97 1.4 Urgent help needed! ignition problems! - jasontrow13
Hi there

i have a peugeot 306 1997 miami 1.4
my key snapped in the ignition, so i got a replacement barrel and key, was all fitted and went to start the car it would not tick over.

i was then told it was the immobiliser in my key thob and to swap the magnets over in the new key thob.

but my new key thob does not have the same kind of magnet in it, it has a chip with buttons on.

so to start the car i have to wiggle my old key thob on the top of the igniton barrel to get it starting, which is a right pain because that means i have to leave the steering wheel covering off to do so.

was wondering if there was a way of taking out my immobiliser all together?
or try another way of solving the problem????

would be greatful for all advice. (i am a novice so please dont get too technical)

many thanks.
97 1.4 Urgent help needed! ignition problems! - Screwloose

Where did you get the barrel and key set?

I've never seen a "chip with buttons on;" there are no magnets in the key-head and you should have been able to swap the head over onto the new key blade - if you'd got the right parts.
I got the igniton and barrel from a scrap yard.

its a key thob with a built in immobiliser button like to unlock the car by a push of a button.

i tried to swap the balde of the new key and put it into the igniton but the same problem persisted?!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 18/08/2008 at 19:25

If your old key was the detachable-head type; then you needed the same head on the "new" key so that you could swap it over. Sounds like you got the earlier infra-red type. [Or a remote-lock key for one with a keypad immob.]

There is no practicable way to remove the immobilizer - and no way that info would go on an open forum anyway. Go back to the scrapyard and get the matching bits.

Edited by Screwloose on 18/08/2008 at 17:58

what bits would i need?

A lock with detachable head key [assuming that's what your old one was?]

Alternatively; take the infra-red key to a dealer; buy a blade the same and swap your old head on to it. [Or buy a complete chipped key to the same number and get it re-programmed to the ECU.]

You have made very hard work of a routine problem.
97 1.4 Urgent help needed! ignition problems! - jimbano
>>>>
so to start the car i have to wiggle my old key thob on the
top of the igniton barrel to get it starting which is a right pain because
that means i have to leave the steering wheel covering off to do so.
>>

Is there a "ring" around the ignition barrel with a wire attached to it?
You should be able to detach the ring and let it hang down.Now cable tie/tape your broken key to the ring if you can. the car should now start using the new key that you have. You may have to try this procedure a few times until you get it right.
If the car now starts, secure the ring & key to the steering column or under the dash and then you should be able to fit the steering cowlings.
The only downside to this is that the immobiliser will now be "off" at all times but on a car of this age, it should.nt matter too much.

James