Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - Lud
My nephew and his wife, both well paid and working in the modern sector, are thinking of a new car. They are both physically quite tall and substantial, and they have a small child who normally travels with enough equipment for an Everest attempt.

She is the driver, and one who likes driving and does so briskly. He doesn't drive but is keenly fashion and style conscious in some ways. Both function in a fashionably greenish world, which means they don't want the emissions to be greater than those of their present car, a Chrysler PT.

The one I can think of offhand is an Alfa 159 sportwagon 1.8 diesel. That presses all the buttons, front seats possibly excepted, but if necessary that could probably be arranged under the available options. I have tried to put them off Audi which is sure to be boring to their specification, although they could probably afford the RS4 or RS6 I might fancy in their position. Skoda and Volvo seem too unglamorous, although that might not be an insuperable problem. BMW might be seen as too flash in some chattering-classes way I don't fully understand.

I hoped someone here might have a bright idea or two.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - gmac
New Scooby Legacy diesel estate ? They can be one of the first of their friends to drive the new diesel boxer engine and have four wheel drive without anyone outside a motoring forum realising this.

What work do people do in the "modern sector" Lud ?
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - Westpig
X Type estate.

2.0 diesel is 154 g/km...can't imagine the 2.2 is over 175 g/km either.

the SE or Sovereign ones have loads of kit and the leather/wood combination is typically British

even though i'm biased, they look good too
What work do people do in the "modern sector" ?

Communications, think-tankery, computery, internettery... Seems a bit virtual even to me but there's a lot of it and it's where quite a lot of the centre of gravity of things (as you might call it) is located. There's a trivial side and a heavyweight side. Don't expect me to tell the difference with any degree of reliability though. I'm lagging behind the paradigm-shift in some ways. Age thing.

I can spell and write clear sentences, but that hardly counts these days.

Subaru had occurred to me, and I'll put it to them.

Edited by Lud on 08/08/2008 at 23:45

Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - Alby Back
They read like the sort of people who might have bought a Citroen Safari once upon an era. When big Citroens were considered mildly exotic.
Hmmm, a C5... plenty of room in those and the new ones aren't too hideous...
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - MichaelR
I have a BMW 3 Series Touring, E91, on loan at the moment and I've been thoroughly impressed. It's practical, well built and far from flash in SE form, infact it looks rather dull if anything.

The CO2 emissions of the model I am driving are just 125g/km, but it's slow, so get the 320d instead, which is only a few g/km more.
How about, in no particular order and avoiding the automatics as they'll blow your CO2 out of the water:

Volvo V50 - I know you said not but have a look at one, they may be surprised.
Even a D5 is only 166g/km

VW Passat 2.0TSI 140 or 170PS

Vectra, ugly as sin but if they produce offspring no.2 or 3 probably won't need a new car

Astra, no beauty but will do the job.

Toyota Verso - all models except the 180PS model which is 178g/km

New Skoda Superb - I know it's only a salatch or hatchoon but the boot will be HUGE

SAAB 9-3 including the 180PS model at 165g/km

Renault Laguna if you don't like your family very much.

Renault Megane

Peugeot 407 - Not huge load carriers like the Volvo but with that 2.2HDi...

Mercedes B, C or E class - E200 or 220 only models, though a manual Mercedes is just not a Mercedes.

Mazda 6 Estate

Kia c'eed - Suspect not quite big enough

VW Golf 2.0TDi

Jaguar X/Type 2.0 or 2.2 TDi 154-164 g/km

Honda Accord 2.2 CTDi 155g/km

Ford Focus, Mondeo or S-MAX - Need to check the S-MAX 2.2 output suspect it may be around the 175 level.

Citroen C6 2.2 bang on the 175. Not an estate but hatch should be big enough.

Citoen C5 or Grand C4 Picasso

Cadillac Bacon, Lettuce and Sausage - Same mechanicals as SAAB

BMW 520d and 525d - I know you said no BMW's but these are supposed to be the cars BMW excel at.

