1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Caspar
Bought this car a few weeks ago and there was knocking noise when accelerating. I removed passenger side driveshaft and sure enough the inner joint made odd noise when fully extended - if I compressed it slightly against the spring noise went away.
Fitted a new driveshaft and all was ok for 100 miles until, just changing into second gear and letting the clutch out, bang bang bang. Looked at shaft and inner gaiter was off and grease everywhere.
Removed it this morning and tripod bearings look ok as do the recess they fit into apart from some scratches on the very end of the bit the tripod goes into and on the outer ring of the bearings.The metal case the bearing live in is all distorted. Looks like the tripod bearing has come out of the recess when driving along. Obviously this shouldn't be able to happen. Seems like the distance between the gearbox and the hub is too much allowing this to happen?
Ever heard of anything like this? Maybe accident damage could account for it?
Bit reluctant to put another new shaft on just for the same thing to happen.
Thanks for any help.

1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Number_Cruncher
>>Maybe accident damage could account for it?

Possibly, look for damage to the chassis rails which would affect the location of the body side of the engine mountings.

Also check in the area of the lower suspension arm mounting. Does the passenger side wheel look to be cambered in at the top? Is the camber adjustable on this suspension?

Also, check the engine mountings themselves - see if the rubber is in good condition, and is not being strained to one side.

If one side is consistently pulling out of the tripode joint, the other side might be bottoming out!

1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Screwloose

Has it been lowered and was that the correct driveshaft - there are usually many different lengths.
1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Peter.N.
Sounds like screwloose says, the shaft is to short.
Hi
No the car is standard, not been lowered.
I bought the correct driveshaft as far as I know, the motor factors looked it up in the manual and it matched the one that came off.
I'll have a look at the mounting points as suggested.
Thanks
1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Peter.N.
Cold it be that the original shaft was also to short? There is no way that the joint can come apart if the shaft fits properly. Is this the n/s or o/s shaft? if the o/s does it have a centre bearing?
It's the nearside one thats giving the trouble.
1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - madf
How did you remove the driveshaft?
Undo lower suspension arm balljoint?
Hi
Yes I removed lower suspension arm balljoint and track rod balljoint.
I have noticed signs of the front wing having been resprayed on the side i'm having trouble with. Maybe accident damage that's not been repaired properly?
1997 1.1 Driveshaft keeps breaking? - Screwloose

More likely the whole front leg and driveshaft was replaced with a scrapyard one - the wrong one.