School Keep Cleer - Dynamic Dave
Children at a village school could be forgiven for making a few spelling errors when they start the new term.

But a sign painted on the road outside Cumnor Primary School could leave the youngsters even more confused.

Road markings should read "School Keep Clear", but a painting blunder means the letter 'a' of 'clear' has been replaced with an 'e', leaving a message saying "School Keep Cleer".

tinyurl.com/6aqb3u (link to thisisoxfordshire.co.uk)

(lets hope PU doesn't correct the speeling mistake in the titel)
School Keep Cleer - Screwloose
DD

I believe that is now known as "variant spelling." [There are, apparently, no "wrong" answers anymore.]
School Keep Cleer - L'escargot
[There are apparently no "wrong" answers
anymore.]

Definately! (Most common spelling error in the Back Room.)
School Keep Cleer - madf
Off Korse.
School Keep Cleer - krs one
DD, it's skool, innit!
School Keep Cleer - Statistical outlier
Ah, thanks DD. Not so much for the story, but for the nostalgia - I went to Cumnor Primary, and I know Michael Cain, the butcher quoted as well. Ah, memories :-)

Edited by Gordon M on 22/08/2008 at 10:13

School Keep Cleer - scouseford
Why should the school be told to keep clear anyway?
School Keep Cleer - gmac
It would amuze but not surprise me if the gas company sent someone out to fix the spelling and it then read "Skool keep cleer"

Edited by gmac on 22/08/2008 at 10:40

School Keep Cleer - skorpio
Thy cld hve sved paint & splt it usng txt spk
Thy cld hve sved paint & splt it usng txt spk

Huh? I'm not that lazy. I spell words in texts exactly the same way as I spell them in any other form of written communication.
School Keep Cleer - DP
Amusing story. Made me chuckle.
School Keep Cleer - martint123
School seems to be a difficult word!

www.thehumorarchives.com/joke/Shcool_sic
mightyredpen.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/shcool.jpg
toomanycommas.typepad.com/too_many_commas/images/2...g

As Eric Morcambe might have said to Andre Previn ~ "I've written all the right letters, I've just put them in the wrong order."

Edited by L'escargot on 22/08/2008 at 16:26

School Keep Cleer - Altea Ego
>> Thy cld hve sved paint & splt it usng txt spk
>>
Huh? I'm not that lazy. I spell words in texts exactly the same way as
I spell them in any other form of written communication.

Are you aware the world is running out of bits and bytes? Your profligate use of such a precious resource is typical of your generation, with no thought to the future of our childrens digital future.
Are you aware the world is running out of bits and bytes? Your profligate use
of such a precious resource is typical of your generation with no thought to the
future of our childrens digital future.

I hear what you say, but at the end of the day provided we?re all singing from the same hymn sheet and are result-driven, the plurality and core business benchmark of clinical governance and the synergy star rating ballpark risk management pinch point of blame culture will give the best practice value-added fast track silo of networking paradigms and proactive mindsets.

With a 24/7 patient choice envision of performance indicators, the show stoppers on a win-win bottom line will require the empowerment of a modern matron analogous to networking and strategic fit process mapping having no agenda for change or thinking outside the box on blue sky projects.
School Keep Cleer - Ian (Cape Town)
Congratulations, you just won first prize in today's corporate bulldust bingo!

However, you would have got Honours had you used 'moving the goalposts' or 'realigning our core aims'.

Nice on on the paradigm, though! I often interrupt Human Resources types and ask "What exactly IS a paradigm?"
Same as "I don't want the matter Addressed... I want it ^$%#@ SOLVED! Addressing is what you do to an envelope!"
However you would have got Honours had you used 'moving the goalposts' or 'realigning our
core aims'.

I didn't want to be accused of verbosity.
School Keep Cleer - Screwloose
If you lived around there, you'd just have to nip out with a blue road-marking aerosol; underline the "cleer" with a wavy line and add the dreaded - "See me!"

[It must puzzle the universities that students now turn up waving an A* English A-level - who can neither reed or rite....]

Edited by Screwloose on 22/08/2008 at 15:58

School Keep Cleer - Lud
No one has commented on the absurd, telegraphic brevity of the original warning notice painted on the road. How are people to interpret a gnomic slogan like 'School keep clear'? There are far too few words, logos and so on painted on our road surfaces, and the few that are there are too short. It is boring. I remember with affection the republican flags, bloodthirsty threats etc. painted even on country roads, that made driving in Northern Ireland such a joy in the seventies and early eighties.

What is wrong with:

'Beware! High probability of carriageway obstruction through the agency of restless pedagogues and whippersnappers. Conduct your horseless carriage with appropriate circumspection.'

The words should of course be elongated to prevent any foreshortening effect from detracting from their legibility.
School Keep Cleer - Alby Back
" School - Beware of carelessly parked, badly driven 4x4s "

;-)
School Keep Cleer - Pat L
>It must puzzle the universities that students now turn up waving an A* English A-level - who can neither reed or rite....]

They haven't introduced this yet ;). And it's neither ... nor! Sorry, just being pedantic.

Yes, "definately" is a common mistake here, as is "independant". Both of them just look so wrong!

School Keep Cleer - Ian (Cape Town)
I'm surprised the name "Molesworth" didn't feature in the article.

As any fule wood kno...
School Keep Cleer - gmac
Yes "definately" is a common mistake here as is "independant". Both of them just look
so wrong!

However, some of us do it just to keep you on your toes :)
School Keep Cleer - Pugugly
lets hope PU doesn't correct the speeling mistake in the titel)

I dived in there when I saw it - can I settle for silver with "title" though ?
School Keep Cleer - slowdown avenue
to save the lads from needing to spell, they thought yellow xxx would make things simple
School Keep Cleer - gmac
Is this not a sponsorship opportunity for the Oxford Inglish dicshunary ?
Have a little logo next to all the signs which have been verified, more paint on the roads for we bikers to avoid and job creation leading to more tax payers and ever spiralling road costs.

Edited by gmac on 22/08/2008 at 20:51

School Keep Cleer - drbe
Two tourists (British?) have been prosecuted in the USA for defacing signs at beauty spots.

The were caught removing incorrect apostrophes with marker pens and Tippex. They were ordered to pay $1500 to replace the signs - presumably still with the dodgy apostrophes.
Two tourists (British?) have been prosecuted in the USA for defacing signs at beauty spots.
The were caught removing incorrect apostrophes with marker pens and Tippex. They were ordered to
pay $1500 to replace the signs - presumably still with the dodgy apostrophes.

Regardless of whether the signs were incorrect or not, they defaced the signs and should be punished accordingly.
School Keep Cleer - drbe

news.yahoo.com/story/ap/odd_sign_vandals
School Keep Cleer - Lud
It was extremely rude of them. The notice was 70 years old - quite historic by US standards - and hand painted.

If I corrected every mistake of grammar, pronunciation or orthography I noticed, I would have been lynched to death about fifty years ago.
School Keep Cleer - Alby Back
kwite rite Lod.
School Keep Cleer - drbe
lynched to death .

Tautology
School Keep Cleer - Lud
I'm gonna kill you dead drbe...

I believe some people have survived lynchings, although of course many haven't.