Any BMW 3 series estate touring up to and including the 330d

you've already mentioned Alfa 159, excluded Audi and my previously mentioned Scooby Legacy/Outback just about cover it I think.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - pleiades
"Stylish" may be questionable and now more of a small suv than a tall estate but the new Forester is now shown on Subarus UK website as being available with the boxer diesel and standard 6 speed manual - 167 gms
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - ForumNeedsModerating
Isn't the 175 g CO2/km a rather arbitrary figure? It doesn't neatly slice-off any heinous VED banding (for now or the future) & BIK is virtually a sliding scale.

Perhaps getting the spec. they want cross-matched with whole-life costs might yield a better compromise? Otherwise they might discount , for example, low depreciating cars that they like & match their needs but whose emissions are just above their target.

Several poster have suggested cars, but with a caveat 'oh, but's it's 180g' or whatever. There's a 'danger' that they might go with too low a CO2 figure & not get what they really like/want/need.
VW Passat 2.0TSI 140 or 170PS

Should, of course, read 2.0TDi
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - svm
I'm in my 30s and could be considered as 'stylish' but many will object. I have had BMWs, Audis (and motorbikes) etc and now own a Volvo V50 estate. Of course some may not consider this a stylish car, interior-wise at least. However, it's a no-nonsense interior that is minimilistic but in my view, looks good for it.

Wonderful car but my only criteque is that leg room in the front (driver and passenger) is a bit tight (I'm 6ft) and there's no foot rest next to the clutch.

Apart from that - a great car.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - nick
I was at a Subaru dealer yesterday looking at a car and both the Legacy Estate and Outback diesels look nice in the metal. The new Forester too.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - DavidHM
If they want green kudos, a Passat 1.9 Bluemotion estate comes in at 139g/km.

On the basis that a BMW is too flash, a Volvo, Mercedes or Jaguar is too "old", and anything mainstream is too common, I think it's got to be a VW or an Audi.

On that basis, the Passat Bluemotion has the same CO2 output as a Golf estate (and, fact fans, is closer to a Prius than a PT Cruiser in terms of g of CO2/km) I think that using those narrow criteria, it would be the winner.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - MichaelR
If they want green kudos a Passat 1.9 Bluemotion estate comes in at 139g/km.

Just goes to show how out of touch VW are. 139g/km for a Passat Estate with plastic tyres, a ridiculously underpowered engine, etc etc?

I am currently driving a 2008 BMW 318d SE Touring - this has a proper engine developing actual power, yet emits only 125g/km of CO2. Considerably less than the Passat 'Bluemotioncon'. Even the 320d emits less CO2 despite powering the 3 Series to 60mph from rest in 7.9 seconds.

If you want a PROPER eco car rather than a load of marketing piffle, you need one of the BMW's.

It also looks really boring and generic so it's not even flash.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - DavidHM
Michael I agree, I'd rather have a BMW by a mile or seven. It's better in just about every way apart from sheer load space and is much greener. Even though a 520d emits less CO2 than a 2CV, there is a section of the population that considers them spivs' cars, about as socially acceptable to them as Jeremy Clarkson smoking a cigarette.

I wouldn't say VW is out of touch though - the Passat's emissions are lower than all Mondeos, even the Econetic, all 407s and more or less anything non-BMW of comparable size, although the Laguna does do much better (still worse than the 318d).
Many thanks to all who have made suggestions here. I seem to remember that Mercedes was ruled out for some aesthetic or image reason. Not sure how they will take to Jaguar wood and leather either.

My own inclination would be Alfa or Subaru in this spec, although of course I would yearn for a 3 litre Subaru. But there seem to be other good possibilities. I will make them look at this thread when I see them this evening.
Stylish medium estate emitting under 175 g/km - oldlag
I too work in the modern sector
I too am quite tall
I too am substantial

despite these obvious shortcomings I can still walk to shops close to home, and ride a bike when weather permits.
Oh I also drive a Ford Fucus which is just the car wat fits those unfortunates who work in the modern sector.

I must get to bed now as my modern sector employment is not getting any easier despite the fact it gets more moderner everyday when I go in there.
and I do need my beauty sleep as its essential when working in the modern sector to be all front and nothing up top
in fact several of my bosses have been promoted and out accelerated their brains in the process
Evenin all......