2008 2.0d Load bay dimensions - consideringestates
Hello, I am considering the small estate from Volvo. The V50 and have looked at the company's website which shows a feature of being able to fold the front passenger seat flat to create a continuous flat load bay floor. Is this really true, as I have also read that to fold the back seats down it is necessary to lift up the bench seat and remove the headrests, so I dont see how the load bay can be flat all the way to the front.

Can the bench seat be removed completely?

what is the maximum width of the load bay, at the smallest point it looks to be 1 metre.

Further, I have seen a picture, whereby the load bay floor can lift up and there is space underneath, in the form of a polystyrene moulding (no spare wheel), can this floor and polystyrene moulding be removed too?
2008 2.0d Load bay dimensions - consideringestates
I think I can partly answer my own question based on knowledge of a V70, I assume the same is true on a V50.

The front seat need to be adjusted right back and low down on height adjustment, that should then make it clear the glove compartment, and so is flipped forward.

The rear seat bench is not folded forward, but merely the seat back folded forward, the cargo floor is then not completely flat, but it is then possible to get a reasonably flat surface all the way to the glove compartment.

On Canidian driver I found this information

"The cargo area is quite roomy for a small car. The cargo floor length to the back seat is 989 mm (39 inches), and with the rear seats folded the cargo floor length is 1766 mm (69.5 inches). With the right front passenger seatback folded flat, total length is 3,060 mm (120.4 inches). The width of the luggage compartment is 959 mm and the height is 685 mm. "

2008 2.0d Load bay dimensions - nozmeister
Hi,

I've a 2006 V50 but I expect that there is no change in the dimensions.

The boot is OK I find apart from when I load up to go on holiday. I have a 2 yr old so we still take a lot of things with us when we go anywhere.

The loadbay is about 96cm wide between the wheel arches and 98 long. It's a bit wider nearer the back and can generally take any pushchair, etc. widthways but not lengthways. From using a focus estate as a hire car the focus is a bit bigger.

There's only about 40cms of height before the tonneau needs to be removed which isn't very much when you've some suitcases.

As far as increasing the load area. You need to remove the head rests and pull up the bench to get a completely flat area approx. 160-170cm long. How easy this is depends on how far you have the drivers seat back. Mine is as far back as it goes as I've 6ft1. This means I need to push it a bit forward to get the seats flat but I don't need to do this very often anyway.

In order to drop the front passenger seat forward the back of the seat folds onto the seat base so it's not quite flat but angles up slightly. Have used this a few times and is useful for DIY shopping, etc. You do need to remove the tonneau and load net to make the most of it though.

Hope this helps. I'm happy with my v50 but I find the economy a bit poor unless you are very gentle with the accelerator, servicing a bit pricey and not too sure about long term reliability (see other posts).

Cheers
noz