Window Mechanisms - Natty Bumppo
Some of you may remember back in May I reported 3 faulty window mechanisms in 18 months in my 04 Megane. Guess what. Last Friday, 15th August, open the FNS window and it refuses to then go back up. Off to Renault Main Dealer. 'Its the window regulator sir' I'm told. That's OK then. It was last replaced in April this year and as your invoice states 'All vehicle repairs and parts guaranteed 12 months' then it will be done FOC.
No such luck. Renault UK Customer Service (now there's a misnomer) stick their oar in and require from me a contributory payment. No threat was actually made but by implication I might not have got my car returned. I was also informed that the 12 month guarantee was only applicable if a contributory payment had been made.
I was in effect forced to pay over £30. I described it as blackmail.
Anyone want to buy an 04 Megane? Trouble is it will cost at least £600 per year just to have windows that operate.

Window Mechanisms - andyp
Plus another 300 quid a year to have a new set of coil packs fitted if its a perol engined model !
Window Mechanisms - jase1
Not forgetting the £60 a pop for headlight replacements ;)

Funnily enough my uncle was around the other day grumbling about failed window mechanisms on his 02 Megane. And the failed windscreen wipers. And the second new battery in 14 months.
Window Mechanisms - stevekay
My local garage loves Renault - the spanners say they would be bankrupt now if it wasn't for the steady flow of Clios and Meganes and Scenics that cross their path. Long live the French!!! PS. They hate the japanese - too reliable.
Window Mechanisms - Bill Blackman
Nothing to do with Renaults Natty, but I was wondering where you got your alias from. Was Natty Bumpo a character in one of Jame Fennimore Cooper's yarns by any chance? It's a blast from the past anyway.
Ago I was going to use Hawkeye but as this had already been spoken for I decided to use his proper name. Well remenbered.
Window Mechanisms - DP
Got mine done on my 54 Scenic FOC on Renault UK earlier this year. Didn't even have to argue.
Delighted with our Renault!

Cheers
DP
DP. The first 3 times Renault paid. I too was delighted apart from the worry of going all weekend with a window that would not go up and the inconvenience of having to take the car in to the nearest main dealer (10 miles) and all the hassle that entails.
However to be forced to pay a contribution for the replacement of a part that had been replaced only 4 months earlier and which, according to the invoice, was 'guaranteed for 12 months' is blackmail.
Window Mechanisms - midlife - what crisis?
If you want some free advice about Renault's demand for payment, why not have a word with your local Trading Standards office?
Window Mechanisms - DP
I was told by the dealer that the replacement fitted was of a modified design and it *shouldn't* happen again.
The original was one of the worst examples of penny pinching engineering I have ever seen. Wafer thin plastic where the control cables attach to the glass carrier. The carrier had literally fallen in half.
What annoyed me just as much was that the actual failed part - a piece of plastic that would cost no more than a fiver even with dealer markup, isn't available as a separate part, and Renault sell you a complete regulator with motor.
I'm amazed the aftermarket hasn't come up with the carrier on its own. It just slides off the top of the runners and would be a doddle to change by itself.
As I say, well pleased with the car overall, but this is an appalling piece of design, and an appalling example of profiteering when it happens.
If mine does go again, I will fabricate a replacement out of metal. Just a couple of folds and some strategically drilled holes.

Cheers
DP

Window Mechanisms - The Melting Snowman
We had two windows go on ours both paid for by Renault.
Final chapter (unless another window mechanism fails).
The Renault dealer, after being threatened with action in the Small Claims Court, has agreed to refund my contribution to the repair cost. My thanks to HJ.

Window Mechanisms - The Melting Snowman
Three down, only one to go then.