Stopping at Giveways - car junky
Has something changed in the way drivers are taught to stop at giveways?

We now have a culture whereby drivers are actually in such a hurry that they do not stop at giveways unless they really have to by braking at the last minute. Why? Do they always anticipate there is no traffic in the road they are turning into?

This is so bad that I now have to anticipate a car always nudging out when I pass a junction. How many times have you seen a car in front of you swerving to avoid a car bumber that is not level with the junction?

Where has this driving culture come from? How can we change it?

Edited by Pugugly on 10/08/2008 at 00:08

Stopping at Giveways - roy59
Give way means means exactly that, give way, it doesn`t mean stop, but the onus is on the driver to anticipate correctly the flow of traffic so that he/she can merge without causing traffic to slow down unessesary(?), that`s the theory but most drivers are so preoccupied with their own agenda that due care and consideration is forgotten, i`ve seen countless instances where drivers have pulled in front of me only to stop a few yards ahead and go shoppng
Stopping at Giveways - Cliff Pope
I've noticed that a high proportion of those that drift out into the main road are not going very far - either stopping or turning off. I think they just see the main road as a small nuisance on their way to somewhere else, rather than something to join and then get up to speed.
Stopping at Giveways - P3t3r
I think it's the same as stopping at red traffic lights. For some reason many drivers are unable to stop behind the white line even if the lights was red long before they arrived. It doesn't make sense to me :(

You do not need to stop at giveways though. In many cases you will need to stop, but if you can see it is clear then you should continue.