the fuse for it out.

ive tried disconnecting the battery but when i reconnect it they just carry on and as i say the only way they stp is if i take the fuse out from below the stearing wheel.

ive also tried the fuses under the bonnet with noluck and ive looked under the carpet under the footwell because slomeone said they sometimes get et but they are bone dry.

any ideas please guys??

regards

Andy

Edited by Pugugly on 25/08/2008 at 00:47

2000 2.0 hdi front wipers stay on when ignition is - Screwloose
Andy

Have you got a rain-sensor?
2000 2.0 hdi front wipers stay on when ignition is - Andy_Sav
hello mate.

thanks for the quick reply.

yes i have a rain sensor.

Andy
Andy

Have you tried pulling the rain-sensor relay?
hello mate.

forgive me on my knowledge on cars but if you mean the 2 black plugs under the bonnet and the 2 plugs in the fuse box under the steering wheel then yes ive tried unpluging them and the wipers still go when the ignition is off.

Andy
2000 2.0 hdi front wipers stay on when ignition is - elekie&a/c doctor
This year model 406 has probably got multiplexed electronics .The fault you have may be related to a problem in the Bsi unit.(body systems interface).This is part of the inside fusebox by the steering column.The relay for the wipers is integrated in this unit and is not replaceable as a separate item.Is there any evidence of water around and above the fusebox area?hth
hello mate.

there isnt any water near the fuse box because ive also lifted the carpet undernearth the drivers side floor and all the cables seem very dry and no sign of water at all.

is everything pointing towards this BSI unit as ive just been told they are very expensive not only to buy but also to program??

im just wondering the pro's and cons because it will cost me more to replace these parts than my car is worth.

i apprecaite all the replies so far and any more suggestions would be very welcome.

regards

Andy
2000 2.0 hdi front wipers stay on when ignition is - gouger
Hi,i worked for a pug dealer when these were new and i think you'll find it's the wiper motor and not the bsi unit.everyone in main dealers wants to change bsi's or wcu's but i can count on one finger the times it's solved the problem.
i might take a chance on a second hand wiper motor then coz its better than buying a new BSI unit.

is there a way of testing it is the wiper motor before i go and take a gamble on it please guys??

Andy
hello folks.

ive got a second hand wiper motor today and the problem is exactly the same,the wipers carry on even when the ignition is off.

anymore ideas guys as this is now a matter of urgency especially with rain forcast for the north west.

cheers

Andy
Andy

I'd now agree with Doc; this probably wil have a BSI and the relay is integral.

Get the BSI code-read and the actuations tried; if it can't operate the wipers; then you may need a new one.

[If it's all wet; you will need a new one.]
oh dear this isnt good news at all.

whats the best way to go about this? i know the bsi unit is bone dry because ive checked it.

if i take this to a dealer/garage will they charge me full wack to test this ?

also what price range am i looking at to get it all up and running right again and has anyone got any links to where i can buy this part please.

i appreciate everyone taking the time out to try and get to the bottom of this fault for me.

Andy

A new BSI will need configuring and security coding; unless you can find someone with a dealer-level PSA scanner, then it's dealer only.
00 2.0hdi wipers stay on even when ignition is off - Steptoe
Sounds a complicated problem with no easy fix *but* what about disconnecting the wire to the wiper motor from the back of the fusebox and extending this, and a wire from the fusebox, to a switch mounted in a convenient position.

This will do the same job as removing the fuse and, though a bodge, seems a better option than scrapping the car. This fix doesn't, of course, preclude searching for the real fault