02 2.0 TDCi Loss of power - Tony M
Recently i have noticed power loss when accelerating. Particularly noticable uphill where i need to change down to get up the hill, whereas i used to be able to steam past others before!!
Nothing seens to have happened, no new engine noise etc, except it sounds like the fan (that blows air into the car) gets louder as i accelerate, which it did not before. the fan noise is direcly related to acceleration.
Any ideas? Much appreciated before i take it to a garage.

Thanks

{typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/08/2008 at 14:52

02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - Screwloose

There is no TDi; is this a TDDi or a TDCi?

Check for a split intercooler or hose.
02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - Tony M
Apologies, it is a TDCi. Thanks will look at the hose. I assume it is easy to spot? (Not being any way mechanically minded!)
02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - Screwloose

They tend to split in the most inaccessible places; but look for spits of oil from the leak.

Revving it stationary may help you hear it.
02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - Tony M
Thanks for the reply, will have a look this weekend. The engine compartment looks pretty crammed so will be fun looking!!
02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - cheddar
If you stand at the front of the car looking at the engine the air cleaner is on your right (the left hand side of the car), there is a pipe from this to the turbo which is at the back of the engine, there is then another pipe that leads from the turbo around to the intercooler (in front of the radiator and up to the inlet manifold at the front of the engine, it is the turbo to intercooler to inlet manifold section that is likley to cause the symptoms you describe if it is split / loose.
02 2.0 TDi Loss of power - wazmitch
I have the same problem but my Mondeo is the TDCI....just checked out today the 2.5 inch pipe between the engine and the battery and it was split underneath...not tried car yet to see if problem is fixed but will account for the loud 'air' type sound i am sure...fingers crossed

Remove the plastic engine cover and look for traces of soot deposits (my tell tale sign was on top of radiator). I cleaned it down with de greaser, super glued split and tightly wrapped electricians tape all around it as a temporary fix until i get a new one.

I have suffered big style with this "big loss" of power and having had the car chipped 12 months ago to around 160 bhp (so i am told by turbo chips) was an exciting car to drive but now down some 10 mph on daily hill climb to work....hope its fixed!

waz
02 2.0 TDCi Loss of power - don626
>> Recently i have noticed power loss when accelerating. Particularly noticable uphill where i need to
change down to get up the hill whereas i used to be able to steam
past others before!!
Nothing seens to have happened no new engine noise etc except it sounds like the
fan (that blows air into the car) gets louder as i accelerate which it did
not before. the fan noise is direcly related to acceleration.
Any ideas? Much appreciated before i take it to a garage.
Thanks

Hi can you tell me if you've found your prob and what it was as my '54 mondeo ghia 2.0 tdci is beginning to do the same thing and it would help if i know where to begin looking. Cheers